Author Topic: TypeMatrix 2030 will you buy it?  (Read 9865 times)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
TypeMatrix 2030 will you buy it?
« on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 04:32:59 »
I was just checking out the "new" ergonomic design and I found this guy called  TypeMatrix 2030. What do you think?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 04:56:58 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline gocantor

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 12:34:00 »
I own a TypeMatrix 2020, which is a predecessor of the 2030. It is a more spacious model, with larger keys, and lacks the dedicated navigation keys. I thought it would be even more ergonomic than the 2030.  I got a qwerty/dvorak layout, with the intention to learn to type dvorak... never happened. Moreover, I ended up not adapting to the TypeMatrix layout altogether, although I know of at least one person who's been using it as his main keyboard (dvorak layout) and is very happy with it.

In terms of technology and build quality, I believe it is a scissor switch keyboard, and a fairly robust one.  It's also quite flat, which makes it very easy to carry with your laptop.

I really wanted to like it, but life had proven otherwise ;-)  I'm probably too used to "standard" keyboard layouts, and some habits are hard to change. My $0.02.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 13:04:31 »
I would consider this keyboard, if it had separate, movable halves. I don't like scissor switches as much as cherries though. If you have patience, you can wait for the TrulyErgonomic to ship, which will have cherry switches.

I like non-staggered layouts, but for the forseeable future, I'm sticking with the Kinesis, at least until someone comes up with a split-adjustable, matrix layout keyboard.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline shrap

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 16:33:53 »
I've got one. I believe there is a review in the reviews section too, do a search.

The ideas are ok. I like the middle backspace / enter. But other than that, I can only use it for a short period of time without becoming very frustrated.

The ctrl/alt/shift clusters are very confusing. If you use keyboard shortcuts often, their new sizes and locations will drive you nuts. There is not enough color differentiation between the letter keys and special keys, so when you do get confused and look down at the board, you just see a mess of white keys, unlike older keyboards with their white/grey separation. The blue caps for the alt-functions (accessed with the function keys) are actually more legible than the black caps, adding to confusion.

My primary complaint is that the keyboard is just too narrow (I'm used to split designs), and the key travel is too low. But I got it on eBay for pretty cheap, so I'll dust it off every year or so, curse at it, and go back to something more traditional. Or leave it plugged into my XBox.

I imagine that the keyboard with blank keys would be some kind of horrible torture device.

Offline Forsaken

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 18:46:49 »
It looks nice, but no competition for the kinesis advantage, which I will be staying with.

Offline MarkWilliamson

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 17:04:29 »
Quote from: sordna;386843
I would consider this keyboard, if it had separate, movable halves. I don't like scissor switches as much as cherries though. If you have patience, you can wait for the TrulyErgonomic to ship, which will have cherry switches.

Yes, I was just thinking that sort of design is something I'd like to see.

I like non-staggered layouts, but for the forseeable future, I'm sticking with the Kinesis, at least until someone comes up with a split-adjustable, matrix layout keyboard.

That has a non-staggered layout too, right?  Once you discount all the curves of the actual keyboard, that is ...

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 09:51:59 »
I have a few of them. Like already said, some good ideas but overall not so good as a keyboard can(and should) be.
Mine are in Dvorak layout.

Dvorak coupled with the strange modifier placement was a hotkey nightmare. Switched back to QWERTY standard(Filco, Realforce), glad I did.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:33:55 »
Quote from: MarkWilliamson;387709
That has a non-staggered layout too, right?  Once you discount all the curves of the actual keyboard, that is ...

Yes, the Kinesis Advantage has a non-staggered layout, thank goodness!

Quote from: HaveANiceDay;388081
I have a few of them. Like already said, some good ideas but overall not so good as a keyboard can(and should) be.

I agree it could be improved, but there's nothing better in the market, for me at least! If I had to pick 1 keyboard to use for the rest of my life, it would pick the Kinesis without any reservation!

Mine are in Dvorak layout.
Dvorak coupled with the strange modifier placement was a hotkey nightmare. Switched back to QWERTY standard(Filco, Realforce), glad I did.

I have the opposite experience. Every time I got back to a flat keyboard/qwerty and the ridiculous zig-zag layout that comes with all of them, I find myself much less productive than I am on the Kinesis. But I can understand it's not for everyone.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 11:28:10 »
Oh, I was talking about the Typematrix. If there was a misunderstanding I apologize.
I didn't try a Kinesis.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 14:06:50 »
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I haven't tried a Typematrix, but it looks a bit cramped. Since you are in Europe, have you tried getting 2 little POS matrix boards (Access-IS or Tipro) ?  You can create a split/adjustable keyboard this way !

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:09:47 »
Seems like a perfect opportunity to trot this one out again
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22537[/ATTACH]

Edit - there a few of these boards on ebay uk now for around £20.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:13:59 »
Dvorak too !!! Is that yours? How do you like it? Can you customize it yourself, or it needs to be done at the factory? Are switches movable without soldering? Sorry for the flood of questions but this is awesome.

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:49:32 »
Quote from: sordna;388225
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I haven't tried a Typematrix, but it looks a bit cramped. Since you are in Europe, have you tried getting 2 little POS matrix boards (Access-IS or Tipro) ?  You can create a split/adjustable keyboard this way !

I've kinda returned to the dark side, and may never go back :)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 17:33:18 »
buy a Tipro keyboard (cherry blacks plate) and make your own ergo layout like you prefer.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22545[/ATTACH]

Offline sordna

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 18:04:34 »
Is that yours CeeSA ? Can you explain how double-length keys work? Are there 2 switches beneath them, or are switches movable?
I see a lot of photos of Access-IS and Tipro keyboards with all kinds of keys (some double length, some occupy 2x2 space, etc) and some open spaces (no switches) like hoggy's and I'd like to understand how all that works. Can you explain?

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 02:32:37 »
yes, it is my board. You have 128 single switches in a 16x8 Matrix. the doubles, covers 2 switches. there is also a quad, but for normal typing it is less usefull.
All switches are fully programmable with macros or single character or special commands like strg+alt+del in 4 Layers!
The heart in Tipro boards are the Controller. Your are also able to add some modules w/o controller.
You attach modules physically and also to controller at the main module.
There are staggered boards from typro too. There are - for example - the shift keys (1,25 or 1,5)with a little space left and right to fit the rows....
The spacebar in staggered boards from typro have some sort of stabilizer.
company homepage tipro.net/
feel free to ask me some more.

Offline hemflit

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 06:30:24 »
I'd like to try a matrix layout, but none of the existing ones look laid out "right enough" for me.
Some day, some day I'll make my own, like that Humble Hacker guy. That was a pretty decent matrix layout. Maybe I should just copy his and be done with it.

Quote from: CeeSA;388375
(Attachment Link) 22545[/ATTACH]

I can't help but read the "Leer" and "Taste" buttons in English. :)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 01:13:58 »
Quote from: sordna;388313
Dvorak too !!! Is that yours? How do you like it? Can you customize it yourself, or it needs to be done at the factory? Are switches movable without soldering? Sorry for the flood of questions but this is awesome.

It's two access akc090's.  Reprogrammed in firmware using a program called softprog which is free from their website.  

Reset one of the boards into something else - the length of the two boards as just too much for the shoulders when it came to using the mouse.

Offline sordna

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 01:25:18 »
Here's a smaller, 72-key ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Access-Keyboard-EPoS-Keyboard-/220815304953?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item33699e28f9

I would love to find a pair of akc048 though... 48 keys per side would be perfect for a split keyboard.

Quote from: hoggy;390266
the length of the two boards as just too much for the shoulders when it came to using the mouse.

Did you try to rotate the boards 90° ?  You could build the split keyboard in that orientation too, no? (if your desk has enough room that is)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2011, 01:29:27 by sordna »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 14:09:12 »
I tried it, but the cables seemed to get in the way a bit.  My original design had a dvorak layout if laid out horizontally, and another qwerty layout if swapped around and turned vertically.  http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?10874-Access-keyboards/page2

The main problem is that I now use an ergotron sit stand station, and the size of the keyboard tray is a complete joke for anything that isn't compact in some way.  The number of columns that way would need some serious thinking to get a good layout.

I've made an offer on that board, but he hasn't got back to me...

Offline adrien239

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 07:43:35 »
I had one but sold to a friend.

Too small for me and not numeric pad is a problem in sport for timings

But nice touch and small you can also take it with you in travel...