Author Topic: Close to pulling the trigger on a Deck 82...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline HeroZero

Close to pulling the trigger on a Deck 82...
« on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 17:11:37 »
Hi all,

Been lurking for a bit; read the GeekHack wiki and the Overclock guide plus ran a bunch of searches. Trying to learn as much as possible because it’s time for a new purchase.

A brief history:
I had been using an IBM model M for a while, but it got lost in a move about 3 years ago; I loved the deep action and the reassuring loudness. Since then I'd been using cheap rubber dome keyboards lying around or ones friends weren’t using. A few months back I bought a new MS Natural 4000 (why is the spacebar so unfathomably flabby?), but that's not been a satisfying typing experience, even though I had a momentary hankering for an ergonomic keyboard. Now that experiment’s run dry and I’m ready to step back up to the big leagues.

Parameters:
In a perfect world, I’d just order a fresh Unicomp Customizer 104 and be done with it (or obsess about why I didn’t buy a Das). But there are constraints to my new purchase.
•   I want a keyboard I can take to the office, so size-wise, has to be tenkeyless. So that narrows the field.
•   My work's office has an open floorplan, so the keys can’t be too loud. S'pose that means all clicky keyboards are out. (Yowza, the pain in my chest!)
•   Durable to survive all the trips to and from the office. (It’s a long train ride.)
•   High quality so that I can actually enjoy typing at work.
•   I’d love a HHKB2 Pro or a Realforce for the quality and aesthetics, but those are a bit out of my price range.

Half-way conclusion:
I’ve whittled the field to either a Leopold tenkeyless (MX Browns) or a Deck 82 (MX Blacks). Yes, they’re two different switch types, but a few things draw me to the Deck: shorter by 2 inches (for transport), American-assembled, has a metal plate in it (for durability), and has a defined return policy. However, the Leopold seems pretty classy and I like the option of “Otaku” blank keys. (I never understand why so many people clamor for backlighting; touch-typing is a necessity, not a luxury.) Also, the Leopold’s layout is less cramped.

*deep breath*

Searching for your input:
Does anyone who owns or has used a Deck 82 like its typing feel? And what’s the durability of a Leopold like? Which would you pick if given those choices? And finally, is there a choice I’m overlooking?. Curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
HeroZero

Offline The Solutor

Close to pulling the trigger on a Deck 82...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 17:29:54 »
Does anyone who owns or has used a Deck 82 like its typing feel? And what’s the durability of a Leopold like? Which would you pick if given those choices? And finally, is there a choice I’m overlooking?. Curious to hear your opinions.

It's a nice little board with the best retroillumination color, with the silicone membrane is really too stiff, w/o the silicone membrane is still sitff because the black switch, but all in all is not bad to type on.

The main drawback is the flat surface of the keyboard, the same as Deck legend and Deck 82, I really dont like it too much, but other people feel it fine.

The board is well built, likely better than filcos and leopolds.

Edit: just seen you are speaking about the Deck 82 not the BL82

So no good backlit color, no silicone membrane, and the idiotic fonts must added to the bill.

If you don't need NKRO I highly suggest the BL 82 over the Deck 82.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2011, 17:33:36 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)