Author Topic: Am I only one who is confused by the Deck 82 Keyboard...  (Read 1755 times)

Offline mlangner001

Am I only one who is confused by the Deck 82 Keyboard...
« on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 00:26:27 »
I am trying to make sense of it but it just doesn't make sense... at least not for me as a Mac guy...
So here is a link to the layout:

From Mac perspective it has the MAc key (or in this case: the Windows key) in the upper right hand corner!!! For a Mac it is the most important key (after the Delete and ENTER keys)

And from everybody else's perspective: Look where they placed the Tilde... right next to the Space Key!

How can Cnet ever give this keyboard an Editors Choice!

(I thought that they maybe wanted to "innovative", but then I noticed that they still have a stupid and useless CAPSLOCK key, so that theory was out the door)

What do you guys think? (I am pretty disappointed because I like the built quality and the backlight of the keys)

Offline simon_C

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 00:33:30 »
use the built in osx keyboard utility to change caps lock to command.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 01:06:05 »
Yeah, that is sort of an odd choice on their part. I don't know why they wouldn't have swapped those...

Though, isn't that keyboard aimed at gamers? Gamers hate the windows key, don't they?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 04:38:20 »
I would remap the key to . The key is not used by many and that location is quite near to where most Apple keyboards have it.

I also think that it is silly to have anything put modifiers on the bottom row, right next to the cursor keys. People tend to press them by mistake.
🍉

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:15:51 »
The windows and apple key can be easily switched from a functional perspective but based on the keycaps you cant just switch then since they are a different shape (grr)

Btw anybody have luck with actually reassigning the capslock key? I have done it with with the system prefs for my filco and it works really well... For every key with the exception of the capslock.  It seems that the hardware wiring overwrites the software setting

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:16:54 »
The windows and apple key can be easily switched from a functional perspective but based on the keycaps you cant just switch then since they are a different shape (grr)

Btw anybody have luck with actually reassigning the capslock key? I have done it with with the system prefs for my filco and it works really well... For every key with the exception of the capslock.  It seems that the hardware wiring overwrites the software setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline simon_C

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:19:20 »
open up your osx keyboard preferences, and click "modifier keys"
you can reassign your caps, control, option, and command keys to any of the other three.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:43:34 »
Quote from: theferenc;418018
Yeah, that is sort of an odd choice on their part. I don't know why they wouldn't have swapped those...

Though, isn't that keyboard aimed at gamers? Gamers hate the windows key, don't they?
It's aimed at gamers who need a keyboard mostly for gaming, so they won't really need the winkey easily accessible. The tilde key is more useful as it opens the console in a lot of games.

So in reply to the OP, this doesn't confuse me, makes a lot of sense.