Author Topic: Accuracy/typo rates on Cherry blues vs. reds?  (Read 8659 times)

Offline wabewawa

Accuracy/typo rates on Cherry blues vs. reds?
« on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 10:47:07 »
Hey folks, my first post here, howdy.  Looking for opinions or feedback about accuracy/typo rates for the average user with Cherry reds vs. blues?  I'm totally torn between the 2, never having felt them and going on just general descriptions and comparisons here (such as the blues being mentioned as similar to the old NMB Right Touch, one of my first mechanical keyboards ever, eons ago) and YouTube audio examples and such to try to make up my mind, but this is one factor I haven't seen mentioned much, especially in regard to red vs. blue.

I'm leaning towards blue tenkeyless (probably Leopold from EK), with an O-ring mod for whatever I eventually get.  Red switches actually seem maybe a moot point now anyway, for my price range certainly, but I'm willing to wait a bit and keep a watch out for red TKL, if my hand isn't forced on how soon I definitely need to replace my ailing PerfecTouch 101 (basically a ghetto IBM M15, I'd call it, with wobbly ALPS but really light touch, third one I've had in about 15 years' time, but since not manufactured anymore and virtually impossible to find used and being tired of the "wobbliness," ready to move on now).  

As an RSI sufferer, however, the idea of reds does appeal to me due to their lighter actuation force vs. blues. Though I have a suspicion that that very lightness might make for somewhat more error-prone typing?  

I know this is likely to be a very individualized thing, based on typing style and so on, but anecdotal evidence or actual test results would be quite appreciated, even similar info for other comparably different switches (browns vs. blues? etc.), so I can perhaps extrapolate from that.  (I have attempted the forum Search function for this info without any real success so far.)  

BTW, awesome forum, such a wealth of information.  I'm a production typist (medical transcription) who's often rather amazed at how little regard most of my fellow transcriptionists seem to have for the actual feel of their keyboards, at least compared to my own obsession in this realm (but I got spoiled for mechanical early on in my career with Model M's).  So cool to find a community of others who are just as nitpic.., uh, particular as I am about this same thing.

Offline nrd

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 10:59:14 »
I doubt that this is something that can be tested or generalized in any way. As long as a keyboard functions properly, it's really just a matter of getting used to the switches. What kind of switch it is won't play a big role in how many typos you make. Once you're used to the low actuation force of a Cherry MX red switch, you won't make more typos than you would make with a Cherry MX blue switch that you're used to. I've switched from a rubberdome to Cherry MX browns and the rate of typos didn't change at all. You just have to adapt to the new feeling, that's all (well, of course some switches might suit your personal style more than others, but that's a very indiviual matter).

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 11:08:13 »
I was thinking that some might have tested themselves on their own different keyboards at like typingtest.com, for example.  I personally have definitely experienced different accuracy/error rates amongst different types of keyboards, depending on the tactility, key height and placement, etc., even after getting used to them over time.

Offline nrd

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 11:26:40 »
Quote from: wabewawa;410897
I personally have definitely experienced different accuracy/error rates amongst different types of keyboards, depending on the tactility, key height and placement, etc., even after getting used to them over time.
Certainly, but like I said: that's something very, very individual. Different people prefer different layouts, switch types and key styles and what is ideal for some might be horrible for others and vice versa.

I understand where you're coming from, I just doubt that any useful consensus can be drawn from that kind of personal preferences.

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 11:55:20 »
I tried both reds and blues on the same keyboard (KBC Poker). On the blues my pinkies sometimes did not push keys hard enough while typing fast. On the reds, I sometimes accidentally pushed an extra character. So I got different kinds of errors, but my error rates were about the same! The reds are definitely easier on the hands if you have RSI, I could tell the difference even between reds and browns for that matter... reds are the gentlest of all Cherry switches on RSI.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 12:32:31 »
Thanks, sordna.  Interesting.  That was the kind of info I was hoping for.  I see you're a split KB user too (your Kinesis), like myself.  I tried the Advantage once when vocational rehab brought one by for me to check out, but it was difficult for me to get used to the concave wells due to my hand and finger size/length or something.  

I'm actually planning on working on 2 keyboards simultaneously when I replace my current keyboard, since I'm so used to having a 14-16" total split at this point with my PerfecTouch.  I've tried the scheme out with cheap thrift store Compaqs, and it works, both keyboards sync okay, even with one in PS/2 and the other a USB adapter, but it would be so much more doable with at least 1 tenkeyless/TKL for the left side, since I did have to overlap them a bit in the middle to get the proper width placement.  Kind of like this setup that someone I knew had, but with TKL I would be able to have them lie flat and use a mouse bridge over one for my mouse (mouse sits in the middle of my PerfecTouch halves now).

That was something else I wanted to ask about, if anybody has used tandem keyboards for the split effect?  I wish the Kinesis Freestyle Solo came with mechanical keyswitches like your Advantage, sordna; that would be an ideal replacement for what I've got now if it did.*  Anyway, 2 Cherry TKLs to use at once is my ultimate plan now.  So, any good sources for red tenkeyless, since Elitekeyboards only has the blue? (and brown & black)

*(addendum: Actually, just found out it wouldn't be ideal for me, even with mechanical keyswitches, because of the directional and other key placements.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:01:31 by wabewawa »

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:02:53 »
I did not mod my Advantage. I convinced Kinesis to make a model with red switches, it probably helped I bought 2 of them. And I have used them in tandem, in a vertical arrangement (so the hands are in the handshake position while typing). It was VERY comfortable, but the keyboards were blocking my view, haha.
For what you're trying to do, perhaps a couple of KBC Poker or Noppoo Choc mini might work better than tenkeyless keyboards. Both are readily available "buy it now" on ebay, with any kind of switch you want.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:10:18 »
Sorry about that.  I just edited to correct that error about modding while you were replying, after I went off and double-checked about how you supposedly modded it, heh.  I believe I confused yours with the Microsoft Natural that somebody modded with Cherries.

I have checked out the KBC Poker and the Noppoo, but I'm particular about the placement of the arrow keys and insert/delete/etc. (can't even stand a 3 x 3 vertical layout for the insert/delete/etc.), so those or other mini/TKL types with reconfigured layouts of those keys won't work for me.

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:12:35 »
By the way, for tenkeyless, look at the PLU ML-87 (sometimes listed as PLU87), also easily available on ebay for under $100 with red switches, for example qtan5370 (a member here and great seller) sells it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLU-87-tenkeyless-Mechanical-keyboard-Cherry-MX-RED-/300588857157

He also sells the Rapoo v7, a cheap tenkeyless with linear switches (cherry copies) that are just slightly heavier than reds. The main thing going about the Rapoo is that it's programmable, you can remap the keys with software! Read about it here.

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:18:20 »
Wow, sordna, great! Thanks!  Definitely some possibility there with those.  Anybody had any experience with the PLU here?  (Search function is being recalcitrant again.)

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:24:23 »
People seem to like their PLU's. Anyway, use google to search geekhack, it works much better. Use something like this:

plu ml-87 review site:geekhack.org

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 13:33:02 »
Quote from: sordna;410972
Anyway, use google to search geekhack, it works much better.

Great idea, thanks.  And thanks again, for all your info, sordna.  So glad I found this place.