Author Topic: noppoo choc mini vs plu-ml 87 vs kbc poker  (Read 4955 times)

Offline detriarch

noppoo choc mini vs plu-ml 87 vs kbc poker
« on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 01:19:12 »
I was thinking of getting a new keyboard with cherry mx-blues and i was browsing the forum and saw these three different types of keyboards. I want a small space saving keyboard so if any one with any experience about these keyboards can you tell me the advantages of them and the disadvantages.

Much appreciated

Offline mr626

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 01:22:27 »
Hi,

You might want to take a look into my thread here, as a few people have already posted about the PLU and KBC

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20303-Smallish-keyboard-KBC-Poker-vs-PLU-ML-87

Regarding the choc mini I'm not sure. I considered it myself but there's just something about the layout I don't like. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of reviews of it on here though.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 01:56:26 »
I'm a little bias here and will recommend the Poker Blue since I have one, but honestly I do like the size of the poker and the clicky-ness of the blue switches.

I had a noppoo mini (browns though) and sold it since it was the odd man out of my keyboards, while a sold feeling board since it was plate mounted keyboard and the keycabs felt nice.

The size of it was basically between a Tenkeyless and Poker.....I defintely like the size of a Tenkeyless, but when I want something portable I would go to the poker instead of the noppoo mini... maybe its just me.

The PLU ml 87 havent tried yet, but would defintely like to try since size wise its inline with a filco, leopold Tenkeyless and would like to compare the quality with them. From what  I have read they are pretty good keyboards for the price if you dont want to splurge on a filco or leopold.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline bojinglebells

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 04:12:29 »
PLU ML-87 is a tenkeyless keyboard, basically just your average mechanical design sans the number pad

pros:
- should be the least expensive of the bunch
- standard design and layout should require little to no learning curve and would be friendly for simple keycap replacement mods

cons:
- least number of features (examples below)
- might be only 2KRO

Noppoo Choc Mini is a compact tenkeyless board where it has most all the physical keys of a tenkeyless but they're just compacted in on the rest of the board so that its about a half row shorter and two rows narrower

pros:
- most features, for instance its a compact tenkeyless but it has the most dual-function keys, including a number pad and media keys
- arguably best overall product quality
- NKRO over USB

cons:
- least mod friendly, for instance replacing key caps (whether for look and/or feel) is one of the easiest mods yet the relatively unique compact layout  (some keys are unique and others are reduced in size) of the Choc Mini as well as its dual function keys makes that more difficult to do than with a board like the PLU ML-87.  Luckily key quality on the Mini is actually a major strength so this is less of a con overall, at least IMO... but I also think its one of the uglier keyboards because of some the secondary label color choices so its not a negligible con, again, at least IMO

KBC Poker is a 40% board where its basically just the main cluster of keys found on your average keyboard

pros:
- most compact/portable of the bunch
- very mod friendly (PCB mounted keys makes for easy switch/spring replacements or adding LED lights, and while PCB mounting might be less desirable due to keyboard flex it is also easily modded to reduce that effect)

cons:
- lack of physical keys might be a deal breaker for certain applications (particularly games) that make heavy use of those particular keys (F and arrow keys).
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2011, 04:19:07 by bojinglebells »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco M2 TKL R - SteelSeries 6Gv2 - Cherry G80-3494 - Razer BlackWidow[/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline weipim

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 05:08:20 »
Quote from: bojinglebells;388002
PLU ML-87 is a tenkeyless keyboard, basically just your average mechanical design sans the number pad

pros:
- should be the least expensive of the bunch
- standard design and layout should require little to no learning curve and would be friendly for simple keycap replacement mods

cons:
- least number of features (examples below)
- might be only 2KRO

Noppoo Choc Mini is a compact tenkeyless board where it has most all the physical keys of a tenkeyless but they're just compacted in on the rest of the board so that its about a half row shorter and two rows narrower

pros:
- most features, for instance its a compact tenkeyless but it has the most dual-function keys, including a number pad and media keys
- arguably best overall product quality
- NKRO over USB

cons:
- least mod friendly, for instance replacing key caps (whether for look and/or feel) is one of the easiest mods yet the relatively unique compact layout  (some keys are unique and others are reduced in size) of the Choc Mini as well as its dual function keys makes that more difficult to do than with a board like the PLU ML-87.  Luckily key quality on the Mini is actually a major strength so this is less of a con overall, at least IMO... but I also think its one of the uglier keyboards because of some the secondary label color choices so its not a negligible con, again, at least IMO

KBC Poker is a 40% board where its basically just the main cluster of keys found on your average keyboard

pros:
- most compact/portable of the bunch
- very mod friendly (PCB mounted keys makes for easy switch/spring replacements or adding LED lights, and while PCB mounting might be less desirable due to keyboard flex it is also easily modded to reduce that effect)

cons:
- lack of physical keys might be a deal breaker for certain applications (particularly games) that make heavy use of those particular keys (F and arrow keys).

very good summary man,

i think all 3 worth the price

for under 70 dollars, ml-87
between 70-90, choc mini
cheaper HHKB style: poker

Offline Wihl

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 08:03:21 »
I love my Noppoo Choc Mini. I was having the same problem when I was trying to decide what new keyboard to get. In the end I got the Noppoo because I liked the keycaps and I really like the compact look of the layout.

If you want to get replacement keycaps in different colors in the future, the Noppoo might not  be the best keyboard out there. The spacebar isnt available anywhere so you are stuck with an ugly noppoo logo on it unless you decide to sand it down or whatever.

When you look at pictures of the Noppoo remember that some of those are of the old version with the questionable lettering.  As I understand it there is the old version with very faint and uneven lettering, the new one with white lettering and one with good brown/gold lettering

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 09:40:34 »
born in the streets
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 09:45:58 »
bits
Keyboardless

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 11:20:00 »
stib
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 11:33:48 »
Textbook thread degeneration

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 12:41:00 »
I've owned all three, and all three are decent build quality but I kept my Pokers and sold the others.  PLU I think has the best value of any keyboard around.  Poker, to me, is the most elegant of the three.  The Noppoo seems less "designed" and more "assembled."
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bojinglebells

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 17:41:22 »
Quote from: heedpantsnow;389980
I've owned all three, and all three are decent build quality but I kept my Pokers and sold the others.  PLU I think has the best value of any keyboard around.  Poker, to me, is the most elegant of the three.  The Noppoo seems less "designed" and more "assembled."

while I might agree that the Choc Mini seems like a clumsier design, it simply does not compromise on function.  The Poker is hard to beat for its value as an extremely compact/portable keyboard, but if you need physical F or arrow keys then you're SOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco M2 TKL R - SteelSeries 6Gv2 - Cherry G80-3494 - Razer BlackWidow[/SIZE][/FONT]