Author Topic: Boards that have brown switches + TKL?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline KYing

Boards that have brown switches + TKL?
« on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 03:21:08 »
Hi there, people of Geekhack.  I've been lurking on these forums for a while in search of information about a prospective mechanical keyboard purchase, and have decided to take the plunge.  I've heard that brown switches are a good middle ground useful for gaming and typing, and I have some space restrictions on the desk that I have that make tenkeyless models the ideal form.  

I've narrowed down my search to the Leopolds sold on elitekeyboard.com or a Filco tenkeyless.  After shipping and tax is taken into account, the Leopolds will run ~$130, and picking up a Filco from Armygroup will cost about ~$110-130 before shipping, which i guess is about $20?  Filco on Amazon cost around $140-150, but comes with, for me, free 2day Prime shipping.

So, the questions i have are as follows:

1) to those who have done business with Armygroup, how long did shipping take, and how much did it cost exactly to ship to the US?
2) Is there a substantive difference between Filco Majestouch 1 and 2?
3) Are the substantive differences between Filco and Leopold build quality/durability?
4) Any other recommendations that fit the criteria mentioned above?  (Brown switch, TKL model, enough rollover appropriate for gaming)
5) Are there any other sources for Filco boards that offer reasonable prices?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 09:39:04 »
armygroup shipping was about 40-55 dollars. EMS is never cheap.
the difference between one and two is small, not really worth the money you pay for it.
The filco is apparently superior, but some say it's not worth the price difference.
Look at Ducky 1087 maybe? They seem to have gotten better build quality after the first batch?
No other good sources, unfortunately. Go for the Filco on amazon or save some money with a Ducky, which'll run you $85 shipped from PCHome. NKRO, although it uses an aluminium plate, so it's lighter than a Filco.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 10:33:00 »
Personally I can't stand Cherry-style stabilizers. I much prefer the Costar style. And I'm ridiculously picky about it. That right there puts Filco > Leopold for me. I got all three of my Filcos from Amazon, couldn't be happier.

Offline KYing

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 19:20:35 »
Just bought a Ducky 1087 with Brown/Blue switches from PCHome.

Shipping should take around 3-4 business days, right?

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 19:33:15 »
Something around there, there's a chart about shipping times...
http://global.pchome.com.tw/?m=manual&no=26#01
4-5 days, yep.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 July 2011, 22:14:50 »
Quote from: ripster;383342
Welcome to Geekhack.  What's TKL?

A company that makes guitar cases