Author Topic: O-Ring mod - which size?  (Read 14713 times)

Offline neverlast74

O-Ring mod - which size?
« on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 09:02:20 »
:suspicious:Hi there I am having a (German) Filco brown as well as a Celeritas and want to try the o-ring mod in order to shorten the travel way. Now as I understand that it is 2mm until the key sends a signal and another 2mm to bottom out. I would say o-ring thickness should be somewhere 0,5-1,9 mm (in theory). WASD sells the 0,5mm rings.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

What is your advice/experience o-rings with 0,5mm ? 1mm? or 1,5mm? Any specifics about the material?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2011, 10:22:23 by neverlast74 »
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline nikonf5

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 15:51:54 »
I have a Das brown un-modded that I bought for the gf and both the soft landing pads as well as the WASD O-rings from my mod attempts on my Das blue at work.

I love the WASD O-rings and, in fact, the gf is picking up a Filco 104 w/blues from her cousin in Florida this month end to bring back to Canada and I will be modding that with O-rings as well.

The WASD O-rings are listed as nitrile rubber but I have heard of silicone being used.

Offline sordna

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 17:50:47 »
Actually there is a gap between the keycap and the switch, so a 0.5mm o-ring will not have any effect. I believe that even a 1mm o-ring may or may not have an effect, it's highly dependent on the internal keycap shape and size.
The 1.58mm (standard 008 US size) o-rings seem to reduce key travel by less than .5mm on most keycaps I have tried. Cherry doubleshots were an exception, these thick keycaps had shorter stems, and the key travel with such keycaps was reduced by around 0.5 - 1mm.

If you are in Europe I highly suggest you buy a few different metric o-rings and report the results here or in the o-ring wiki discussion thread. This will help non US folks.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline neverlast74

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 04:40:56 »
sordna:
Thank you for your post. Your right - the distance from the inside stems until the outside walls is more than 4mm 5,5mm or something - so I will have to use at least 2mm or 2 rings per cap :-)

here a low quality photo to illustrate -> http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9679/93202636.jpg

thanks!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2011, 05:00:43 by neverlast74 »
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline sordna

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 10:36:02 »
Not quite, the ideal size is around 1.5mm. Your measurement does not take into account how far the switch stems goes inside the keycap hole. Anyway, 2mm would be too thick for sure.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dux

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:07:16 »
I use O-rings from WASD on MX Blues and Cherry doubleshots. I noticed that the middle row (asdfg..) has a little bit shorter travel after the click then the other rows. So, ideally, one should even think about getting two different sizes, especially for the Cherry doubleshots. Anyway it works great and I wouln't want to be without them.

I use two of the rings on the spacebar. But the spacebar is original from the PLU ml87

Offline neverlast74

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:19:43 »
Your right again :) the fact the stem goes into the switch-stem, reduces the potential amount of travel way I could reduce with o-rings. So if I want to effectively reduce the travel way, beyond what a 1,5 ring does,  I will have to apply some mats/cushion around each switch, right?

the company I have just around the corner offers all kind of o-rings with different thickness 1.5,1.6,1.7,1.8,1.9 and so on (http://www.persicaner.at/O-Ringe_Stuetzringe/NBR/NBR2frame.htm sorry in German). May be I test some of them to see which of them are fine. Next question is then is the softness / harndess of the ring - I have read somewhere shore 50 is better then the shore 70.

AFAIK I have no doubleshots these are the "regular" Filco Majestouch 2 caps (I guess). :noidea:

Thanks a lot!:wave:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:57:21 by neverlast74 »

Offline sordna

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 18:09:21 »
Why don't you get them from wasdkeyboards.com -- someone else from Germany got the soft o-rings from them:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20857-O-Ring-Rubber-Switch-Dampeners-now-available&p=419028&viewfull=1#post419028

I think he can mail them in a letter, very cheap.

Offline neverlast74

O-Ring mod - which size?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 10:28:10 »
ok I ordered a package... :-)