Author Topic: A "not-so-big" buckling spring keyboard?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline wompwomp

A "not-so-big" buckling spring keyboard?
« on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 23:00:49 »
I am a proud owner of a IBM Model M and absolutely adore it but there is one problem with it, it's just to damn bulky. So i've been doing some research and I found a few substitutions.

- IBM Model M spacesaver. Seems perfect but they are just too damn expensive.
- IBM Model M2. I've read that this keyboard is extremely problematic and seems do die out a lot. Also, I'm not sure about this but I don't think this keyboard has a "curve" to it. Can anyone confirm?
- Unicomp spacesaver. This keyboard seems perfect as well but I can't really seem to find any information on it via reviews, build quality etc. And the black is a plus.

So does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or advice??

P.S. Does anyone know if they make lighter buckling springs?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 August 2011, 23:03:19 »
I have a Unicomp Customizer, and I'm honestly thinking about trading it in for a Spacesaver. The build quality on Unicomps is, while in my opinion less than that of a say, a Filco, more than adequate. And buckling springs are an absolute joy to type on. I'd recommend the Spacesaver, in USB :)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 00:30:31 »
You could try listing a WTB for an M2 that has been fixed. Or read up on how to fix them. It isn't that they die super often, it's that they generally die after having been sitting unused for a very long time.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 04:22:38 »
Quote from: wompwomp;396247
- IBM Model M2. I've read that this keyboard is extremely problematic and seems do die out a lot. Also, I'm not sure about this but I don't think this keyboard has a "curve" to it. Can anyone confirm?

It has no curve. The "back plate" is flat and the key caps on all rows have the same profile.
This means that you can rearrange the keys to Dvorak, Colemak etc. if you want to, but the feel is weird if you are used to a curved keyboard.

The case is a rectangular plastic box made of a top and a bottom. The "back plate" is just the bottom of the plastic case, and a thin flimsy metal sheet for surge protection. Because of the flimsier construction, it is louder than a Model M.
🍉

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 05:00:03 »
- IBM Model M2. I've read that this keyboard is extremely problematic and seems do die out a lot.

It has just a couple of electrolytic capacitors that are prone to the failure due to the age, they are cheap and easy to replace, but as any other model M opening and reassembling the keyboard it's time expensive.

The keyboard is not curved like a model M but is not flat as a Deck legend, it's stair like as most Olivetti boards, and is confortable enough.

But keep in mind that given the absence of the steel plate the board sounds more plasticky than  a model M but this is a "problem" easy to overcome just gluing  a metal plate on the back of the keyboard, with silicone or other elastic glue.

I got mine for 15 euros and I consider them good spent altough I'm not a fan of buckling spring's feeling
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 August 2011, 09:44:14 »
Quote from: The Solutor;396328
It has just a couple of electrolytic capacitors that are prone to the failure due to the age, they are cheap and easy to replace, but as any other model M opening and reassembling the keyboard it's time expensive.

The keyboard is not curved like a model M but is not flat as a Deck legend, it's stair like as most Olivetti boards, and is confortable enough.

But keep in mind that given the absence of the steel plate the board sounds more plasticky than  a model M but this is a "problem" easy to overcome just gluing  a metal plate on the back of the keyboard, with silicone or other elastic glue.

I got mine for 15 euros and I consider them good spent altough I'm not a fan of buckling spring's feeling

AHA!

I still have a few working M2s I would sell for 15€ like solutors board^^.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 02:48:07 »
Guys if any of you would like to trade Customizer for Endurapro please PM me :)
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline javifast

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 02:56:29 »
Buy a Unicomp Spacesaver. It's a great keyboard. And you can buy one new.
Perhaps another option is look for a space saving IBM model M,....but the price is very high.
Or buy a M2 to Ascaii,...he's a good guy and that keyboard is cheap.
Too many keyboards....