Author Topic: Help me choose my GPU/Graphics Card please!  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Zet

Help me choose my GPU/Graphics Card please!
« on: Sun, 04 September 2011, 22:41:13 »
Hey guys, since I don't want to get into another forums, because I love geekhack so much, I came here to ask for advice's.

I started building my new computer a couple of months ago, I got a friend bring me the parts from Miami, because everything is cheaper in the US than here. So my aunt is coming for a cousins wedding on October and I have to place my order for my GPU in time, so she can bring it to me.

Right now I'm with:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.21Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengence DDR5 4GB (x2=8GB) 1600Mhz(stock, but I'm having compatibility problems between this and the MOBO so they are not running at 1600 like I wish)
MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Monitor: Asus VE245H 24"
Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 LE with Red Switches
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Core Edition

I still need to get a new HDD, Audio Set Up(hopefully 5.1), and the GPU.

I have no experience with overclocking, but I don't want to try it, because I don't have the cooling gear to do so. Right now My processor is running with the stock cooling system. Basically I would be aiming to run SC2 on max settings, at full HD 1080p. But I want to be able to run other games with near max settings having decent fps.

My budget for this is 250$ basically, I would go as far as 300$ if the extra 50$ are really worth the upgrade difference between the 250 one and the 300 one.

So far I had a look at Radeon HD 6950 on the brands Sapphire and MSI. Both look really nice, the Sapphire Dirt Edition and the Twin Force III(although its price has gone +100$ since last month... :S)
I'm not closing doors to Nvidia cards, but I just want to make sure they are compatible with my current set up.

Please, any advices or recommendations on GPUs you might have, feel free to post :)

Thanks!

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 September 2011, 22:53:09 »
I just posted a thread about an upgrade on Hardforum.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1634022
General consensus was the 6xxx series.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline AlleyViper

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 00:34:36 »
If you're not comfortable with video bios flashing, look at cards that are already sold with an unlocked bios (untested) in the second switch position. Other than on this matter, any that comes with a reference bios selector will do for your down-clocked hd6970 lottery and isn't known to be locked.

More importantly, it's better to look at 6950s that are reference cards with digital vrms (can be controlled/monitored via software, better regulation and efficiency), than versions that use custom pcbs (usually shorter) equipped with cheaper analogue power regulation, hidden under a fancy custom cooler and pre-overclock to *fake* better value. Usually Asus and MSI vanilla reference models are good on this matter, but xfx, sapphire and powercolor are known to skimp on this for their less expensive custom and vanilla parts at least on the 6850. Check for reviews that actually strip down cards, and test overclocking by changing voltage via software to avoid lesser models (it's usual on hardocp). Complete model number might be needed to pin differences. The best models, are obviously those with custom cooling, digital vrms and that permit unlocking or at least trying to. Cards like the Toxic have all these features, and even a second 1536 bios from factory. I'd avoid any '50 that costs nearly as much as a standard hd6970 tough.

That Sapphire Dirt 3 has software controllable voltage, but if you want to try unlocking (has switch, needs manual flashing on second chip) it doesn't look like a good bet because some reviews and users report them to remain locked. The same is happening with other recent cards, because true reference models are disappearing.

Offline Zet

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 07:48:24 »
Thanks a lot from that advice AlleyViper, that was really something.
Yes, I wouldn't feel so comfortable flashing the BIOS unless I see many others done the same with the exact same card (complete model number). This has come to my attention now, the ASUS Radeon 6950 2GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431&Tpk=asus%20radeon%206950 is it really worth it that couple extra bucks compared to the Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition? It's said the Sapphire has japanese capacitors, but like you mentioned, on amazon someone else says not to bother trying to flash the BIOS because its locked (and funny thing is, that card claim to have double BIOS for easy flashing lol).

Offline AlleyViper

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 17:35:08 »
That Dirt 3 version still has the switch and dual bios, unlike many the cheaper non reference entry cards. It's still useful for let's say, after you find your desirable and solid overclock via software, dump current bios and mod it, then flash it to the second position to keep those settings permanently. Not that msi afterburner is bad (if supported), or even the provided trixx software. If it goes wrong you can always revert and try again. In the reviews someone pointed that some unlocked hd6950 firmware won't work because this cards uses non standard voltage regulation, needing it modded from the original bios so you might need to find a very specific one or do it yourself. If this is true, there *might* be some lower cost options in the VRM area which might or not bother you, because at very least, the option to change voltage is still there.

That asus surely looks like a beast on the cooling side and beefier power section according to this review where higher than average overclocks were obtained, but there's the 3 pci slot height and same unlock uncertainty. IMHO, it will only justify the price difference if you plan to overclock and raise voltage right from the start: to make those extra $ count from the day you buy it! Not after a couple of years, when you'll already be thinking of changing card, and that boost doesn't matter anymore when the new hot game comes and requires a new gen card for that ultra setting.

It's not on stock now, but the Sapphire Toxic costs exactly the same as that Asus, and comes already pre-flashed with a 1536 shader bios with high sucess reports. Other option is the original DIAMOND 6950PE52G that looks like a solid reference board/cooling with an extra 1536 shader bios (probably replaced by a non reference model by now), Powercolor also had the non reference PCS++ with 2 different bios.
If the current unlocking problem on most cards is due to later '50 chips being laser cut, every recently built card with fresh stock will suffer from it. This could explain the lack of stock for the cards I've listed above.

Offline Zet

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 23:24:46 »
I decided that I will go with this one, http://www.buy.com/prod/radeon-hd-6950-pcie-2gb-ddr5-ctlr4port-dvi-i-hdmi-810mhz-directcu-ii/q/loc/101/220021524.html the ASUS 6950 with 2GB Memory, and not try to flash it, but overclock it if needed. Now I'm having a hard time finding a good place to buy it, with nice shipment option. Amazon and newegg are out of stock, is this one a nice store in the US? Thanks for all the advices AlleyViper

Offline AlleyViper

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 19:43:38 »
No prob, the choice was yours anyway :). If you intend to overclock, that surely is a nice card. If you check the last pages on the link I gave you, their overclocked power draw is near 75W more (!), more than the monstrous cooler, it's the touted beefier power section that should become handy as an insurance. Make sure you have good air flow in your case for those >200W, else those with a reference back exhaust cooler might be preferable.
I'm overseas, so I can't help you hardware on US stores. Good luck with your acquisition!

Offline Zet

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 21:35:41 »
Thanks for all the advices AlleyViper, I'll keep in mind about the airflow :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2011, 21:37:50 by Zet »

Offline Thion

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 17:26:33 »
I don't know how the prices over there are, but if it doesn't have to be a AMD, have a look at the MSI/Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Core.

Performance is on par with 6970, and Nvidia cards are usually more stable driver-wise.

EDIT: Ooops, did't notice the date... pls del.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2011, 17:30:59 by Thion »

Offline VPX

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 14:33:01 »
Quote from: Zet;410713
RAM: Corsair Vengence DDR5 4GB (x2=8GB) 1600Mhz(stock, but I'm having compatibility problems between this and the MOBO so they are not running at 1600 like I wish)
Did you mean DDR3? ;)
Also the CPU doesn't even support over 1333 MHz for the RAM when it's not overclocked.
Hack Amethyst 3000 key cap set coming when it\'s done (2012)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:48:06 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130696
Get two of those and after the rebate youll be spending 320$ and its almost the same performance as a 580.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 20:19:14 »
Then you get to pay more for your power bill to feed 2 cards...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 21:08:47 »
The bill difference is almost unnoticeable.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline bavman

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 22:33:13 »
Good choice on the 6950, but you should have stuck with an intel like the 2500k

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 22:46:50 »
Quote from: Lmnr;464941
The bill difference is almost unnoticeable.

Perhaps in Georgia... I live in a state that's been in the top 3 most costly for electricity for the last 15 years and generally pay more than double the national average.  OP lives in Bolivia, no clue how expensive power is there...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 05:43:06 »
go for the new 560 Ti 448 nice card at a nice price.

Offline Zet

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 08:36:48 »
Already ordered the Asus 6950 2gb dcu... But whats the price on the 560 u mention? Is it in stock?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 09:18:02 »
Quote from: Zet;468244
Already ordered the Asus 6950 2gb dcu... But whats the price on the 560 u mention? Is it in stock?
http://tinyurl.com/cccxj7z

Offline Malphas

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 01:46:27 »
Eh, I wouldn't get one of the 448 Ti's so close to the new AMD cards coming out.  It's really just a way for nVidia to ditch their remaining GF110 chips before the introduce the new one sometime next year.  At least the original 560 ti runs cooler on less power, and is better value for money in my opinion.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 11:40:38 »
The mobile stuff at least has already been announced same stuff as before just re leabled. Yes but the 448 is significanly more powerful that a standard 560 ti. If you looking for value to performance the standard 560 is actually your best bet but I dont believe that is the buyers target.