Author Topic: FYI: Chair mounting for input devices  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
FYI: Chair mounting for input devices
« on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 13:18:01 »
I have a chair mount kit for my Datahand, (which is not sold now) and I'll replicate an exact copy for my Split Kinesis. Soon I will be posting pictures of the chair kit in the Datahand thread I've started (as a placeholder).

If there is anyone that may be interested in getting/making an armrest chairmount, info is very scarce, I've been looking for years, so this will be what you need to see/read. I've found the crucial u-joints that make the system work as well as it does. The whole thing should cost between $60-$80 and is rock-solid quality. I'm thinking the peeps that may be most interested will be with gaming (which I don't do).
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
Re: FYI: Chair mounting for input devices
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 01:52:06 »
I am not sure why nobody has replied here or why this is not important? Since,

1. Most guys in the forum work/surf on their home computers at least an hour.
2. All workplaces (even the ones touted as employee friendly) are loaded with stress and almost none offer any sort of really useful ergo work areas, like a keyboard mat, split keyboards, tented keyboard mount, motorized standing desks etc. Most, if at all offer one/two variety of ergo chairs decided by some honcho who never works on a desk for more than 3-4 hours. So what I am trying to say is all these factors create a really stressed up positions and when you reach home you have all sort of prolonged pain all around major muscle endings.
3. Most of the guys in the forum/some of the visitors have started/will start getting some form of RSI now or in future. Even though the RSI may have happened from work/external injuries, they would still come home and work with a recently tired/injured arm. Since RSI may get reduced when you change the 'repetitive' pattern of a fixed set of muscles, a chair mount will work on a separate set of muscle groups. I am not talking about the exact same tendons/muscles, rather about the bulk of connecting helper tissues, recently discovered/named as fascia tissues (muscles?). With a chair mount a different/overlapping set of fascia tissues will work. This might help some healing? Please read more about fascia stuff, very interesting theories.

You wake up in the morning after a good nights sleep. Squeeze your skin and then your muscles. it hurts on same spots almost every day? You have me. Try to open a jar fresh in the morning. Can open in left/right hand? The lid slips in your hand. You got me. Have been facing these lot of times. Might be something to do with massive amount of overworked muscles all around the body. Exercise/Physical Therapy may help a little here.

Who am I to tell these? Yes, I am a programmer working 10-12 hours outside as a contractor (tons of unnecessary stress and not a boat load of money!); includes 2 hours bay area bumper-to-bumper commute. I also work another 3-4 hours on average at home keeping up/trying new projects, working on new ideas etc.

I have accumulated RSI and what not other (mis)alignment issues in all these time and been on and off with western medication as well as physical therapy. Have not helped much. On off these the problems come back in a few weeks.

I made an experimental gig to mount two keyboards on my chair as well as an expert mouse at home and found much relief and reduced pain. Rather i found my pain in my right arm has much reduced and left has started to be slightly sore hinting that the muscles are working. I also tried chinese herbal medicine to increase blood flow (+whatever secret ingredients the practitioner put). This has helped me tremendously.

But the biggest benefit is the mountings.

Now I can write a lot about these things but guess nobody wants to know the gory stuff about human body, work habits, weird chinese medication, ergonomics and conspiracy theory...

I need a quality chair mount.

Anybody else interested, please pile on.

We need some help here...
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline blueSmoke

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 01:58:18 »
Doh! Thought this would be somewhat length, but not so much.

tl;dr: 1. I need a chair mount. 2. RSI is a plethora of problems, no concrete solution, must act urgently.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:14:44 »
I've had life issues that derailed my plans to complete the Split Kinesis Project, and replicating the Datahand chair mount. 2012 was a brutal year. I hope to do it this summer.

Last summer I was in touch with Fossala on DT, I'm scheduled to get the Split Kinesis and chairmount to him this year, so the intent is still active.

I had a lot of detailed pics for the chair mount, but now I can only find a few (most were on my laptop which was stolen by the bookkeeper/stalker I had arrested). Fortunately not a lot of pics are needed to buy/assemble the chair mount. I'll get the info this weekend and post. I believe the cost I calculated was $100, could be a few dollars cheaper, but not sure.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline merrickx

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 04:05:58 »
Well, take your time, get your things gathered, and come back to it. I've got a lot of interest in your past mentions.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 09:58:54 »
ps, come join us for the retro dsa gb sorting party at ron's in early may!! you don't have to sort, just show up! (and maybe help tape a few shipping labels :) )

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline blueSmoke

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 00:47:42 »
Well, take your time, get your things gathered, and come back to it. I've got a lot of interest in your past mentions.

What do you mean? Trolling or it is for IN?

Offline blueSmoke

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 00:50:20 »
ps, come join us for the retro dsa gb sorting party at ron's in early may!! you don't have to sort, just show up! (and maybe help tape a few shipping labels :) )

Hey Kawa,
Who is Ron? Party? Does sorting go hand in hand with booze? Guess not, since nobody mentioned that they got fewer/more keycaps. I am game if it is nearby in SF bay area .