Author Topic: Need advice on new keycaps for Filco R TKL  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Avazee

Need advice on new keycaps for Filco R TKL
« on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 21:37:09 »
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to keycaps, so I'd appreciate any help you all can give me.  I recently purchased a Filco MJ2 Linear R TKL keyboard - I know the keycaps are pad printed so I was looking for something higher in quality.

I know there are those Group Buy keycap threads, but I have no idea if those keycaps fit the Filco.  So my questions are:

1) Do all 'Cherry' keycaps fit the keyboard?
2) If not, what do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 21:42:01 »
If you want something low key but durable and long lasting, consider a Cherry keyboard donor with doubleshot keys. I'm not one to remember the cherry model names but someone will fill you in. Cherry keys go well with Filco keyboards. There was a group buy thread of someone selling the keys from cherry boards.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 05:53:14 »
Imsto on the group buy threads usually has a lot of options for keycaps. I bought the PBT caps with gray printing on white keycaps and I love the contrast with the black case and also love the feel of the keycaps. No shining as well.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:44:55 »
Why?  For the unique look, the different feel, and the deeper sound double shots give you.  

You can get new, unused, or barely used double shot keycaps from old Cherry keyboards.  They are double shots and ABS.  You can get them shiny, but you can't wear through the letters.  Filco's caps aren't too bad either, but you can wear down the printing, and they just don't look as unique. Also, Cherry double shots are much thicker.  Thicker than Filco's keycaps and Signature Plastic's double shots.  They give you a more solid feel and deeper sound as you type.

See here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21911-Dressing-Up-Keyboards-with-Keycaps

Offline N8N

Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)