Author Topic: A click before the switch registers mx cherry blue  (Read 1063 times)

Offline tomforsberg

A click before the switch registers mx cherry blue
« on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:26:28 »
I hope the title kind of explains my problem. I have a Das model S ultimate that's approximately 2 months old and when i gently press down my "a" key i can hear an audible click, almost like the one i can hear as the key is actually registered. The key doesn't feel different from the other keys, and when writing i can't hear it, i have to "provoke" it to notice it. But it is there and it annoys the crap out of me. I've removed the keycap and it's the same if i press directly on the switch, just not as loud. I've been searching the forums, but i can't seem to find this problem, and im wondering if anyone else has these problems, if theres a fix or if i just have to stop crying.

Offline tomforsberg

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 10:43:14 »
I think i was a bit fussy there, it's not after a keystroke. The sound comes when i gently push the "a" button down i can hear a faint click sound, then comes the "bump and the click". Still think i should replace the switch ?

Offline JBert

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 16:33:58 »
If the switch works, I see no point why you'd have to replace it - it is far more likely that you'd ruin a perfectly good board.

The blue switch has 3 moving parts inside (stem, clicker and switch leaf) so it's no wonder it could have some fake clicks if the parts bump into each other just before the switch actuates.

The problem might actually solve itself with prolonged use: if some part is out of spec, it might just wear out until all parts fit.

EDIT: See this animation for more info: http://park16.wakwak.com/~ex4/kb/tech/cherry_mx_click.swf
You can see that the parts bump into each other before the actual switch gets closed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 September 2011, 16:36:17 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline tomforsberg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 16:45:04 »
Ok, i guess i'll have to live with it. Aslong as it's not a common problem, or a DIY problem i'll be able to sleep at night ^^