Author Topic: Noppoo Choc Mini key caps  (Read 13880 times)

Offline Hush

Noppoo Choc Mini key caps
« on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 00:42:16 »
Hey new here ^^

I've pretty much got my heart set on this keyboard mainly because of the close F keys, I was also looking at the Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless as I'm from the UK It's not hard to get hold of but Is also a bit more expensive than the choc mini.

My main focus is Sc2 right now (low masters) really just trying to improve my game in anyway possible.

So I really want to like the choc mini but the key caps are really putting me off their so ugly and seems the printing comes off easily, so are their any replacement key caps I can buy that will fit with this board? blank key caps is what I would like (black).

Either going for brown or red cherries :)

Thanks John.

Offline sinis

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 00:44:59 »
this or this should do for most of the keys
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 00:50:25 by sinis »

Offline Hush

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:04:18 »
Quote from: sinis;402997
this or this should do for most of the keys

Oh I'd already been looking at them and thought they wouldn't fit because the choc mini used POM keys or something? :S

Offline sinis

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:18:49 »
pom is only the material. it is Poly Oxy Methylen

they should fit. but not shure about the spacebar and the modifiers. me i dont have a noppoo maybe some OGs here can say something.

I would personally prefer the look of the noppoo keys more than blank ones. noppoo is sexy. if only the contrast of the lettering would be higher. here are some noppoos with high contrast keys, i could watch all day

Offline Hush

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:26:03 »
Quote from: sinis;403014
pom is only the material. it is Poly Oxy Methylen

they should fit. but not shure about the spacebar and the modifiers. me i dont have a noppoo maybe some OGs here can say something.

I would personally prefer the look of the noppoo keys more than blank ones. noppoo is sexy. if only the contrast of the lettering would be higher. here are some noppoos with high contrast keys, i could watch all day

Wow yeah the ones in that thread look very nice ^^

Offline Hush

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:28:47 »
I'm going to order the choc mini now and grab the blank filico key caps aswel thanks! :D

Offline Hush

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:42:04 »
Oh yeah almost forgot still haven't made my mind up over reds or browns :/ I hear they a both very similar.

Offline sinis

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:46:21 »
cant help you with that one. i just own browns which are fine. if reds would have been available for me .... dunno

maybe you ask the wiki

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:57:22 »
I have both, browns feel like reds with some added friction. If you want a tactile switch, I'd go for cherry blues, otherwise my vote goes for the much smoother cherry reds.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Hush

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 01:59:59 »
Yeah just used the search function here and found some good informative threads definitely going for the browns :)

Offline Hush

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 02:02:20 »
edit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 02:15:27 by Hush »

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 05:19:49 »
Hmm, can you hold on the filco keycaps or did the order go through? I only ask because I too was like you and scared I'd dislike the Noppoo keys but when I got them, I was pleasantly surprised. If you could hold/cancel the order, I'd suggest trying out the Noppoo keys and see if you like them or not.

The lettering is actually much higher contrast in person than in alot of pictures you see on the web. I have a photo album link in my signature, check that out for pics of my Noppoo. Granted, that's under flash lighting so it won't be THAT high contrast as it's not like you'll have a light shining on your keys 24/7, but imo it's a good indicator of how they look in person.

Do note that some of my more used keys have indeed starting "browning" however this is not unique to the Noppoo as nearly any lasered white print keycap will start to do this. My Leopold keys starting browning just like my Noppoo so that's just something you have to live with with lasered keys. It's nothing a good dental washing won't fix if it really bothers you.

The thing is, I actually prefer the feel of the textured POM Noppoo keycaps under my fingers to the ones that came stock with my Leo (which should be very similar to Filcos). They were thicker and had a nice feel to them. The Leo stock keys come off feeling a lot thinner and more plasticky, which is why I eventually replaced those with doubleshots.

However if it's really the look of the keys and/or the potential browning of the keys that bothers you so, then the blank filco keys are pretty much your only choice since Noppoo doesn't make blank POM keys. But in terms of just pure feel, I think the Noppoos are clearly superior. And I also like the look of it. :happy:
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline agor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 05:29:29 »
The Noppoo Caps aren't that bad, as BaconKnight already said.
You can also check my pictures at the Deskthority Wiki here, they are without flash and quite a good indicator of how they look with normal sunlight.
You'll also see how keys with high wear look like.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:52:05 »
my choc mini red is on its way and I can't wait to throw my double shot keys on it. I also ordered a set of colorful PBT keys to see which keyboard I should throw it on
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline Mazora

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:57:19 »
i wouldnt go blank if you intend to use it for sc2. But I would try to change the noppoo poor quality keycaps
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Magna224

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 11:56:14 »
The letters wear off quick. I have never had a problem before with lettering wearing off on any of my keyboards until the choc mini which started to wear off the wasd caps after about a month. Only other complaint I have is the backspace on mine rattles a little bit. I do love the keyboard though and I
would reccomend it.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 14:20:40 »
All you guys saying that the noppoo caps are poor quality need to check the wiki. They're thick and POM, better than most ABS caps out there, it's just the lettering that may not suit everybody's tastes.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 15:45:59 »
My favorite keycaps. Love the POM feel, wish the lettering would wear off faster haha.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!