Author Topic: Cherry Keycap Compatability  (Read 2679 times)

Offline tystees

Cherry Keycap Compatability
« on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:06:57 »
So lets say I have a G80 keyboard, and wish to replace the keycaps. What keyboards can I purchase to salvage the keycaps? Is this even possible? Is there a surefire way to tell what boards are compatible?

Offline N8N

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:19:53 »
it depends on what exact keyboard you have, and what your goals are.  Is it a standard 104-key layout?  Be aware that Cherry uses an off-center switch for the space bar so some minor modding may be required to use e.g. Filco keys.

Different Cherry boards may have different bottom row keys, and while G81 keys are mostly compatible, they have a nasty habit of using off center caps locks and sometimes even bottom row keys.  (got two of those myself; gonna pick up some epoxy tonight to start modding so I can doubleshot my Filco.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:28:59 by N8N »
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline tystees

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:22:52 »
Really, so for example if i have a cherry blue, not all cherry blue keycaps will fit on the keyboard?

Wait lets say i have a 104 key layout, wouldnt any cherry caps fit on them? Or am i completely missing something..
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:36:03 by tystees »

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:49:30 »
any cherry MX stem should accept any Cherry MX (and most MY) keycaps.  BUT not all layouts are the same.

Also, Filco/Das/WASD keycaps are a different profile than Cherry keycaps, along with the aforementioned space bar differences, so if you replace one with the other it's best to do it in full sets.

Information overload 4 u:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Key+Reference+-+Pics+and+specifications+for+various+manufacturers+keys
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 15:59:50 »
You would have the opposite of the problem that most people here have. Most people are trying to find Cherry doubleshots for their Filco/Das keyboards so the trouble we have is that often the front row keys have off-centered stems. You wouldn't encounter the same problems since you own the Cherry keyboard. And when it comes to ordering new sets of keys from group buys, you would have to watch out for those front row modifier keys and probably the stepped and off-centered stem Caps Lock key.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline tystees

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 16:26:07 »
N8N you saved the day yet again.

Ahhh i see, thank you Atenacius for your wisdom.

Ok, so if i was to rekey an entire 104 key keyboard, and it is in the ISO format, could I convert it to ANSI?
-Ok so basically I would make a post in the classified looking for someone who is getting rid of their plain pbt keys and they are putting on doubleshots? I do not care of the cosmetic finish, since i plan to retrobrite and dye with RIT anyway. Would anyone be interested in that?

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 16:57:54 »
Downgrading to ANSI is not easy but possible

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=155
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline tystees

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 17:14:20 »
When you say downgrading what exactly do you mean....

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 17:24:47 »
Quote from: tystees;397239
When you say downgrading what exactly do you mean....

Nothing, just a long series of jokes with ANSI people :happy:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 17:35:21 »
Quote from: N8N;397181
Different Cherry boards may have different bottom row keys, and while G81 keys are mostly compatible, they have a nasty habit of using off center caps locks and sometimes even bottom row keys.  (got two of those myself; gonna pick up some epoxy tonight to start modding so I can doubleshot my Filco.)

Another thing to mention is that you can't use any of the longer keys (Enter, Shift, Space bar etc) from a Cherry G81 (MY switch) board on a Cherry MX switch-based board. These keys have stabilizers -- and those are different with MY and MX switches.
🍉

Offline tystees

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 17:35:51 »
Ahh haha completely fooled me...

Offline tystees

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 17:38:02 »
So anyone who has an extra set of pbt keycaps check out my listing... http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20911-Your-cherry-pbt-keycaps

Offline N8N

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 18:24:44 »
Quote from: Findecanor;397249
Another thing to mention is that you can't use any of the longer keys (Enter, Shift, Space bar etc) from a Cherry G81 (MY switch) board on a Cherry MX switch-based board. These keys have stabilizers -- and those are different with MY and MX switches.

Actually I am doing just that right now (actually putting Cherry doubleshots on a Filco.  Literally watching the forum while pulling keycaps from a MY board)  if you're going Cherry to Cherry it's no problem.  you just need to remove the stabilizers from the MY keys and put the stabilizers from the MX board on - they fit in the same posts as the actual switch stems.  The space bar is the exception - the MY space bar uses a completely different stabilizer and more modding (and spare key caps) is required.  You have to cut all the stabilizer crap off the MY space bar and glue in two posts for the MX stabilizers.  But since I don't have a moogle kit handy that's what I'll be doing in a few.

Now if you are going Cherry to Filco - then you need to mod the space bar even more because the actual switch is centered on a Filco and off center on a Cherry.  But you don't need to cut the post off - just glue an extra one in the required position.  I'm going to make a jig w/ all four post locations for a 104 key 'board so I can go either way.

You definitely have to mod the caps lock though if it is stepped and possibly the whole bottom row (ctrl, alt, win, menu)

Offline tystees

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 22:32:50 »
So then N8N would you happen to have any pbt cherry keycap sets???

Offline N8N

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 22:36:57 »
I do actually have a white/grey lasered PBT set for 104-key either ANSI or ISO...  (same set, I just have both enters and backslashes.)  also a few odds and ends for smaller boards.  From Cherry boards, fairly worn but serviceable.  I'd thought about using it but decided I liked the doubleshots better even if they are ABS.

What exact board to you have?

Offline tystees

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 23:15:09 »
Ok well i messaged some another user on this site for their PBT keys, if it does not work out would you mind if I pmed you?

I plan on putting keys on a G80-8200LPBUS

Offline N8N

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 23:36:05 »
not at all!  but if you have a G80-8200 (is that a "rawko" board?) it already has PBT keys (I'm looking at one right now.)  in fact most of the keys in this set came from whatever the similar board with a touchpad is called - i traded for one of those to get the clear stems.  Pull a keycap and see - should have "PBT" molded into the underside of the keys.  (I'm not sure what the relegendable ones are though - those aren't marked and I haven't tested them.)

Offline tystees

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 09:43:15 »
Yes it is a "rawko" board haha yes but i plan to modify the board significantly, painting, dyeing, etc and will need more keys. I plan on modifying the chassis of the board -trying to make it smaller - 'for science' ;D - I despise the see-through keys, and would plan eliminating them...
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2011, 09:54:35 by tystees »

Offline N8N

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 10:07:00 »
I got you.  Let me see what I have and get back to you.  I don't think I have any arrows or nav block that aren't the same type you have, and the alphanumerics etc. will be identical to whatyou have, but I might have some white/grey F-keys from a MY board if I haven't cut them up for doubleshot mods yet.

Edit: I apologize, I was going through my keycaps this AM looking for ones to scavenge stems from for epoxying onto the bottom row of this doubleshot set...  the partial set that I thought I had has relegendable F-keys, not normal ones.  The full set that I have is from a G80-8200 so it's going to be exactly what you have now, except that I also threw an ANSI enter and a 1.5x backslash into the bag in case I needed to throw keys on a standard 104 board.  Doesn't look like I have any non-relegendable keys for you other than ones that you already have, sorry.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2011, 11:32:23 by N8N »

Offline tystees

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 21:53:33 »
Ok thanks anyway man