Author Topic: Help me decide between blues or reds for my KBC Poker  (Read 1567 times)

Offline NumberJ

Help me decide between blues or reds for my KBC Poker
« on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 16:28:41 »
I'm just really indecisive and would never be able to choose between the two myself, so instead I'll just ask GH.
I know they feel completely different, but I've typed quite a bit on both switches and like them equally, so it doesn't really matter which one I end up buying.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 17:10:25 »
I have both and enjoy each of them depending on my typing mood. I really got the reds so I can bring my poker to work since I know my coworkers would kill me with the noise the poker Blues make.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline nala

• sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:37:19 »
Blues if you're forever alone and you don't care about loudiness. Red if you have a social life.
Collection: Filco Majestouch-2 TKL ~ Filco Majestouch-2 TKLRazer BlackWidowUltimate

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 19:50:58 »
I personally prefer reds but they're both good switches. Really depends how quiet you want to be.

Also reds are better for FPS gaming.

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 20:12:24 »
I had one with blues, I liked it a lot, but then I traded it for one with reds and I like it even better :-)
Because there's no metal plate, the board resonates sound more so I thought the blue switches were a bit too noisy, especially the space bar (green, heavier switch). Perhaps the blues are better suited for a more solid board, although some people like the softer feeling of blues on PCB mounted keyboards.
At the end of the day it boils to personal preference. Both switches are good!
I intend to use the Poker as a portable keyboard, so reds is a better choice if you're in a conference room with other folks.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline mr626

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 23:25:32 »
Well, I'm very happy with my Poker using blues.

On the subject of noise, I don't think blues are as loud as some people seem to make out. I use blues at work (PLU) and at home (Poker) and neither my wife nor my co-workers mind.

Offline SBI

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 09:41:59 »
I find that apart from the keyboard, the table makes a big difference. I have a pretty solid wood desk, and it absorbs a lot of the noise that my keyboard makes compared to...say I put it on the kitchen table or something, which is made of stone. Uncomparable racket. My girlfriend doesn't mind the clicking, which is pretty humane if it stays at only clicking.

Offline NumberJ

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 19:14:49 »
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably pick up a poker with reds as I don't currently own a linear switch 'board.

I was wondering about one more thing. Are there any significant differences between the first batch of pokers (the ones with the blue PCB and engraved PBT keys) and the newer ones (red PCB and either stock ABS keys or PBTkeys with pink printing)? I'd rather get one from the first batch because I'm planning on getting a set of engraved keycaps anyway.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 20:34:30 »
I thought the blue PCB ones where review samples and most of the production boards that came out were the red PCB's

I did notice that the newer ones might come wtih different ABS keycaps where the lettering and front legends are smaller.

Both pokers I have are older style ABS caps and just saw the alternate ones here on GH.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline mr626

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 01:03:22 »
Yeah, as far as I know other than the pre-production ones they all come with the red PCB.