Author Topic: Soda + Keyswitch Problem  (Read 1117 times)

Offline ProjectNinety

Soda + Keyswitch Problem
« on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 10:56:14 »
I am new to the mechanical keyboard community, and just received my Razer BlackWidow (What I could afford within my price constraints!). Two weeks after using it (I love the blue switches), I got some soda on the keyboard, specifically only the space key. I quickly unpluged the keyboard and dried it the best I could. The problem is the switch is sticky now (last time I will ever drink sugary substances in front of my computer). I was given a suggestion in using isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry before using it. While there was isoprophyl in the switch it had the tactile click like it was new. After letting it dry for 12 hours or so, the old sticky, no clicking, key would come back. Would there be anyway I could solve this problem? Maybe taking the switch apart and cleaning it?

Thanks ahead of time!

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Soda + Keyswitch Problem
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:38:25 »
If, as implied, you desoldered the switch, you could take it apart, soak the parts in alcohol or soapy water, and maybe scrub them a bit with a sponge or your fingers, maybe that'll get the residue off. However, after this, the lube will also wash off, and you'll need to put some silicon or lithium grease in the switch to make it smooth again. I'm no expert on greasing, maybe somebody else can give a better suggestion.

Offline sordna

Soda + Keyswitch Problem
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 14:25:58 »
A user reported that using WD40 took care of some gummed-up switches, you might as well try it before resorting to desoldering and removing the switch to open it up. Spray enough to fill up the switch, push it fast several times to get the stuff everywhere, and after a day spray some canned compressed air to blow the sludge away.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ProjectNinety

Soda + Keyswitch Problem
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 15:04:01 »
Thank you! I will try the soaking with silicon lube before actually removing the switch and cleaning it. I don't think I will need a powerful solvent like that but I will try it out!