Author Topic: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid  (Read 7968 times)

Offline AJCarrington

CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid
« on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 15:05:16 »
Was wondering if anyone had ideas/estimates as to when this might be hitting stores in NA?

AJC

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 16:29:45 »
Just save up a little while longer and get a Leopold/Filco/Das.  This looks like another "gaming" keyboard with tons of random useless info.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline Minskleip

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 16:31:55 »
It has keypuller! Mach schnell!
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline AJCarrington

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 17:03:24 »
Quote from: PlayerZero;406123
Just save up a little while longer and get a Leopold/Filco/Das.  This looks like another "gaming" keyboard with tons of random useless info.

Have had a Filco and Deck previously; money isn't an issue.  Specs seem pretty decent and I like its look...curious to check it out.

AJC

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 20:42:26 »
What's so good about it? Sorry if I'm missing something.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline AJCarrington

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 21:16:05 »
For one, I quite like the styling (very subjective of course), but am pleased to see the following:

• choice of switches
  • 6 extra key caps (along w/ puller)
  • laser-marked keycaps - curious as to what this means
  • rubber coated Keyboard surface
  • removable braided USB cable with cable routing - quite like this feature with the Leopold keyboards (I have cats...)
  • no lighting
  • tenkeyless
To your point, there isn't too much "new" that one can't already find in a Filco/Das/Leo, but I'm liking the package the CM has put together...at least enough to look further into it (particularly its pricing).  Another nice element is that it should be widely accessible through CM distributon chain (ie Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.) which gives me more choice/options as to sourcing...assuming that is they release it here in North America.

AJC

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 21:40:18 »
So this is a Leopold with a few extra features right?
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 21:55:45 »
It would be really awesome if lasered keys meant PBT keys in this instance. But I'm pretty sure they won't be.

Not that I should care I won't likely be buying it anyway.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 August 2011, 00:48:38 »
Interesting it says: "Currently only available in APAC"

Wondering when this is coming to the US, or will it not?

Also looks like no mention of red switches:

SGK-4000-GKCL1 (Blue Switch)
 SGK-4000-GKCC1 (Black Switch)
 SGK-4000-GKCM1 (Brown Switch)

But my only question is how much is this going to be? I think they would have to price it competively or less to Leopold / Filco to make some sales.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2011, 03:46:26 »
Actually really interested in this. A "gaming keyboard" that has a choice of switches, rather than just MX Black. It'll be interesting to see which of the keys have alternate caps, too.
I don't really like the space they've got so hopefully there's one for that. It says 6, so we can assume W, A, S, D, Esc. Maybe two variants of Esc? Hell if I know.
Similarly, its good to see a tasteful keyboard trying something other than the standard Filco/Ducky (all very similar) look. Not saying Filcos look bad (I love mine, it looks great), its just nice to see something a bit different.
Might get one of these with MX Blues if they're cheap. It'll have to be pretty cheap for me to consider getting a tenkeyless board. I love me my numpads.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2011, 03:50:05 by Henry Allen Venture »
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline battlesheep

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 06:10:06 »
Quote from: PlayerZero;406123

i work for CM, what do you mean with random useless info? :D

Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;406220
It would be really awesome if lasered keys meant PBT keys in this instance. But I'm pretty sure they won't be.
Not that I should care I won't likely be buying it anyway.

not yet, but i already passed on the feedback to the PM and engineers and they are checking :)
For future LED less keyboards we will probably use PBT :)

Quote from: jpm804;406281
Interesting it says: "Currently only available in APAC"
Wondering when this is coming to the US, or will it not?

Also looks like no mention of red switches:

SGK-4000-GKCL1 (Blue Switch)
 SGK-4000-GKCC1 (Black Switch)
 SGK-4000-GKCM1 (Brown Switch)

But my only question is how much is this going to be? I think they would have to price it competively or less to Leopold / Filco to make some sales.

sure there are red switches :D
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:22514

not sure but i think the US they will only sell brown switches or blue...
but you can order from an international etailer and get any switch you want (like PCHOME)

Quote from: Henry Allen Venture;406307
Actually really interested in this. A "gaming keyboard" that has a choice of switches, rather than just MX Black. It'll be interesting to see which of the keys have alternate caps, too.
what do you mean?
I don't really like the space they've got so hopefully there's one for that. It says 6, so we can assume W, A, S, D, Esc. Maybe two variants of Esc? Hell if I know.
red WASD with arrows on it, plus two COOLER MASTER keys in case you dont like the CM Storm logo on the FN/Windows keys
Similarly, its good to see a tasteful keyboard trying something other than the standard Filco/Ducky (all very similar) look. Not saying Filcos look bad (I love mine, it looks great), its just nice to see something a bit different.
finally somebody appreciating the metallic rubber coating and red metal plate for the red switch version! :D
a lot of people seem to want a black brick of a keyboard without any design whatsoever :D
Might get one of these with MX Blues if they're cheap. It'll have to be pretty cheap for me to consider getting a tenkeyless board. I love me my numpads.

yeah almost everybody does... still dont get why... nobody is able to give me a decent reply either besides "i sometimes use it" :P
its not like you cant enter numbers using the 1-0 keys on the main key matrix... and imo its actually more convenient since thats where your hands rest on the keyboard when your working anyways...
and with cherry keys you can calculate almost 1 us$ per key, so not having a numpad means paying 15$ less...
everybody complains mechanical keyboards are expensive, but then with tenkeyless mech keyboards people complain there is no numpad, GAH! :D

Offline slueth

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 18:46:55 »
Quote from: battlesheep;434357
yeah almost everybody does... still dont get why... nobody is able to give me a decent reply either besides "i sometimes use it" :P
its not like you cant enter numbers using the 1-0 keys on the main key matrix... and imo its actually more convenient since thats where your hands rest on the keyboard when your working anyways...
and with cherry keys you can calculate almost 1 us$ per key, so not having a numpad means paying 15$ less...
everybody complains mechanical keyboards are expensive, but then with tenkeyless mech keyboards people complain there is no numpad, GAH! :D

I prefer it without the numpad, more ergo and more space.  It also looks more sleek(stylish?) without the numpad.
Now when are these coming the US?

Offline enoy21

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 19:49:14 »
If you order from PCHOME using google translate it has $10 shipping and is reported by users here at GH to be as fast as 2 days in some cases.   $110 shipped for a keyboard with comparable quality to a Filco MJ1  (single layer PCB)  

The only reason I don't have one is I was nervous about the rubber coating and the lack of reviews for it so I went with the Filco in browns.    It's still on my radar for a red switch in the future.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 19:57:31 »
Yes.. just follow the guide here and I didnt even have to use google translate. Ordered Friday got to me Weds.. I'm in Cali also. Came out to ~$111 shipped.

Pretty good board and comparable to filco reds with a much better price. Also I like the rubber coating, the logos on the other hand are another problem, but for the price I can over look it.

If you want reds, another good option is the Leopold reds in Tenkeyless for a bit more.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 10:12:52 »
The CM rep over at OCN said that they are now going to be selling the red switch version on the CM website in North America.  I guess they saw the demand for it with everyone ordering from PCHome.  He didn't post ETA for the red switch availability in North America though.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline enoy21

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 10:23:45 »
I'll be interested to see what the prices are here.  If they jack the prices for being an import then it will greatly detract from the value.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline slueth

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 10:46:50 »
I didn't see the point of waiting and got it off pchome, at most you would save like 10 dollars if you buy it on amazon for red switches.

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 10:51:26 »
Quote from: enoy21;438867
I'll be interested to see what the prices are here.  If they jack the prices for being an import then it will greatly detract from the value.

Well I'm hoping that the Quickfire Red's will stay roughly the same price as their Blue and Black siblings here in Aus.  At the moment both Blue's and Black's are going for AU$99 plus delivery... If so I'm going to snap one up as my first Red 'board.
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Telstar

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 11:23:11 »
Quote from: battlesheep;434357
not yet, but i already passed on the feedback to the PM and engineers and they are checking :)For future LED less keyboards we will probably use PBT :)

Any ETA for ISO layout? Will browns come to Europe?

I greatly appreciate the tenkeyless layout: this is the FIRST "gaming" keyboard that uses no numpad, which greatly improves ergonomics when gaming with keyboard AND mouse.

Keep up the great work CM!

PS: get rid of the text on the spacebar.

Offline slueth

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 11:26:04 »
lol get rid of the logos while they are at it, I could agree with one on the top left but any more detracts it from its sleek design.

Offline wongster

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 12:52:42 »
I actually don't mind the "CM Storm" part of the logo. I think it looks good in fact. It's the silly red flames that I could do without.
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 12:54:15 »
more logos please
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline sinis

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 12:57:25 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29850[/ATTACH]

as you wish!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 October 2011, 13:05:17 by sinis »

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 17:52:12 »
Quote from: Telstar;438917
this is the FIRST "gaming" keyboard that uses no numpad, which greatly improves ergonomics when gaming with keyboard AND mouse.

Probably not the first to do that... Filco might have beaten them by a few weeks....  Have a look and don't laugh too hard at their direct Jap/Eng translation...  Bought one a few weeks back, it's available in Aus but not sure where you'd get one in EU...

http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=810

Great Keyboard.  Camo may not for everyone but it's quite tastefully done without being too gawdy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 October 2011, 17:57:26 by Kamikaze K »
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Telstar

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 18:46:17 »
Ah yes the Camo. Not sure who came first, i thought the CM storm.
I hope more will follow the example.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 20:49:27 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;438861
The CM rep over at OCN said that they are now going to be selling the red switch version on the CM website in North America.  I guess they saw the demand for it with everyone ordering from PCHome.  He didn't post ETA for the red switch availability in North America though.

Rats, I got one from PChome just now. (It arrived today, when I was out, so I'll have to go to the postoffice tomorrow to pick it up)

The reason I say "rats" is because I could've gotten it without the chinese characters on the keycaps if I'd waited.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 20:56:24 »
So what... get nicer keys to replace them anyway  :)   if you have yet to experience PBT... TRY IT  ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline HWI

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 21:15:56 »
Quote from: wongster;438986
I actually don't mind the "CM Storm" part of the logo. I think it looks good in fact. It's the silly red flames that I could do without.
Agreed.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race