Author Topic: what's the most desirable - brown, blue, or black?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline N8N

what's the most desirable - brown, blue, or black?
« on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 19:38:59 »
subject says all...  am considering buying a new keyboard and immediately modding it to clears (or maybe ergo clears - haven't tried those yet, but I'm fairly certain that I'll still prefer straight clears.)

So the question is, what would be the most useful switch to buy from which other keyboard enthusiasts would want the stems and springs?

I've already got two boards w/ browns...  but should I buy blues or blacks?  Or are browns really that popular that there'd be a market for leftover brown stems and springs?

I know that I probably have no interest in any of the "stock" switches, just going at this from a "who would actually want my leftovers" marketability standpoint.

Also, any opinions on whether it's easier to do mods like this on Filco vs. Leopold?  (yeah, I know, either one's going to be a PITA.  But I want what I want...)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 10:55:26 »
Brown and blue stems/springs should be easy to get rid of. Blacks, probably not so much unless someone is specifically looking for stems for some ghetto reds. Can't remember offhand whether black and clear springs are the same (IIRC, not quite), those in blues and browns are.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 01:48:46 »
I think with all the people already having done ergo clears, brown stems are easy to find. I know The Solutor has a bunch.

So I'd guess blue.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 03:26:45 »
So the question is, what would be the most useful switch to buy from which other keyboard enthusiasts would want the stems and springs?

If you mind to resell the stems, i believe the browns are a better option.

But

with a blue board used as a donor and swapping the springs between the boards you will end with a beige/ergo clears board and a cyan one. And both of them are more than interesting for different aspects.

The beige one will be soft and tactile, likely the best kind of switch out there, while the cyan one is still interesting because resembles the model Ms boards...

It's a board where you can type safely w/o bottoming out but the travel needed to register is clearly perceptible because the click, very nice too IMO.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 07:49:17 »
Hmm... was thinking of buying a Filco and just turning it into clears...

I haven't yet heard of "cyan" - you're making a good case for me to just get another POS board as a stem donor just so I can try 'em (e.g. buy a new Filco.Leopold with blues and a POS board with clears and swap *only* the stems...) only problem with that plan is that a plate mounted board is going to be harder to swap...  so I really need a cheap board with blues to try that first....  because then if I don't like ergo clears better than regular clears I will be a sad (broke) panda

I guess springs for blues and browns are the same?   I should probably try to get some more clear stems 1st, swap 'em into one of my browns boards then decide...  (I can't give up my clears at work unless I find something that I like better.)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)