Author Topic: Newbie: keyboard suggestions?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline panda

Newbie: keyboard suggestions?
« on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:19:04 »
Hi all! I am new here. I'm looking into getting a keyboard with cherry mx blue switches or something that feels similar. I have only tried the razor blackwidow and SIIG JK-US0112-S1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823191003) at fry's. Unfortunately, I can't find any other stores that sells mechanical keyboards for me to try.

So here's what I think about the two I've tried so far. I dislike the siig keyboard. The keys feel loose and the keyboard feels light and cheap. I don't really know what kind of switches the siig keyboard uses. I really like the feel of the blackwidow. However, I am not too fond of the build, and it is still too "loud" and gamer-ish. I mainly plan on using the keyboard for work. I'm also just not fond of razor products.

Anyone have any suggestions? What is the general consensus on das keyboards? I am also considering getting the rosewill rk9000 from newegg. Rosewill tells me it is supposed to be available in September. Thanks!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:37:38 »
Addesso Mechanical Pro? I poked at one in a shop recently. It seemed fairly good quality for it's price. Pretty similar to current Cherry boards.

Offline panda

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 15:08:10 »
Addesso Mechanical Pro? I poked at one in a shop recently. It seemed fairly good quality for it's price. Pretty similar to current Cherry boards.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will be going to microcenter after work today. They say they have one in stock. Hopefully they'll let me try it out.

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 15:12:48 »
Thanks for the suggestion! I will be going to microcenter after work today. They say they have one in stock. Hopefully they'll let me try it out.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 15:12:52 »
are you willing to buy online too?
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline panda

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 15:14:23 »
Quote from: Mazora;382763
are you willing to buy online too?
Yes. I would just prefer to try the keyboard out for myself.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 15:30:47 »
I went to my local MC to find Cherry boards to test.  None of them were out of the box and the clerk said the only option was to purchase it and return it if I wasn't satisfied, he would not open a unit for demo purposes.  I didn't want to go through the trouble so I started checking the boxes of that model KB to see if I could gently open one.  They were all tape sealed until I got to the last one on the shelf behind everything else.  It was open and in sharpie was written: 'Demo Unit' all over the box.

Just something to look out for.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens