Author Topic: Looking to buy some keycaps  (Read 7174 times)

Offline CookieCutter

Looking to buy some keycaps
« on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:53:58 »
Hello all,

I currently have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and I'm looking to get some keycaps for it. I read that different keyboards have different key profiles. Would I be able to use keycaps from the Das or a Filco on the BWU?

The "panic" escape keys from pimpmykeyboard caught my eye. I heard they do not come in cherry flavor anymore but is there any way to get keys like these for cherry keyboards? If not, the escape keys with the figure running away with a keyboard also caught my eye.

Also, I want to have different keycaps for the letters in my name. Would there be a better way of doing this aside from buying a complete set?

Thanks for the help.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 00:08:50 »
You could use most of the keys from a Filco compatible keyset, except the entire bottom row which is different on the bwu as it has 1.5 and 1 unit keys instead of 1.25 unit keys for ctrl alt win. You also would be left with the original caps for the macro keys unless you bought some singles.
Signature Plastics may have some MX compatible panic keys left. You can email and ask them.
I haven't seen single legend keys of letters for sale, but I haven't ever looked. Blank keys are easy to come by in whichever row you need them from. You could always put a WTB ad in the classifieds for specific letters, you never know.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 00:18:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack and you should definitely join qtan's group buy.  Lots of interesting looking key caps there.

Also I got that "panic" key cap from SP (they own pimpmykeyboard.com) and it works with Cherry MX.  I'd be surprised if they stop making it compatible.

][/URL]
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 00:31:08 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline detriarch

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 01:44:31 »
BW ultimate ? led lights? new keycaps? wouldnt you have to buy keycaps made for the light up keyboards?

Offline detriarch

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 02:04:29 »
BW ultimate ? led lights? new keycaps? wouldnt you have to buy keycaps made for the light up keyboards?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 02:40:22 »
True. If you need backlit style there are not that many options. Check out http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20249-TG3-Data911-Keyboards-w-Touchpad-15-35 for some $15 part out keycaps maybe. These would be good for backlit keys with a more standard font, but won't be a full compatible set.

Offline CookieCutter

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:03:51 »
Thanks for all the replies guys. This is by far one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on. I don't really care too much about the backlighting of the keyboard. Another thing I thought about doing was spelling out my name in the macro keys on the side but I think that would be super difficult because I would have to get letters on keys that aren't usually on those key types. I'll definitely check out those links and see if there's anything I'd want from it.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 23:39:27 »
Quote from: CookieCutter;387078
Thanks for all the replies guys. This is by far one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on. I don't really care too much about the backlighting of the keyboard. Another thing I thought about doing was spelling out my name in the macro keys on the side but I think that would be super difficult because I would have to get letters on keys that aren't usually on those key types. I'll definitely check out those links and see if there's anything I'd want from it.
you could do that check out wasdkeyboards.com. you can get custom keys etched with what ever you want really. they also have a part on this forum as the owner is a GeekHacker

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 02:39:50 »
Quote from: reaper;386587
Welcome to Geekhack and you should definitely join qtan's group buy.  Lots of interesting looking key caps there.

Also I got that "panic" key cap from SP (they own pimpmykeyboard.com) and it works with Cherry MX.  I'd be surprised if they stop making it compatible.

Show Image
]
Show Image
[/URL]

Just got my panic and !@#$% keys from Pimpmykeyboards and they are still selling them as Cherry mx compatible.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline CookieCutter

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 01:05:45 »
I emailed SP and they said there are Cherry MX PANIC keys so I'll definitely be getting one of those. I'm considering doing the black and white checkering now. I've done some searching and imsto's PBT 104 look pretty good http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?16260-PBT-104-keycaps. Ideally I would like to get a set of white keys with blue lettering. Is there any (practical) way of getting these? I've done some reading but I want to be sure there isn't anything like this out there before I pull the trigger on imsto's set.