Author Topic: Laundry machines suck...  (Read 1777 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Laundry machines suck...
« on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 13:56:01 »
A while back my dryer died and I tried to fix it by getting the appropriate parts.  Went through the whole diagnosis and got the cheapest solution first:  thermostat.  NOPE.  Then I bought an entire controller board... NOPE.  Talked to a real repair guy and he said if it still don't work after all that replace it.  So I did even though I had $300 in brand new parts that are impossible to unload.

So today my farkin washing machine decides it can't pump out the basin.  I never knew there was a pump filter until I looked it up online because they hide it.  Pop the kick panel up front and there it is.  Get the wet/dry vac going and pop the filter cap.... 1 baby sock from ~6 years ago and a ton of metal parts that as best I can tell came with the machine (which I got new).  A 3.5" hexagonal tube, small steel axles (maybe those were from MatchBox Cars?), a 4" long 1/8" round aluminum tube with a bend in it... and some other random bits of metal crap.   WTF?

At least now when the machine says it'll be done in 39 minutes it's reasonably accurate instead of off by 15-20 minutes.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Laundry machines suck...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 14:02:13 »
Belts and knobs are easy.  My dryer is a gasser, not electric.  It ran perfectly fine on any setting that wasn't automatic.  Automatic was just too damned convenient to live without.  Being that I didn't want to blow up the house, the new one was a good idea.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline audioave10

Laundry machines suck...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:54:24 »
A handfull of Vaseline fixed my house heater for ten years once. Anyway, hope you fixed it OK.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Laundry machines suck...
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:12:12 »
Five loads later, still running like a champ.  Without all that crap in the trap the pump can empty the basin in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TexasFlood

Laundry machines suck...
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:24:33 »
I've fixed my clothes washer and dryer several times, thanks largely to sites like applianceguru.com.  I've also found some good stuff on youtube at times, although with some real misleading crap so be careful.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Laundry machines suck...
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:33:53 »
Yeah, I've used google to learn how to tune a chainsaw (Husqvarna 272XP, 24" bar), cut down a tree (actually it's 20 trees now), rebuild a Mikuni carburetor, and so much more!  8)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT