Author Topic: Looking For Advice/Opinions: Which Cherry Brown Board To Buy  (Read 1555 times)

Offline akerasi

Looking For Advice/Opinions: Which Cherry Brown Board To Buy
« on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 18:37:31 »
So, the one's I'm looking at are getting an Adesso compact, a Poker, or a Cherry G80 compact. I'm mildly wanting the G80, due to having typed for years on an identical layout (G81 with MYs), but it'll cost by far the most. I've never really tried a tenkeyless with fullsize keys before, but my G84 4100 has taught me that I really can do without a tenkey. The Adesso board I'm looking at is the cheapest and has a nearly identical layout to what I'm used to. I also considered a wasdkeyboards custom, but decided I probably want at least compact, and possibly tenkeyless.

Also, if someone wants to sell me any of these, or something similar (as long as it has Cherry browns, that's what I want to try next), I am in the market and wouldn't mind a discount from full retail as long as it's in good condition. I'm also not in a GREAT hurry; I'm half considering waiting till WASD makes a tenkeyless, as they say it'll be soon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2011, 18:40:13 by akerasi »
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 18:48:21 »
I'm mildly wanting the G80, due to having typed for years on an identical layout (G81 with MYs)
It's settled then: get a G80.

Otherwise, EK's selection of Leopold tenkeyless keyboards will always be approved of on this forum.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 19:48:41 »
you'll like browns, they are MILES better than the g84 switches(which are still good in a pinch).

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 20:07:58 »
For what it's worth, I think that the WASD is a hell of a keyboard especially for the price.  I'd probably have Filco and Leopold on my short list were I serious about wanting a tenkeyless.  I think there's a lot to be said for keeping a standard layout.  Not only does it reduce the adjustment period, but it also makes it easier if you have to use a "normal" keyboard after becoming accustomed to your "good" board.  But maybe that's just me.

Another one you may want to put on your list would be Noppoo, I really like my Choc Pro even though I'm not a big browns fan. (hey, I grew up in Pittsburgh, what do you expect?)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline akerasi

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 23:15:20 »
I haven't really looked into Noppoo seriously... I have considered a Leopold, but if I was getting that, I'd probably just buy the G80 unless I got a deal or changed my mind and wanted a tenkeyless more. I'll have to look into Noppoo and see if I like the layout... but if WASD are actually quality, I might half consider buying one of those instead, just for the ability to make an oddly colored keycap set. I actually made a layout one day, because I was bored...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25296[/ATTACH]

Kind of crazy, but the visual color cues out of the corner of my eye could help me look down a little less and touchtype a little more. I'm a pretty good typist, but end up looking down more often than I'd like. I might also change the font to something fixed width... fixed-width makes a lot of sense on a keyboard.
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline frankfrank

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 00:53:27 »
Quote from: akerasi;407198
I haven't really looked into Noppoo seriously... I have considered a Leopold, but if I was getting that, I'd probably just buy the G80 unless I got a deal or changed my mind and wanted a tenkeyless more. I'll have to look into Noppoo and see if I like the layout... but if WASD are actually quality, I might half consider buying one of those instead, just for the ability to make an oddly colored keycap set. I actually made a layout one day, because I was bored...

(Attachment Link) 25296[/ATTACH]

Kind of crazy, but the visual color cues out of the corner of my eye could help me look down a little less and touchtype a little more. I'm a pretty good typist, but end up looking down more often than I'd like. I might also change the font to something fixed width... fixed-width makes a lot of sense on a keyboard.

G80 is not bad choice.