Author Topic: HHKB Wrist Rest  (Read 22098 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 19:53:09 »
looking to buy a wrist rest for my HHKB Pro 2.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:19:14 »
I'm in for a good wrist rest too

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:28:53 »
Not used but Qtan on this forum sells the short wrist rest for Ducky and Filco.

I have looked for a short Gel wrist rest from like 3M/Belkin but seem to only find the long one or two short for just mouses.

Or I thought of something like this, a latop wrist rest which has probably the closest size to a HHKB2:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-9184801-Laptop-Palm-Support/dp/B002BH4QL4/ref=pd_sbs_op_2
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:35:52 »
yea the short ones fit TKL still a bit too big for the HHKB
i would prefer a wrist rest that was strait across not 2 specific places for your hands/wrists

i was searching the forums a bit and saw that there was actually a licensed one i have no clue if that is available at all though.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:46:30 »
I'm also looking for an official HHKB wrist rest accessory by PFU but couldn't find it anywhere. =(

Here are some pictures of it (the wooden one):

Wonder if we can do a group buy on this one..  if there's enough interest, that is.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:48:35 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:58:44 »
Reaper - didnt know this exisited, would be interested also if you can find it and do a group buy.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 21:59:50 »
Quote from: reaper;386497
I'm also looking for an official HHKB wrist rest accessory by PFU but couldn't find it anywhere. =(

Here are some pictures of it (the wooden one):

Wonder if we can do a group buy on this one..  if there's enough interest, that is.

If you are willing to pay $112 USD + shipping go ahead and buy it from geekstuf4u. I guess I won a free wrist rest ;-)

Or maybe you would prefer  mine

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22165[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22159[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:13:51 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:12:37 »
Quote from: jpm804;386506
Reaper - didnt know this exisited, would be interested also if you can find it and do a group buy.

If we can even find one.  I've read that it's only available in Japan.  The one cactux posted looks interesting.

Quote from: cactux;386509

Where did you get it from?  Source and price please.  =)
Din Eli

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:16:11 »
Quote from: reaper;386516
If we can even find one.  I've read that it's only available in Japan.  The one cactux posted looks interesting.

Where did you get it from?  Source and price please.  =)

I have a friend in Korea who made them for me I will get them some time next week.  I will post the pictures and find out if someone is willing to place some orders. For sure the price will be by far less tan $112 ;-). They 100%  handmade and the process is kind of slow since it requires several layers of oils.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:18:28 by cactux »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:16:22 »
If you are willing to pay $112 USD + shipping go ahead and buy it from geekstuf4u.
yea that price is a bit high for a wrist rest wornder if theres another way to acquire it for cheaper

(Attachment Link) 22159[/ATTACH]
that from a TKL?
the reason i ask id because a HHKB isnt a Realforce

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:18:27 »
Quote from: cactux;386519
I have a friend in Korea who made them for me I will get them some time next week.  I will post the pictures and find out if someone is willing to place some orders. For sure the price will be by far less tan $112 ;-)

Definitely interested.  Keep us posted please.  You know there are a lot of Realforce owners here so there's bound to be some interests.  I'm trying to find this one for my RF and I've commissioned someone to build one from scratch for me.

][/URL]
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:20:48 by reaper »
Din Eli

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:20:07 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;386520
yea that price is a bit high for a wrist rest wornder if theres another way to acquire it for cheaper

that from a TKL?
the reason i ask id because a HHKB isnt a Realforce

I own a HHKB Pro2 and a RF so there are 2 different sizes

Quote from: reaper;386522
Definitely interested.  Keep us posted please.  You know there are a lot of Realforce owners here so there's bound to be some interests.  I'm trying to find this one for my RF and I've commissioned someone to build one from scratch for me.

Show Image
]
Show Image
[/URL]

Be patient I will get mine some time this week and I will post some pictures and if there are enough guys we can place a group buy. I will share whit my Topre brothers ;-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:24:21 by cactux »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:23:13 »
Quote from: reaper;386522

Show Image
]
Show Image
[/URL]

Be patient I will get mine some time this week and I will post some pictures and if there are enough guys we can place a group buy

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:29:03 »
^ Cool!  Thanks man.  It sure beats that $140 (w/ shipping) wrist rest from HHKB and if the price is right, I might even get 2.  One for my RF and another one for HHKB.
Din Eli

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:34:06 »
Quote from: reaper;386532
^ Cool!  Thanks man.  It sure beats that $140 (w/ shipping) wrist rest from HHKB.
that one for the realforce looks nice similar style to my SteelSeries 7G's. But doesnt look very portable with that part that sits under the keyboard

catux is the wrist rest that your having made have any slope to it or is it just flat?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:37:33 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;386535
that one for the realforce looks nice similar style to my SteelSeries 7G's. But doesnt look very portable with that part that sits under the keyboard

catux is the wrist rest that your having made have any slope to it or is it just flat?

The one the has that extra wood part under the keyboard is not mine(check my previous post with some pictures), mine has some slope (The shortest side is 12mm and the longest is 17mm.)

^ Cool!  Thanks man.  It sure beats that $140 (w/ shipping) wrist rest from HHKB and if the price is right, I might even get 2.  One for my RF and another one for HHKB.
Actually, several weeks ago I contacted and I asked geekstuf4u how much will charge me to get me the HHKB Pro wrist rest and they came up with such a magic number, and guess what I said: Thank you but no way JOSE ;-).

The big problem with several Japanese companies is , they wont ship outside Japan and you have to use  a third party which will increase the final price $-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:39:10 by cactux »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:40:11 »
Actually, several weeks ago I contacted and I asked geekstuf4u how much will charge me to get me the HHKB Pro wrist rest and they came up with such a magic number, and guess what I said Thank you but no way JOSE ;-).

The big problem with several Japanese companies is , they wont ship outside Japan and you have to use  a third party which will increase the final price $-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:42:17 by cactux »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:03:51 »
im guessing the ones your having made are being stained. could i get one stained black or real dark grey so it matches my board?
also for trhe HHKB sized one is there going to be the logo on them?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:06:33 by TheProfosist »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:22:53 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;386549
im guessing the ones your having made are being stained. could i get one stained black or real dark grey so it matches my board?
also for trhe HHKB sized one is there going to be the logo on them?

Mine is going to have  just the HHKB logo. My friend is on vacation and as soon as he comes back he will let me know more details about colors,sizes, engraved, etc
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:36:46 by cactux »

Offline agor

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 07:25:43 »
What kind of wood are you using for this?
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:31:28 »
i think that havinf some sort of grippy rubber on the bottom might be nice also though you may have to adjust the heights to take this into account.
also it think that i would like mine without a logo on top at because i a thread a thread about the Filco wrist rest and how the logo rubs so people would flip them over.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 15:32:45 »
Quote from: agor;386718
What kind of wood are you using for this?
i would prefer a hard wood. i really dont know that advanteages/disadvantages between the types of hard wood though.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 04:08:40 »
found another wrist rest for the HHKB from Bird Electron (the same company that makes the cover that Elite Keyboards Sells) http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/keyboards/happy-hacking-keyboard-lite2-the-space-saving-choice-046575

i cant find it anywhere on their store though...
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2011, 04:12:16 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 23:07:44 »
i have found something that will work for now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390302620209&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
i did ask the seller some questions before buying to make sure i could modify it easily to fit the HHKB
i was wondering what materials this is made out of. also would i get its dimensions (LxWxH)? how easy would this be to cut to size?
Hello,
This item is made of Natural Rubber. The width is 19 1/4 in, the height is 3/4 in and the dimensions are
2 1/2 in. If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great day.
Thanks
Amanda
i plan to get one [i know its not leather or wood and its cheap but it should work for now]. if anyone wants pictures let me know.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 02:36:30 »
Definitely let us know how it turns out after you cut it to size... would be interested to  see pics also.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 02:42:12 »
Quote from: jpm804;389789
Definitely let us know how it turns out after you cut it to size... would be interested to  see pics also.
can do. i dont know how how fast it will get here, ebay item usually take about a week or so.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 05:48:09 »
cactux any word on that one that you were having made?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 07:51:04 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;392162
cactux any word on that one that you were having made?

My friend is taking his time. I am not putting any pressure on him since he is making a unique one for me. It shall be ready some time next week. Do not worry as soon as I get it I will post some pictures and we may talk about a group buy.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 04:05:45 »
the wrist rest that i ordered off ebay came yesterday. it was very easy to cut to length but for me it needed to be almost twice as wide so that my wrists could be on it when it was butting up against the keyboard (which i figured to be about 4.5in). otherwise there was a significant gap between the the keyboard and wrist rest (which is one thing i dont like especially when it comes to some thing that doesnt like to stay in place). so what i did was cut a section to the length of the HHKB Pro 2 (11.5in) then cut a 1/4in off of the width of both pieces and glued them together the shorter piece centered in the longer piece. the shorter piece is butting up against the keyboard. if i did it again i would probably buy 2, cut them to length and glue them together. it may end up being a bit wide for my tastes but the seam would be much better (i ended up covering mine in fabric to hide the seam). [strike]If you want pictures let me know i only have before and after as i forgot to take pics while i was modifying.[/strike]

Addition: Im really liking the natural rubber (in foam form?) is firm but has just enough give to be comfy (same principal as those Anti-Fatigue mats). Surprisingly the missing upper right and left parts dont bother me at all (so if you dont mind it looking weird no need to buy 2). Though if you do go the way of of buying 2 you could glue the 2 extra pieces you have together (length wise) and have another wrist rest (possibly fit a TKL wouldnt be long enough for a Full Size i dont think.)

Pictures:

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2011, 05:47:31 by TheProfosist »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 05:22:09 »
Quote from: cactux;392190
My friend is taking his time. I am not putting any pressure on him since he is making a unique one for me. It shall be ready some time next week. Do not worry as soon as I get it I will post some pictures and we may talk about a group buy.
sounds good.

i was thinking about possibly looking to see if one could be made that follows the slope of the keyboard as ive found my 7G's to be very comfortable (which is made that way). i would figure the length, width, and heights using exact measurements of the case making sure to leave room for rubber feet (these no long need to come on the wrist rest i have some extras left from when i put them on my HHKB because i was slipping). Would it be possible to get one with these measurements (once i figure them out).

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 08:12:26 »
stil looking for
http://tinyurl.com/6zz5dor pictures at the bottom of the page linked to bird electron
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/computers/peripherals/keyboard-mouse/hand-made-palm-rest-for-happy-hacking-keyboard.html

anyone find a price btte than this? http://tinyurl.com/6zk527l though it seems a bit thin for my tastes

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 08:14:41 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;435180
stil looking for
http://tinyurl.com/6zz5dor pictures at the bottom of the page linked to bird electron
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/computers/peripherals/keyboard-mouse/hand-made-palm-rest-for-happy-hacking-keyboard.html

anyone find a price btte than this? http://tinyurl.com/6zk527l though it seems a bit thin for my tastes

Also I ended up making my own of wood its by no means perfect but its better than the wrist rest I rigged up before.

Offline lowkey

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:37:32 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;435181
Also I ended up making my own of wood its by no means perfect but its better than the wrist rest I rigged up before.

I don't even own a mech keyboard but I did find this thread via google when trying to find more info on wrist rests--found this site and figured you guys would know best.

Honestly I don't see why more people aren't simply making their own rests based on the prices I've seen a lot of the "leather" wrist/palm selling for for.  And I use the term leather quite loosely, because I highly doubt these are full-grain leather, as if they were, they would not need polyeurethane coatings or anything of that sort.  They're likely top grain (although probably not), "genuine leather" (most likely), or (god forbid) bonded leather.  It's a bit of a shame IMO that something like a full grain leather wrist rest simply does not exist...

That said, I don't see why you guys can't simply make your own wrist rest.  Using some simple tools and a 2x4, you could easily cut a piece of wood into shape, and use something like those huge bulk mousepads they sell at Office Depot on top.  Glue however many you want together on top for your desired level of give, glue some sort of rubberized coating onto the bottom (perhaps simply reversing one of the large mousepads and glueing it upside down on the bottom would work?) and you've got your own custom height/length wrist rest.  Stain the wood or buy some scrap leather to cover it if you're worried about how it looks, etc.  You're talking maybe 20 to 30 minutes of actual work here, so I'm surprised more users haven't gone this route.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:42:11 »
I did make one and it was a fair bit of work:

also i dont know about The Leopold, Filco, and Ducky wrist wrests but I believe that the EliteKeyboard one is fairly high quality. http://tinyurl.com/3decsjm

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:47:10 »
@TheProfosist - It looks excellent. How comfortable is it?
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:51:04 »
Quote from: bootstrap;437889
@TheProfosist - It looks excellent. How comfortable is it?
very its nice sealed hardwood (minus the base hardwood I had wasnt thick enough). I tried to match the angle of the HHKB best I could. The slope should be a tad steeper. O if your wondering HHKB slope is about 7.8 degrees.

Offline bootstrap

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 06:59:13 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;437890
very its nice sealed hardwood (minus the base hardwood I had wasnt thick enough). I tried to match the angle of the HHKB best I could. The slope should be a tad steeper. O if your wondering HHKB slope is about 7.8 degrees.

Thanks for that. I'm now thinking of making one myself - should be fun.
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 07:26:05 »
I closed my Happy Hacking Keyboard Slipping While In Use thread so ill up date what I use to keep things from slipping here.

I was using:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/TheProfosist/GeekHack/IMG_0665.jpg

I have since switched to:
http://tinyurl.com/y94fdxx

and bought:
http://tinyurl.com/5rkhvjo

Offline bootstrap

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 16:08:08 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;437899
I closed my Happy Hacking Keyboard Slipping While In Use thread so ill up date what I use to keep things from slipping here.

I was using:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/TheProfosist/GeekHack/IMG_0665.jpg

I have since switched to:
http://tinyurl.com/y94fdxx

and bought:
http://tinyurl.com/5rkhvjo

One thing I like about this forum is that I learn new things almost every day. (Hey, I'm a noob.) One thing I hate about this forum is that I learn about new things I want to buy almost everyday. I got to have those GeckoStrips... now on the shopping list.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 16:35:15 »
The wrist rest looks amazing, would love to see it in ebony, that would look sooo nice
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 16:55:14 »
Quote from: tsangan;438336
The wrist rest looks amazing, would love to see it in ebony, that would look sooo nice
yea just made it out of a space piece of hard wood that I found.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:22:34 »
When I bought my Leopold with Clears I also got myself the Medium 3-star Handmade Leather Palm Rest from EK which I have been using more with my HHKB. It may be a tad long but it is by far the nicest wrist rest that I have used that I bought a fullsize for use with my 87UB 45g and 23UB.

Offline Kisakuku

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:25:19 »
But nothing beats the smell of a new OEM HHKB wrist rest.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:28:35 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;474604

Yep.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:29:17 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;474604
I personally think that they are too thin i much prefer 3.5in or greater ones over the standard 2.5in ones.

Offline Kisakuku

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:30:55 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;474611
I personally think that they are too thin i much prefer 3.5in or greater ones over the standard 2.5in ones.

Form > function.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 14:31:33 »
The clear Bird Electron one interests me but I believe its no longer made or carried anywhere. And the PFU one is readily available just for a VERY steep price.

Offline fim

HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 05:50:02 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;474614
The clear Bird Electron one interests me but I believe its no longer made or carried anywhere. And the PFU one is readily available just for a VERY steep price.

Readily available? Do you know where I can find one? Geekstaff4u no longer has the PFU one in stock  and I can't find any other stores that have it for sale.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 12:46:56 »
I still want the wood one from PFU but looks like geekstuff4u doesn't have it anymore ;(
Keyboardless

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
HHKB Wrist Rest
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 21:02:50 »
O had no clue that they no longer carried it maybe it is no longer produced?