Author Topic: Keyboard power draw?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline silverphoenix

Keyboard power draw?
« on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 12:34:24 »
I'm thinking of modding a KBC poker with LED's but I would like to know what the power draw (amperage) your average keyboard has.

The USB power output is 500mA max, and the LED's draw 25mA each but I can use resistors to lower there draw, but I would like to know how much the KB itself draws so I can have a good idea how much I have left over for the LEDs.

Offline itlnstln

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 12:56:58 »
I couldn't tell you what the specific draw is, but considering Deck, Ducky, et. al. have backlit, fullsize keyboards, I don't think a back-lit Poker would cause a problem.

Offline silverphoenix

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 13:31:40 »
Well the only estimation I can get is Deck has published they run their LED's at no more than 5.25mA, so I can deduce that their kb's use a maximum 500ish mA, which is beyond the usb spec but they probably run lower than that normally.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:06:53 »
Anyone with a mac? you can use the system profiler to give a pretty good estimate as to the power draw of connected USB devices.

For example, my model m draws more than my WASD. I forgot the exact numbers, though.

I'd say you're still looking at under 200 mA for a fullsize keyboard.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 05:14:20 »
I'm using Model M via Blue Cube on a Mac Pro daily and occasionally (when travelling) on a Macbook Pro - never had issues with it and I know old IBM is a power hog.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline TacticalCoder

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 07:00:58 »
Quote from: czarek;419013
I'm using Model M via Blue Cube on a Mac Pro daily and occasionally (when travelling) on a Macbook Pro - never had issues with it and I know old IBM is a power hog.

Hey czarek your avatar shows a 101 key Model M.  Just got my blue cubes from Half-Saint and your post made me realize I could now use my Ms on my MacBook Pro if I wanted to.

Are you really using a 101 key Model M on a Mac?  Where and how did you put the "apple" key on a 101 key?  I'd like to do just that but I only have 101 or 102 keys Model Ms.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline dorkvader

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 08:27:48 »
looks like a space-saver to me. I don't use mac OS, but I'd recommend remapping the capslock to ctrl or something, and using one of the ctrl keys as command.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 13:15:04 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;419023
Hey czarek your avatar shows a 101 key Model M.  Just got my blue cubes from Half-Saint and your post made me realize I could now use my Ms on my MacBook Pro if I wanted to.

Are you really using a 101 key Model M on a Mac?  Where and how did you put the "apple" key on a 101 key?  I'd like to do just that but I only have 101 or 102 keys Model Ms.

Yes until now I was using 101 key 1390131 but now I'm on a business travel in London and apparently my NIB Model M 84-key 1392934 has been delivered so I've changed my avatar.
And yes, even though I live in Europe I prefer ANSI layout. Lack of "apple" key aka Command (that's the name I prefer as I don't like Apple Inc.) is not an issue - I have Alt keys remapped to be Command keys, Ctrl keys remapped to be Options (Alts) and Caps Lock remapped to be Control. I'm so used to such layout at the moment I even tend to remap my 105 keys keyboards (like Endurapro) in similar way. It really does make sense.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline TacticalCoder

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 10:28:23 »
Quote from: czarek;419158
And yes, even though I live in Europe I prefer ANSI layout. Lack of "apple" key aka Command (that's the name I prefer as I don't like Apple Inc.) is not an issue - I have Alt keys remapped to be Command keys, Ctrl keys remapped to be Options (Alts) and Caps Lock remapped to be Control. I'm so used to such layout at the moment I even tend to remap my 105 keys keyboards (like Endurapro) in similar way. It really does make sense.

Yup, same here... I'm euro too but I prefer ANSI by far.  I also remap CAPS-LOCK to act as CTRL...  I guess now I'll make some room for the "command" key : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline dorkvader

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 11:12:12 »
I think I remember more than 100 mA when using my PS2 to USB adaptor. on my model M. I remember wanting to test if it really had more current demands such that some adaptors won't work with it.

Offline Urglifast

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 11:32:25 »
power draw?

depending on the color, you should be able to use resistors to control the amount of draw from the LEDs

Offline dorkvader

Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 18:29:03 »
Keep in mind that the resistors will also waste some power as heat. Blue LED's (with higher forward voltage) will waste less power through the resistors.

I found some 3.2V blue LED's at mouser. Putting 15 mA through them, you only need 1/8W resistors
The cheapest red LED's are 1.7V, and require a 1/4 resistor if you want the full 30 mA, 1/8W for the 15 mA

Offline Ninjerk

Re: Keyboard power draw?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:59:12 »
I'm checking my power draw:

Looks like Model M, Blackwidow, and Microsoft are all using about the same amount of power: 100mA.

When I plug in my USB flash drive, that spikes it up to about 250mA. USB port can handle up to 500mA.