Author Topic: Favorite Topre Realforce Board?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline dvanaria

Favorite Topre Realforce Board?
« on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 13:10:14 »
Mine's the 87USW (the white 87U with "silent" and weighted keys).

I love the Topre boards and have bought several different kinds. I also have the same model in the all 55g weight, which I thought was my favorite until I got this new one (you can buy them online at EliteKeyboards - it kind of pisses me off they have a monopoly on selling these in the U.S., but even still, i think the keyboard itself is worth what they are charging).

So anyway, why do I like this one best? The variable key weight is just easier on hands. It really is much less work to type on these boards. For the first few weeks I think I was seeing a lot of aaaaaaaaaaaa and ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; mistakes on my screen, but somehow I just got used to this and now I never see them.

The other thing about these "silent" versions is the sound of the keys is very cool, in my opinion. If you've ever seen videos on YouTube for the Happy Hacking keyboards, if you were like me you thought the sound was worth the price alone. Well, this is the only version of the Realforce that I can say really sounds like that. I use it at work, and they keys are not very audible but can still be heard. Except for the spacebar, all the keys have this satisfying "thock" sound.

Anybody else agree on this?

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 14:40:50 »
I just received my 87U silent today and really do like the quieter keys.  What's up with the space bar though?  All my keys are really pretty quiet, even the back space key.  But the spacebar definitely is louder than the rest of the keys. Overall I do like the keyboard very much though.  The space bar noise is not on the down stroke but the spring back on the upspring.  

This is my 3rd topre board and I do like it the best.  My first was the black full sized board and my second which I'm selling this weekend was the 86U also in white.  I liked the 86U but when I saw that the more silent version was out, I had to have it.  The 86U was really barely used at all and the guy that's buying it is getting a sweet deal.  I guess I'm all set with purchasing any additional keyboards............unless a HHKB comes available in white in the silent version with arrow keys.  :rockon:
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2011, 15:50:22 by nhwhaup »
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 14:51:38 »
Add dampers to the spacebar?  Is the spring fairly easy to remove?  I really don't want to break my brand new keyboard the first day.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 14:58:23 »
Nevermind the last post  - I figured it out.  I used the soft landing pads and stretched them out a bit so they fit on the two side parts and now it is super quiet as a matter of fact it is even quieter than the other keys.  Thanks for the tip Rip!
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2011, 15:51:38 by nhwhaup »

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 14:59:56 »
I didn't like it without the spring but the soft landing pads stretched over the two side parts where it clips in worked perfectly.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 15:06:01 »
Happy camper now with my Red Escape key and quiet space bar.  :happy:

Now I truly won't be able to pick a favorite between my Filco TKL with the reds or this new silent RealForce.

Offline Crazy9000

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 18:11:59 »
I haven't tried a silent one, but I don't find the normal realforce noisy. It just doesn't seem worth the price upgrade.

I've got a 55g 103ub and a 45g 108b-mp. I prefer the 45g. I find the 45g weighting just about right, and it has NKRO and Red LED's that don't blind you like the blue ones do.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic5090_2.gif[/sigpic]

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 21:06:55 »
Relatively few people have tried Topres, let alone tried multiple versions and even fewer have done it side by side.  Many have a tainted view of them based on the low return on high investment.  Let's face it, it doesn't really do anything a $50 or $100 board doesn't do.  But they are built incredibly well, feel great and offer a great typing experience that most enjoy... then many go back to mechanicals like I always do.  Topres aren't mechanical switches, they're rubber domes with a capacitive spring under them.

For me, I have to use Topres for at least a couple of weeks before you adjust to them enough to type correctly and utilize their capacitive switches.  You just learn to relax and float when you type.  It's very different than any other switch.  If you just pound keys then you probably won't benefit from Topres as much.

For me they are all fun, 55g is more springy and thocky but sometimes it's a bit heavy on the pinkies if you're doing some serious input.
Boards with 30g pinkies were too light for me personally but you can adjust and be fine.  I would ;;;;;;;;;; aaaaaaaaaaaa only occasionally.
The variable 35/45/55 is a great keyboard, I never had issues with pinkies and it seemed to be the easiest to adjust to when coming from mechanical switches
An all 45g sounds fun, I've never tried a HHKB Pro2

The fact that elite had 1 option for the 87u in white made the choice easy for me, if they would have had a uniform layout and a variable then I would have had to debate on it a while but in the end would probably have gone with the variable.  If they had an all 45g then I would have got it because I've never tried one.

And remember, it's not to hard to mod a Topre to be uniform 45g.  Ripster posted how.

I've tried the 103U, 87u variable, 87u uniform 55g, 87u variable silent... they're all great keyboards and there isn't one that clearly outshines the others by any significant margin in my opinion.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4