Author Topic: What switches are these?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
What switches are these?
« on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 16:43:08 »
A friend showed me these keyboards.  What switches are these?  The white one looks like cherry, but it is not.  It feels like cherry blue.

The keyboards are kind of beat up though.

Offline r4pture

What switches are these?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:38:25 »
Left could be Blue Alps the stem looks a little thin, right looks to be Cherry MX Clear
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~

Offline litster

What switches are these?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:45:17 »
It looks like clear, but it is not.  It is most likely a clone from late 80s or early 90s.  It is light and clicks like real MX blue. The keycaps is doubleshot though (black colors).  Other colors look like they are printed on.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
What switches are these?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:48:33 »
Those are vintage Cherry White switches, the original clicky switch from Cherry. EDIT: Actually, the housing looks different from modern cherries.
The Blue switches are Monterey switches
Check the Cherry and ALPS wikis for more info.

Offline DaemonRaccoon

What switches are these?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 17:59:03 »
Judging by the housing on the second one, it's a clone (probably Taiwan's White Axis).
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline litster

What switches are these?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 00:33:04 »
I bought the cherry clone keyboard for next to nothing from the friend (well, friend of a friend).  I had one like this one long ago, before I gave it away...  :-(  The monterey one is very beat up, some keys are misaligned.  So I didn't buy it.  The Cherry clone has double shot keycaps.  So it is worth it just for the caps.  They are SP-thin though.  The keycaps and the case are very yellow though.  Will Oxyclean them later.  

I may have to get some nickels action going later, since it is kind of an rare, unknown switch.  Maybe I should desolder one to see what's inside.  Oh, and it is plate-mounted.

Offline Findecanor

What switches are these?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 05:51:47 »
That's right. I have keyboards with both types of switches.
The blue ones are "Monterey" -- nobody here knows which company that made them, only that they were found in keyboards from a keyboard manufacturer called Monterey, and that name stuck.
The white ones are copies of Cherry MX Blue. The feel a lot like Cherries but are made cheaper.
Both switches were probably made in Taiwan.
🍉