Author Topic: Cherry Brown vs Red dilemma  (Read 2338 times)

Offline LostArk

Cherry Brown vs Red dilemma
« on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:05:36 »
Greetings Geekhackers. I've narrowed down my favorite switch (for gaming) to red or brown, but need some advice. First, a list of all the keyboards I've owned (in order):

1. Razer Blackwidow (sold) - I liked the feel of the blues for typing, but for gaming I felt like they weren't as accurate when double tapping / spamming etc.

2. Xarmor U9BL-S - I love the tactile feedback of the browns; I don't get the impression the bump interferes with my keystrokes, unlike the blues. They are so light I can spam 100apm for 6 hours no problem

3. Steelseries 6gv2 (sold) - I bought this just to try blacks. Impossibly heavy for me to type or game on.

4. Ducky DK1008R - I bought this to try cherry reds. I thought that reds and browns had similar actuation force, so I figured I'd be able to decide once and for all if I prefer linear or tactile for gaming. However, to my hand the reds feel considerably heavier than the browns! After a long gaming session my keyboard hand / arm was sore!

And so I ask:

Could the browns on my Xarmor be unusually light? Should I try a higher quality board with brown switches (i.e. Filco)? What about the reds? Why are they supposedly lighter but feel heavier to me? If the Xarmor's actuation force is representative of all brown switches, I'll know brown is for me. Thinking about ordering a Filco brown just so I can put my mind to rest.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:18:13 »
Sounds like a bottoming out issue. Is that happening when you use reds?

Offline LostArk

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:32:06 »
Quote from: hcry4;416787
Sounds like a bottoming out issue. Is that happening when you use reds?

Yes, I bottom out with the reds. Since there's no tactile feedback, I feel like I need to bottom out to be sure I've pressed a key. I bottom out with browns too, but the tactile bump lets me know I can move onto the next key. Sort of like Wedge shooting the Death Star's main reactor. "Copy Gold Leader. I'm already on my way out"

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:40:00 »
So my thought is that you may be pressing harder when you use reds compared to when you use browns. This might be causing the soreness you mentioned. With the tactile feedback, you probably aren't bottoming out all the way when you use browns.

Offline LostArk

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:45:58 »
You're probably right now that I think about it. I guess I just need tactile feedback! Browns it is!

:D

I just ordered a Filco Ninja Tenkeyless. Ducky is going back.

Gonna relegate the Xarmor to ***** duty, i.e. when I want to eat cheetos and play at the same time. Sweet jesus have mercy.

Thanks for the insight hcry4.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:51:34 »
You're welcome. Enjoy your stay at geekhack and hold on to your wallet!

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:54:25 »
Quote from: LostArk;416790
Yes, I bottom out with the reds. Since there's no tactile feedback, I feel like I need to bottom out to be sure I've pressed a key. I bottom out with browns too, but the tactile bump lets me know I can move onto the next key. Sort of like Wedge shooting the Death Star's main reactor. "Copy Gold Leader. I'm already on my way out"

Hi! I have experience only with the blue switches on my filco board. I love typing on it but i have come to realize that it is very difficult for me to not bottom out, maybe because ive been using RD keyboards for too many years. Even with blue switches which are rather tactile and clicky I found it difficult to not bottom out.

Recently however I kind of started to adjust... when I just "tickle" my keyboard with my fingertips I manage to achieve not bottoming out. And it feels nice - which is amazing cause I thought it was almost impossible to not bottom out unless i focus on it.

So yeah.... i have redefined for myself the way I interact with the keys. I dont think of "pressing" anymore, I just think of "tickling" when it comes to typing and it works - I dont bottom out anymore! (=

I dont know if thats helpful but i thought i could share with you about my relationship between me and my keys. (=