Author Topic: How to straighten braided mouse cable?  (Read 67709 times)

Offline Mitchellderp

How to straighten braided mouse cable?
« on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 16:28:52 »
Well, a while ago, with my PC Gamer sub, I got the free gift of the Ozone Radon 3k mouse.

IMO, it's a POS because the sensor doesn't function properly all of the time which makes it a ***** for starcraft, but whatever...

When it arrived (several months ago) the cable was wound up tight so that it could be easily packaged (herp derp), and for a while I had enough desk space to just let it all hang out.

Now i've moved my PC up to my room, however, space between mouse and monitor is at a premium.  The cable twists to the right a lot of times and so managing it it hard as hell. What's the easiest way to straighten the mouse cable?

Thanks, Mitchellderp.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 17:39:49 »
You probably can't do much except maybe stretch it across a spool or maybe hang it over something and see if it helps, it's always going to be a problem with the cheaper braiding. Or if your into modding maybe recable the mouse cord. But sounds already like it's at the point were fixing it is going to be pretty hard and might not be a permanent solution.

Yeah the R3K uses the Philips twin-eye PLN-2030, probably has some issues like the other laser sensors in the twin-eye family.

Offline Mitchellderp

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 08:25:22 »
Hmm, I might try that hair dryer idea now. If this thing doesn't work, you owe me a new mouse :P

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 08:44:33 »
It's amazing how manu. attempt to justify overpriced gaming mice by putting a useless nylon braided sheathing on them.  I have a Logitech G5 and it herniated on me. Most of the 1 & 2 star reviews on Amazon seem to talk about the sheathing.  

My remedy was replacing the USB cable with a normal one, problem solved.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 09:15:09 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403783

My remedy was replacing the USB cable with a normal one, problem solved.

Obviously is the right idea.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 10:56:19 »
Quote from: ripster;403831
Obviously is normally the obvious solution.
Was that suppose to not make sense, your intention or is it just me?  Shh, don't compare other nationalities to American's, you will make us look worse as is.  I meant the US educational system is fantastic...

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 11:14:06 »
There are those who have observant, enginnering mindsets, constantly looking for newer better solutions. There are those who see in red white and green with what they "know" to be true, requiring no further investigation or application of the scientific method.
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 11:39:27 »
Quote from: Mitchellderp;403481
The cable twists to the right a lot of times and so managing it it hard as hell. What's the easiest way to straighten the mouse cable?

Posting a photo of the problem would help. If it twists sort of like telephone cables do, what untwists it is holding one end of the cable down, and rotating the other end of the cable clockwise or counterclockwise, whatever direction you observe to undo the twisting. Another quick way, is to hold the connector of the mouse, and let the mouse dangle down, it should rotate and unwind itself.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:33:43 »
Quote from: ripster;403869
In the American education system you are taught HOW to think.  Not WHAT to think.

I hope for you that my American school mate was an exception, she was used just to mark yes and no from a list, like a GH poll.

She was completely unable to express a complex thought, in English or in Italian, in written form or not.

In short she learned to not think

Quote from: ripster;403880
Italians and Chinese Basketball refs do tend to be one sided.

An Italian who understand the baseball rules, must have serious some mental problems :biggrin:
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:37:02 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Skylit

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:45:50 »
This may be off topic/not helpful, but I still don't know why people prefer braided cables or list not having one as a con.  

Thin rubber cables are almost always superior for gaming in my honest opinion.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:47:48 »
Quote from: Skylit;403948
This may be off topic, but I still don't know why people prefer braided cables or list not having one as a con.  

Thin rubber cables are almost always superior for gaming in my honest opinion.

That's exactly why I agreed with bluecar.

Offline nala

• sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 16:41:27 »
In my mice inventory, I have a Razer Naga that I use to play WoW and it has a braided cable and I swear its the most worthless thing Razer ever added to their mice. They also promote the mouse with that crap and I'm tired of this braided cable that gets solid as a rock on the each end. **** you, Razer.

Rage mode off.

And to how to straighten it, I have no idea. I tried almost everything but nothing really works as it comes back a week later. Maybe I should try keep the mouse hanging from the adapter for like a week or so after straightening it.
Collection: Filco Majestouch-2 TKL ~ Filco Majestouch-2 TKLRazer BlackWidowUltimate

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:01:46 »
It's rather pointless to try straightening it out.  Even if it was straightened, the sheathing adds rigidity and obviously is the last thing desired on a wired mouse.  What were they thinking?  

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24953[/ATTACH]

There seems to be a trend on eBay in regards to the Logitech G5 mouse USB cable here.

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:05:21 »
It's rather pointless to try straightening it out.  Even if it was straightened, the sheathing adds rigidity and obviously is the last thing desired on a wired mouse.  What were they thinking?  

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24954[/ATTACH]

There seems to be a trend on eBay in regards to replacing the Logitech G5 mouse cable with one having no sheathing, here.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:14:29 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;404098
What were they thinking?

They were thinking that the average dumb user consider that idiocy a feature.

And I'm afraid they were right

Offline Mitchellderp

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:17:52 »
Quote from: nala;404086
In my mice inventory, I have a Razer Naga that I use to play WoW and it has a braided cable and I swear its the most worthless thing Razer ever added to their mice. They also promote the mouse with that crap and I'm tired of this braided cable that gets solid as a rock on the each end. **** you, Razer.

Rage mode off.

And to how to straighten it, I have no idea. I tried almost everything but nothing really works as it comes back a week later. Maybe I should try keep the mouse hanging from the adapter for like a week or so after straightening it.

Well if you really hate it, you can always swap it for the POS that I'm using now :P

Offline sordna

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:23:39 »
Well, there is one functional benefit to braided cables (apart from the looks) over regular cables, they glide more easily over some surfaces. Regular cables tend to "stick" sometimes, depending on their finish.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Konrad

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:30:45 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;403783
It's amazing how manu. attempt to justify overpriced gaming mice by putting a useless nylon braided sheathing on them ... Most of the 1 & 2 star reviews on Amazon seem to talk about the sheathing.
It's amazing that putting a useless celebrity into a bad movie will encourage more people to watch it. It's amazing that putting a useless brand logo on that cellphone or computer or operating system will generate massive revenues. Marketing is amazing. Consumers are happily ignorant about what really matters.

I suggest a compromise.  You can have your cable sheathed and flexible too!  WWII-era industrial technologies provide dominant retro awesomeness yet again.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24957[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:37:29 by Konrad »

Offline Mitchellderp

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:35:03 »
Quote from: Konrad;404116
It's amazing that putting a useless celebrity into a bad movie will encourage more people to watch it.  It's amazing that putting a useless APPLE logo on that cellphone or computer or operating system will generate massive revenues.  Marketing is amazing.  Consumers are happily ignorant about what really matters.

Fixed that for you.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:43:50 »
Quote from: Konrad;404116
You can have your cable sheathed and flexible too!

And you can have a wireless mouse.

Which is surely the better solution, my pc is connected to the internet w/o a wire since 1998, I really don't mind to use a cable to connect it to the mouse. :lol:

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 17:50:02 »
On the subject of wireless mice and cost cutting marketing strategies, it baffles my mind when hardcore gamers debate about the lag of wireless mice verses the wired counterpart and USE A LCD MONITOR.  Oh, the irony.  Read on why CRT's are superior (they don't have fluorescent backlighting that produce microwave radiation) in all aspects when it comes to LCD's, other than LCD's having better text readability, less power consumption and smaller footprint.

Though CPU's and GPU's have made great strides over the years, the consumer trend in switching to slimline LCD monitors represents several steps backwards from a visual performance perspective. Aside from decreased image quality, there are FOUR specific drawbacks with an LCD:

1. Input or Display lag. This is not the "response time" listed by manfacturers. LCD display lag has been measured from 10ms to 68ms. This is the time required for an LCD to process the signal from the graphics card, and then render it on the screen. A CRT monitor has no input or display lag. For a 60hz LCD monitor, this represents being 3 to 4 frames behind its CRT counterpart. Manufacturers do not list display lag as the trend is to increase display lag which affords them a processing buffer to lower response time, which they do list. This is an example of "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

2. Response time. Response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from one value to another and back again. It is measured in milliseconds (ms). Lower numbers mean faster transitions and therefore fewer visible image artifacts. A deceptive practice that has become commonplace with LCD marketing is to list response times in terms of grey scale pixel switching. This would be all well and good if an LCD owner typically watched video in black and white, or if they did their gaming in a monocromatic grey scale. Once color is introduced, a 5ms monitor may require 10 to 15 times as long to switch a pixel from one color to another. This is why ghosting appears on the most expensive LCD monitors. Simply put, when reproducing moving color images an LCD monitor cannot keep up with its 60hz refresh rate. 120hz LCD montiors suffer the same issues. Unfortunately, slow color response time is a source of lag that has to be added on top of the input lag mentioned above in item number one.

3. Refresh rate. One aspect of refresh rate is the number frames or pictures per second displayed by a monitor. For fast paced games, e.g. driving, first person shooters and the like, high refresh rates offer some real advantages. In a first person shooter at 60hz, an enemy moving in your view can appear choppy. When viewing at 150hz, your opponent and your cross-hairs track seamlessly together. The difference is nothing short of jaw dropping. Not only is the motion of the game smoother, at 150hz CRT you will see 3 unique frames of the game before a gamer finishes viewing his first frame at 60hz CRT. If you are comparing 150hz CRT to 60hz LCD, then you have to add in the input lag from line "1" as well as the response lag from line "2". once these items are factored in, the individual playing at 150 Hz on a CRT has already viewed 10 - 15 frames before his online opponent, using a 60hz LCD, has seen his first frame. With this in mind, the 60hz LCD gamer sees a moving enemy who is no longer in the position in which his monitor displays. The same goes for his cross-hairs, as they too are in a different location than the LCD screen indicates. The CPU knows where the enemy is and where your cross-hairs actually are, but the LCD monitor cannot get that information to the end user quickly. In Game sensitivity can be lowered when using this monitor compared to an LCD. When a gamer moves his mouse, the intent is that the cross hairs respond instantly and move exactly in chorus with the mouse.  There is a reason that pro level gamers will use nothing but CRT's. This model is specifically what they are after because of its unmatched quality and widescreen format that newer games utilize.

4. Screen tearing. Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video where information from two or more different frames is shown in a display device in a single screen draw. V sync can be turned on to eliminate this issue. However, vertical synchronization also introduces visual delay that may be perceived as input lag, which is most noticeable when playing video games. Since this input lag is quite substantial, most gamers opt out of the use of V sync and just deal with the artifacts of screen tearing. One of the many benefits of a high refresh rate CRT is that tearing becomes difficult to notice as the refresh rate climbs. A 60hz LCD is going to have obvious tearing. While running at 150hz, effectively screen tearing is no longer visible. If an individual wanted to enable V sync on a CRT at 150hz, the input lag created would be far less than the lag experienced on a 60hz LCD, due to almost a tripling in visible frames with the CRT.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:00:46 »
This debate is irrelevant since 120hz lcd's and 1000hz wireless mouses are available.
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:11:32 »
Your debate is irrelevant because i'll take MDMA and my internet connection has half the latency of yours.  ;)

Offline dewaere

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:22:27 »
I'd be amused to see how low is your latency ;]
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Konrad

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:26:29 »
Some gamers do indeed prefer wireless mice.

Many don't, mostly for the following reasons:

1) Contrary to what the manufacturers might claim, they all tend to cluster their radio signals into the same (very few) frequency bandwidths.  Modern Bluetooth protocols and signal multiplexing technologies are fairly robust but, still, radio signals are prone to forms of interference (and interfering with each other) which cause data errors.  This can actually be a real issue when operating your wireless mouse in the same room as a hundred others, causing poor responsiveness and even "stepping on" each others' mouse inputs ... such occurences are reported often enough, although they are probably exaggerated.

2) Wireless devices require onboard power and batteries die all the time.  It's pretty easy to estimate battery life with reasonable accuracy and for most devices it's pretty easy to simply swap fresh batteries in during intermissions.  Still, it's another little risk/complication many gamers would prefer to avoid.

3) Wireless devices don't have a wire.  No wire means no awesome leet sheathing and braiding, duh.  Bling, swag, and kickass style is just part of the game, no matter how ridiculous it might be ... even nerds gotta live it up a little.

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:27:41 »
To tell you the truth, AT&T u-verse is balls.  Sure it is fiber to the node (FTTN) but they run the last 4,000 ft (I think that's the limitation) via twisted pair aka "DSL." That's right, AT&T brought back a dying breed, phone lines.  Wouldn't be surprised if it were higher then 90ms.

Docsis 3.0 cable and Fios Fiber to the Home (FTTH) is much much better, in my opinion because twisted pair requires a compression algorithm that uses up precious TIME.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:43:24 »
Quote from: Konrad;404150
Some gamers do indeed prefer wireless mice.

Many don't, mostly for the following reasons:

1) Contrary to what the manufacturers might claim, they all tend to cluster their radio signals into the same (very few) frequency bandwidths.  Modern Bluetooth protocols and signal multiplexing technologies are fairly robust but, still, radio signals are prone to forms of interference (and interfering with each other) which cause data errors.  This can actually be a real issue when operating your wireless mouse in the same room as a hundred others, causing poor responsiveness and even "stepping on" each others' mouse inputs ... such occurences are reported often enough, although they are probably exaggerated.

Well, maybe this could be a problem on large lanparties.

2) Wireless devices require onboard power and batteries die all the time. It's pretty easy to estimate battery life with reasonable accuracy and for most devices it's pretty easy to simply swap fresh batteries in during intermissions. Still, it's another little risk/complication many gamers would prefer to avoid.

I can understand this in power hog mice like the rat9, but a decent mouse like my M705 last three years with a couple of AA  batteries (if used heavily), my MX revolution BT last 15 days on a single charge, my v470 last six months or so, the orochi and the g700 have the aux usb cable...

In short we are in 2011...

even nerds gotta live it up a little

Ok, but in the meantime I prefer the technology that makes my life better. :lol:

Offline Konrad

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:51:44 »
I don't see how those comments are at all relevant here, bluecar.

Unless you're perhaps suggesting some sort of fiber connect to mouse input device? I use a Gigabyte Ghost GM8000-X gaming mouse (and a wacom tablet) with pretty good specs and, to be honest, it seems these already exceed the input thresholds ... the bottleneck is in the PC I/O controller, not in the input devices, not in the dataline connecting them. Wireless is generally acceptable for normal mouse/keyboard use, but fiber is simply expensive overkill.

[Edit]

On a side note, fiber lines tend to be very inflexible.  Consumer fiber appliances also lose decibels at every connection point.  I'm sure flexible fiber could be engineered for use in input devices, but at inflated costs and performance likely comparable to existing electrical approaches.  I don't see the point, beyond bragging rights.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:56:42 by Konrad »

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 18:56:23 »
Quote from: The Solutor;404155
Ok, but in the meantime I prefer the technology that makes my life better.
Wireless mice have their place for sure, especially for laptops.  I've thought about internalizing the receiver dongle inside my laptop for usb port insurance and shear bliss, but doubt i'll ever get around to it.

Quote from: Konrad;404157
Unless you're perhaps suggesting some sort of fiber connect to mouse input device?

I'm talking about the U-verse mouse by AT&T, it's pretty quick, you haven't heard of it? ;)

Offline nrd

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 05:49:03 »
Quote from: The Solutor;404155
I can understand this in power hog mice like the rat9, but a decent mouse like my M705 last three years with a couple of AA  batteries (if used heavily), my MX revolution BT last 15 days on a single charge, my v470 last six months or so, the orochi and the g700 have the aux usb cable...
Considering that even the advertisements (that so many reviewers happily take their information from as if it was some kind of scientifically researched fact) for the M705 state that it can last up to 3 years depending on how much and often you use it (oddly enough the German version of the text is much more specific on that matter than the English one)... I doubt that even just a semi-serious gamer would get 3 years of use out of one pair of batteries, probably not even one. Then there's the question if a mouse like the M705 is a perfect gaming mouse in general (or at least anywhere close to being a perfect gaming mouse), which I doubt.

I've used several wireless mice throughout the last years and while they're certainly not the horrible devices of torture some people try to make them be, all of them had their problems and with every single one there were inaccuracies in the tracking, skipped pixels or some sort of "lag" - not constantly of course, in fact most of the mice worked just as fine as wired ones 99,9% of the time, even in very fast-paced games, but now matter how rarely it happens, every moment that a gamer doesn't have full control over his mouse can be crucial in a game (and of course it always happens at the most inopportune moment, just like batteries seem to last for a lifetime only to run out right that minute when you really need their power and don't have any replacement batteries handy, but that goes without saying), so wired mice are still favored by gamers.
It's no surprise and honestly, with most gaming setups that one wire more or less makes no difference at all and a gamer isn't exactly prone to carrying his mouse around in the house with him either; there's no reason not to have a wire, so even if you'd only have to replace/recharge batteries once in three years... that's still once more than you have to do it with a wired one.

Wireless mice are nice and fine for office or general purpose use, but for gaming they only offer disadvantages over wired mice (as small as those may be).

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 06:44:56 »
Considering that even the advertisements (that so many reviewers happily take their information from as if it was some kind of scientifically researched fact) for the M705 state that it can last up to 3 years depending on how much and often you use it

I'm used to open my mouth about things I tried personally and not on stupid advertising. My m705 is with me since the q4 of 2009 and I'm using it with a single battery as my main driver, and still has one of the two included batteries, mouseware says I have still 412 days of charge.

So its way outperforming what is written on the logitec website.

I doubt that even just a semi-serious gamer would get 3 years of use out of one pair of batteries, probably not even one.

Unless you kill some aliens trowing the mouse on your screen a mouse will consume the some amount of energy photoshopping a photo or using a plasma gun.

Then there's the question if a mouse like the M705 is a perfect gaming mouse in general (or at least anywhere close to being a perfect gaming mouse), which I doubt.

It's the best mouse I've ever touched and is perfect for gaming too unless you became used with some stupidly high dpi settings is more than enough.

I've used several wireless mice throughout the last years and while they're certainly not the horrible devices of torture some people try to make them be, all of them had their problems and with every single one there were inaccuracies in the tracking, skipped pixels or some sort of "lag" - not constantly of course, in fact most of the mice worked just as fine as wired ones 99,9% of the time, even in very fast-paced games, but now matter how rarely it happens, every moment that a gamer doesn't have full control over his mouse can be crucial in a game (and of course it always happens at the most inopportune moment, just like batteries seem to last for a lifetime only to run out right that minute when you really need their power and don't have any replacement batteries handy, but that goes without saying), so wired mice are still favored by gamers.

Almost every  logitech mouse sold after the MX700 is more or less not distinguishable by a wired mouse with the same sensor, most of the objection are based on urban legends and placebo effect. Surely there are still horrible wireless mouse out there, but they aren't logitech, nor microsoft.

The only true advantage of the so called gaming mice is for the maker that can sold cheap wired mouse at premium prices.

Offline nrd

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:00:43 »
Quote from: The Solutor;404327
Unless you kill some aliens trowing the mouse on your screen a mouse will consume the some amount of energy photoshopping a photo or using a plasma gun.
In theory, yes. In reality, not at all. Mainly because the mouse gets much more rest during office use (even if you believe you move the mouse around all the time - you don't) compared to gaming where it's literally being dragged around every single second the game lasts. Logitech knows that very well and even Razer, who love boasting about everything from illuminated WASD keys to gold-plated usb connectors, learned to clearly differentiate "normal" from gaming use when it comes to battery lifetime (and for a good reason). No point in arguing about that, really.

It's the best mouse I've ever touched and is perfect for gaming too
Unless you need easily reachable thumb buttons, additional buttons in general or on-the-fly switching of DPI settings (or adjustable weight I guess, but I've never made use of that myself)... and probably depending a lot on the game you play and your playing style. Yeah, then it might be perfect.

Almost every logitech mouse sold after the MX700 is more or less not distinguishable by a wired mouse with the same sensor
Well, like I said. 99.9% just are no 100% and especially gamers don't like to miss out on that 0.1%.
They dislike wireless mice for a reason. Not because they're horrible devices in general, but because even the best ones are not as good as wired ones when it comes to heavy-duty gaming - they're very close, but nothing more (yet, maybe... who knows).

But I can already see where this kind of discussion is going (or not going), so... I won't post about it anymore in this thread (maybe I'll find one that's better suited for that purpose).

Back on topic: Apart from replacing the cable (like suggested, ebay should offer something useful) there's not much more you can do if simply bending it in the oppositre direction doesn't work. You could try taping it to the table so that it leaves less cable to work with (and therefore less cable that can get tangled), but... Yea, I'd just replace it with a normal cable, that will save you a lot of trouble :tongue1:

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:22:42 »
They dislike wireless mice for a reason.

The truth is that when the marked is saturated, the best way to make money is to inflate the pointless details.

The world is plenty of people who buy a vga that runs a game at 240 fps instead of one that runs it at 120, of hdd with the sata 6 connection when no one is able to distinguish a sata 1 from a sata 2, of monitors with 400Hz refresh and so on.

The improvements are sometimes there but often aren't noticeable, sometimes the HI END placement of a product is just matter of an increased price w/o any related improvement, sometimes  a cheaper product is considered better just because the price, and filcos and topres are the perfect example.

Back on topic the hair dryer technique seem the only reasonable way, if it doesn't work the cable replacement is mandatory.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:27:53 »
Quote from: bluecar5556;404161
I'm talking about the U-verse mouse by AT&T, it's pretty quick, you haven't heard of it? ;)
Actually no, I haven't heard of it.  AT&T doesn't have any real presence in Canada, no aggressive market pushing from them here, and besides I'm quite happy with my pointing devices (since they are basically top spec stuff) therefore I hardly bother ever looking at others.  Not to say our datacomm providers are any better or worse overall, most of them still maximize their profits by stretching their last-mile runs as far as they can, and though some are better than AT&T in various particulars it ultimately boils down to some kind of package deal full of tradeoffs ... competition always means things can be better, faster, or cheaper - pick two.

So anyhow, I don't know a thing about this U-Verse mouse thing.  But if it's any kind of mouse/pointer input device for a computer then it has to ultimately connect to that computer - through the same wired or wireless paradigms used by any other peripheral.  If you feel the U-Verse and fat monolithic corporate strangleholds on telecommunications infrastructure are somehow relevant to crooked mouse cables then please elaborate because I don't see the connection.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:37:36 »
Actually I don't mind wireless mice all that much, I pack one as standard equipment in my laptop bag since I have no patience for the utterly hopeless little touchpad.

Although I wouldn't use a wireless mouse (at least not the ones I'm familiar with) for serious gaming.  My issue is the powersaving wakeup delay, it seems like the moment the mouse stops moving it falls asleep and is momentarily sluggish and stupid.  No doubt these features can be disabled through software or even through hardware hacking ... but my batteries already need to be charged after about 6-8 hours of moderate use, so I very much doubt they'll last through a full weekend LAN event, let alone 3 years.  Even my watch battery or computer mobo battery only lasts 2-3 years before replacement is a good idea.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 08:50:31 »
Quote from: Konrad;404349
Actually I don't mind wireless mice all that much, I pack one as standard equipment in my laptop bag since I have no patience for the utterly hopeless little touchpad.

Although I wouldn't use a wireless mouse (at least not the ones I'm familiar with) for serious gaming.  My issue is the powersaving wakeup delay, it seems like the moment the mouse stops moving it falls asleep and is momentarily sluggish and stupid.  No doubt these features can be disabled through software or even through hardware hacking ... but my batteries already need to be charged after about 6-8 hours of moderate use, so I very much doubt they'll last through a full weekend LAN event, let alone 3 years.  Even my watch battery or computer mobo battery only lasts 2-3 years before replacement is a good idea.

The m705 battery last three years, period.

And doesn't have any wake up lag.

And any mouse with a w/u lag I've tried have it after a long period of inactivity, situation that hardly happen when you're surrounded by a dozen of angry aliens.

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 11:49:11 »
When using a desktop computer in a static environment (mouse never moves from a fixed mouse pad,) I do not see one single advantage point in wireless mice, but that's my opinion.  If there is a decent size flat area on a computer desk for the cable to move about freely, secured with enough slack when the mouse is moved to all extremes on the mouse pad, and the cable does not provide any input to the mouse location when releasing it from the hand then there really is no point.  

The idea is not to "fight" the USB cable and when that happens, something is wrong and looking into mouse cable holders probably wouldn't be a bad idea in a confined desk space.

Like I said, wireless mice have their purpose.  Computing without a static environment such as on a laptop computer.  If I had to carry around my laptop everywhere using a corded mouse, it would be an inconvenience plugging/unplugging and routing the cable out of the way constantly.

Offline Mitchellderp

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 12:15:24 »
Not to derail this derailed thread, but the hair dryer didn't work. Any other solutions?

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 12:28:44 »
To rail this railed thread, I have a solution, replace the USB cable using one without braiding.

EDIT: If you think you can pull it off, run a razor blade down the braided sheathing and peel it off.  After my Logitech G5 got a hernia, I had no option but to do something about it.  Tried using the razor blade trick but the blade ended up in the cable and caused a short.  Replaced the cable and low and behold, have no more complaining.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 19:49:14 »
Agreed, just remove the braiding.  Either cut it off or disassemble your mouse to temporarily unplug the cable from the PCB.  In fact, if you happen to have another USB device (preferably another mouse, ideally from the same manufacturer) you can very possibly swap/cannibalize the USB cable as a single piece ... you might get lucky and find the exact same 4-wire USB header on the PCB, just unplug and plug, can't get much easier than that (assuming you're able to properly reassemble the mouse of course).  The hair-dryer approach might work on another cable since it'll probably be manufacturerd from some other kind of plastic, alternately, try again on your existing cable using higher heat (heat gun) and hope for the best.  You could try shaving the cable thinner (at least at the desired flex-point) by pulling it through a draw-wire sort of contraption.  You could even - very carefully - entirely cut away a few centimeters of the rigid sheathing and replace it with a chunk of flexible heat-shrink.