Author Topic: Mechanical Tenkeyless Search  (Read 1171 times)

Offline HybridCore

Mechanical Tenkeyless Search
« on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 03:16:08 »
I'm new to geekhack but I've been on Overclock.net for a bit and know most of my stuff. I wanted to thank some of you guys for the warm welcome.

Anyways, I'm looking for a tenkeyless board for my first computer and I'm currently deciding between the Leopold tenkeyless boards and the Ducky 1087 (possibly the Filco Tenkyeless boards. I'm still deciding on a switch since I have not felt any of them in person. Fortunately, I'm in Japan right now and can go try out boards. I'm not really looking at anything specific between the boards. I'm only looking for the best value. Thanks in advance.

-HybridCore-
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline scribble

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 06:19:35 »
all good quality boards, i'd say the Ducky is the best for its value, since i think they'll be especially cheaper in Japan I believe (or maybe it's Taiwan).

Leopold might be extra cheap in Japan too actually.

Blue switches would be my choice if you don't need something quiet, otherwise i'd go for brown or red :P
The clicky sound from the blue makes casual typing SO fun, and it can make typing a paper that much better.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue | PLU ML-87 Cherry MX Red

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 07:23:59 »
Thanks scribble. I've been set on blue switches for a while since I won't really game. I'll probably spend my spare time trying to get into programming or playing around with Arch Linux.

Can anybody here list the differences between the Ducky and Leopold? Build quality differences, PCB differences, layout differences, and others are all welcome. I want the best board I can get that will instill happiness in me for a long time.

Also, does anybody know where to find Cherry MX PBT Keys with japanese and english print? I want to remember Japan (specifically Akihabara since it will be the first place I actually felt and seen mechanical switches along with computer shops at the first store nearby. I also don't have a good camera so the pictures will be terrible) as it will probably be a long time before I come here again.

Recommendations are also fine. Try to recommend a tenkeyless since I don't use numpads and want a tenkeyless to save space. However, I'd like to stay with Ducky, Leopold, and possibly Filco. KBC too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:13:42 by HybridCore »

Offline darkblader

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 07:48:38 »
The KBC Poker with PBT Ketcaps is pretty cheap.

120$ for MX Red switches.
CPU : Intel Core i7 920 @ SNK-P0035AP4 | RAM : takeMS 12 Gb DDR3-1333 | GPU : AMD FirePro V4800 1Gb | MOBO : DFI LANparty JR X58-T3H6 | SSD1 : Crucial C300 64 Gb | SSD2 : Intel 320 120 Gb | HDD1 : Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1Tb | PSU : Scythe Stronger 500W[/COLOR]

Filco Majestouch 2 | Topre Realforce 103 U-UW | Deck 82 Ice | KBC Poker | Cherry G81-7000 | Sun Type 7 | Apple Keyboard (MB110D/B)
[/SIZE]

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 08:11:25 »
Considered.