Author Topic: Can keeping a keyswitch (cherry) depressed for a long time cause damage?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline nilzie

I was wondering if keeping a key depressed for a long term could cause any damage to a cherry mx switch spring? Also, how about pushing/hitting the keys sideways? Is it bad for the stabilizer?

Offline Asp

Can keeping a keyswitch (cherry) depressed for a long time cause damage?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 13:45:59 »
Being depressed for a long time is sure to cause permanent damage. Hire a good psychotherapist ASAP.

Offline Bird

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 13:46:38 »
You could also ask if pressing of the buttons during regular usage does any damage to the springs over time. Some kind of wearing out of the springs...

Offline Bird

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 14:32:18 »
I don't know what a congress is, neither do i know what the FAA is and what it's budget is for. I'm really sorry. Is it about metal fatigue on planes? :D

EDIT: http://www.dot.gov/budget/2012/budgetestimates/faa.pdf will have to work through this one as soon as i lose my occupation.

Offline nilzie

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 14:36:39 »
Thanks. My question is if keeping a key pressed down would damage the springs.

Offline nilzie

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 14:53:51 »
My bad I didnt mean for a short period of time, lets say having one key pushed down for 8 hours straight.

Offline Bird

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 14:53:56 »
You should avoid high temperatures while executing your holding down plans,  high temperatures accelerate ageing effects. You could end up having mushy Keys after only 13 years of depressing.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 15:51:25 »
If you're going to hold down the W key for 8 hours, you're running too much! Stop and take a breather!
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwasdwsswwaawwwwwwwwwwwwww    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  ybunny hopping rocks

But no, don't worry about the switch. It's meant to last. A spring would fatigue more by moving than by staying still.
If you're not going to have it down for a month at a time, it'll be just dandy.

Offline nilzie

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 16:04:42 »
Quote from: ripster;395992
Are you blocking my posts or is the InterToobs clogged?
Sorry Im not so great at reading English.

What happened was that someone left a book on my keyboard while I was away. The control key was pushed down. When I tried it again, it seemed easier to push down than before. But Im thinking it's more in my mind than reality. But seems I don't need  to worry.

And one time the arm rest of my chair hit the control key pretty hard too. Was thinking that it's possible that I damaged it.

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 02:04:05 »
Quote from: nilzie;396035
What happened was that someone left a book on my keyboard while I was away. The control key was pushed down. When I tried it again, it seemed easier to push down than before.

Sounds like a good mod to get lighter feeling switches, stack books on a keyboard for a few weeks, who's gonna rip-o-meter it?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard