Author Topic: PCB Condom??  (Read 2488 times)

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
PCB Condom??
« on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 12:34:00 »
I just got my 11900 (with Cherry MX Blacks and the trackpad, nice condition, too) and, of course, pulled a cap to see whether it was Blacks or not... it is, but the whole PCB and all the switches are covered in a thin membrane.  For lack of a better term, I'll call it a condom.  It makes the caps fit tightly, but I'm wondering how it's affecting the board.  Could this make my switches feel different?  I'm assuming this is just a protective feature to keep spilled substances off the PCB, but I've never seen one like it.  Anybody have any experience with this?  Is there some legitimate reason for this to be on the board that I haven't deduced?
This board is WAAAAAAY quieter than my 11800 with MX Browns.  I'm guessing that's because it doesn't bottom out as easily?  Glad I didn't get the Das Silent, because I LOVE my Blues.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline SecrtAgentMan

PCB Condom??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 12:44:06 »
Protect the PCB in case of spillage?

Dampen noise?

Offline sordna

PCB Condom??
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:04:12 »
The switches are covered too? Very interesting, please take some keycaps off and post a pic!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
PCB Condom??
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:19:28 »
Same reason as any other condom. Protects the internals from spooge.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:27:31 by keyboardlover »

Offline Ascaii

PCB Condom??
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:26:45 »
something like this?

Usually these membranes are only on special order boards used in military/industrial environments, im surprised a "standard" cherry board would have been fitted with one.

Would you mind taking a picture for me?
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Ascaii

PCB Condom??
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:30:11 »
youre comparing apples and oranges again, rip^^

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
PCB Condom??
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:38:06 »
Is it just me, or does it smell like ownage?
Actually, I think Ascaii was referring to how you posted a pic of uncovered switches, whereas the OP said his switches are totally covered.

Offline Mazora

PCB Condom??
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:40:13 »
are these dye sub keycaps?
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Ascaii

PCB Condom??
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:48:57 »
got me there rip. The TG3 membrane is a bad comparison because it works very differently, it is a thicker material with individual domes for the switches, while the membrane op describes sounds a lot like mine, a thin foil that remains between stem and cap. I must say this alps board feels horrible due to the membrane, since the tension of the foil causes neighboring switches to wiggle whenever a key is pressed.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
PCB Condom??
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:11:29 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21882[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 21883[/ATTACH]
I pulled one off the H key so you can see these ARE MX Blacks (it comes off separately from the rest of the condom... odd they'd cover the shaft of the switch when it's sure to be jammed into the slot of the cap.

And let the **** jokes commence!

Quick Edit:  I tried to show that the PCB and the base of the switch is also covered... those parts are actually connected, unlike the bit over top of the stem.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
G80-11900.

Offline Ascaii

PCB Condom??
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:18:52 »
Thanks! Very interesting, definitely better execution then on my board, this membrane is actually fitted to the switches. Nice find!

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
PCB Condom??
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:33:09 »
Naaah.  I buy shrink film as part of my job (packaging company) and this isn't that.  It does have a similar feel to some of the Cryovac film, but this is really well planned out.
G80-11900.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
PCB Condom??
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:36:05 »
Quote from: Ascaii;385490
Thanks! Very interesting, definitely better execution then on my board, this membrane is actually fitted to the switches. Nice find!

I'm not sure whether to pull it off or not.  It doesn't seem to be hurting anything.  I probably will pull off the little bits on the stems, but just because it makes me push down too hard on the caps when I replace it.
G80-11900.

Offline The Solutor

PCB Condom??
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:39:42 »
Quote from: Ascaii;385418
I must say this alps board feels horrible due to the membrane, since the tension of the foil causes neighboring switches to wiggle whenever a key is pressed.

The bl82's  silcone sheet is a true robber dome, it add tactility and stiffness to the keyboard, making it not pleasurable too.

Btw i tried to use it w/o the the springs and the keyboard still works, the keys become nice when pressed, but a little slow to regain its position.

I'm sure that with a very soft spring (something like 10 or 15g)  the end result will be something topreish.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Ascaii

PCB Condom??
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 13:00:03 »
do it, ****ing DO IT^^

Offline The Solutor

PCB Condom??
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 14:16:24 »
Quote from: Ascaii;385930
do it, ****ing DO IT^^

Well a bit of laziness and the stupid way TG3 use to solder the LEDs has prevented me to do it.

And after all, the best thing came out, with Italian ideas and German manufacturing, like the Golf car, isn't it ? :eyebrows:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)