Author Topic: What is the smoothest key switch?  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Findecanor

What is the smoothest key switch?
« on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 14:59:44 »
I have seen and heard a lot about Topre's capacitative conical spring/dome switch, which is considered to be very smooth and friction-less, but I think that there may be another rarer older or industrial switch that feels even smoother.
Good scissor-switches can be very very stable -- and because of their construction there is no friction on off-center key presses whatsoever, but they do have a short throw.

What kind of keyboard or switches have you tried, that you found to be very smooth? "Mechanical" or rubber dome, it does not matter.
🍉

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 15:11:02 »
Both Topre and Cherry Red are very smooth in my opinion.

Offline xmrxkrazy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 15:12:23 »
Cherry MX Reds. (*edit* Aw crap, lister beat me to it)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 15:23:04 »
My green ALPS (linear and complicated) are very smooth, but Cherry switches are easier to come by. I'd recommend going with Cherry, for price reasons. (I have no experience on Cherries)

Offline yjhuoh

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 15:45:03 »
cherry reds for sure.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 17:26:16 »
Linear switches are definitely smoother than tactile, yes, but I think that there could be switches that much less friction than Cherry Reds that aren't Topres.
🍉

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 17:58:02 »
Topres and MX reds are the smoothest that I have tried.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 17:59:08 »
I think cherry blacks feel smoother than cherry reds. With the reds, the spring is less of a resistance component than blacks, so you kinda feel and even hear a bit of friction (although it would be the same if you could somehow measure it). On my Poker with reds I can definitely hear the switch if I bob it up and down (without bottoming out or topping out). I put some old-fashioned lubricating oil on one of them and it improved the feel (made it smoother) and silenced the audible sliding sound I was getting.

My Goldtouch keyboard and the Comfort Keyboard I used to have (both rubber domes) are definitely smoother than any Cherry MX switch, sadly.

I think lubing cherries is a worthwhile idea; still waiting for Ripster's RO-59 killah investigation, but it looks stalled at the moment :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Pylon

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 21:55:42 »
Probably hall effect boards, but good luck finding one.

Offline WorldExclusive

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 22:01:08 »
Reds.
Leopold TKL White w/ Red Switches and Red on Black DS Caps

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 22:47:49 »
Steinway and the lesser known Blüthner pianos have incredibly weighted keys and actions. I also highly recommend Fazioli. Those are pretty expensive though.
Dvorak

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 22:56:19 »
1980's-ish cherry blacks. just perfect for basically any application
keyboards!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 23:07:30 »
Topre switches are definitely smoother than reds.  Every key press is like cutting into rich creamery butter with a hot knife.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 01:26:24 »
Quote from: hashbaz;419389
Topre switches are definitely smoother than reds.  Every key press is like cutting into rich creamery butter with a hot knife.

Silent is even smoother than regular.

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 01:44:26 »
Topre for sure. I have been alternating between a Topre 45g and variable, and a cherry blue and red. Topres really are buttery smooth. For me, even the cherry reds feel rough and almost choppy compared to both Topres. The blues more so than the reds.
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 04:03:47 »
Someone needs to invent a switch where the key sits freely suspended in a magnetic field...

I like the Topres, They are a smooth typing exoerience. The reds might be to light for me, I keep bottoming them out.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 04:13:16 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;419462
Someone needs to invent a switch where the key sits freely suspended in a magnetic field...

I like the Topres, They are a smooth typing exoerience. The reds might be to light for me, I keep bottoming them out.

what a nice ideia! that would be the true cloud of b00bs.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Rafen

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 06:03:02 »
I love the feel of the topre switches. The only problem is that I seem to be bottoming them out more than browns or blues. Topre are still the smoothest in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2011, 06:07:33 by Rafen »

Offline JBert

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 15:02:06 »
If you like it clicky, the model F's buckling springs are nice.
Since you push down on the spring until it buckles, there's no friction like with the blues (albeit they have very little resistance and hence not that much friction).
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 11:30:12 »
Quote from: ripster;419951
That is pretty smooth.
(Attachment Link) 27042[/ATTACH]

Nice work! =D

Now you only need to arrange magnets to create the fields to keep the plunger in place without the tube. No risks of any friction is acceptable!

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:23:36 »
Quote from: ripster;419421
What's their touchweight?  See RipOmeter if you need to know how to measure them.

Most piano manufacturers try to aim for about 50g, BUT I find that most well made grand pianos range from about 30-45g. I believe Fazioli is known for a very light action. However, if a good quality grand is kept in very good condition and refurbished over the years, its action can become even lighter, which is why a lot of great concert halls carry pianos that are decades old - and if you get the opportunity to play such a high quality instrument, you'll see what light a touch it requires.

But I will try to get some nickels and test the weight of the keys on my school's best grands (if I can get away with it, tehee).

And if people are wondering why I am talking about pianos at all in this thread - I personally don't know ANY type of key/switch/action smoother than that of a high quality grand piano. They are made specifically for a light and smooth touch and I know pianists who practice for hours without their fingers tiring because of this.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:27:08 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:57:25 »
Here's a good picture of a standard Steinway Model D.

But HERE's the action of a key.

btw, those metal cylinders in the wood of the key are weights specifically placed in drilled out holes to help make keys uniformly weighted and perfect for the pianist.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 September 2011, 13:01:52 by Playtrumpet »
Dvorak

Offline pitashen

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 00:04:35 »
Quote from: hashbaz;419389

And you pay almost 3 times more to get that slight smoother feel.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 02:50:21 »
Quote from: pitashen;420284
And you pay almost 3 times more to get that slight smoother feel.

And that is largely irrelevant. Not buying "the best"/what you really want because of that is usually a lame priority. Save up a few hours of salary more and get what you want.

The full size MX red Filco is £140 at keyboarco, the full size Realforces £160. That is not a big difference.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 03:12:21 »
I like the way you think.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 03:35:12 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;420308
And that is largely irrelevant. Not buying "the best"/what you really want because of that is usually a lame priority. Save up a few hours of salary more and get what you want.

The full size MX red Filco is £140 at keyboarco, the full size Realforces £160. That is not a big difference.

$109 leopold MX reds v. $265 Realforce in the states from elitekeyboards. I couldn't tell you which is "the best", but I don't think I'm alone when I say that's a hefty premium. (just making a note that there's a larger difference in price over here)

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 05:48:06 »
Quote from: Skull_Angel;420315
$109 leopold MX reds v. $265 Realforce in the states from elitekeyboards. I couldn't tell you which is "the best", but I don't think I'm alone when I say that's a hefty premium. (just making a note that there's a larger difference in price over here)

The "best" keyboard is the one you want. Yes the Topres are expensive, the Leopolds aren't cheap either. If it is a Topre you want it is the Leopold that is too expensive. The same goes for all enthusiast equipment.

I don't know anything about the quality of the Leopold, but the Topre boards are no doubt more complex technically and presumably built with higher quality materials. The assembly of a Realforce would have to be more complex as well. And I would be surprised if there aren't 10 Cherry switches produced per Tore switch. Also of course Realforce is quite alone in the capacitive switch keyboard market and able to charge a bit more.

Offline duncan

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 08:15:35 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;420335
The "best" keyboard is the one you want. Yes the Topres are expensive, the Leopolds aren't cheap either. If it is a Topre you want it is the Leopold that is too expensive. The same goes for all enthusiast equipment.

+1

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 11:19:46 »
Quote from: Findecanor;419201
What kind of keyboard or switches have you tried, that you found to be very smooth? "Mechanical" or rubber dome, it does not matter.

The OP asked about the smoothest switch.  No mention of cost.  Topre switches are smoother than MX reds.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 11:22:02 »
Quote from: Playtrumpet;419383
Steinway and the lesser known Blüthner pianos have incredibly weighted keys and actions. I also highly recommend Fazioli. Those are pretty expensive though.

Ripster, when are we going to see a piano mod wiki?

Offline Mazora

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 11:30:56 »
Topre switch feels definitely more smooth and also more reliable (less shaky?) to me than the mx-red switch.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:11:57 »
Quote from: hashbaz;420428
The OP asked about the smoothest switch.  No mention of cost.  Topre switches are smoother than MX reds.
The OP is not interested in either Topre switches or MX reds ...

The smoothest type of switch that I have tested was a light linear short-throw switch in a Tandberg terminal keyboard. I got to try it out at an auction seller's right before he gave it to the auction winner. I had not bid on it because I thought that all Tandberg keyboards had Cherry ML switches, and I am not a fan of Cherry ML. I did pull a cap, though, but I did not recognize the switch and I have never seen that type since. Anyway, I walked away with a bunch of other nice and bad keyboards for very little money, so it was not a bad day after all
🍉

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:46:24 »
Sounds like it's about time for another meme contest?

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:56:51 »
Smoothest key switch - toss up between the silent Realforce and reds.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 22:32:02 »
Anything Cherry MX is not smooth. Nice keyfeel, yes, but they're the antithesis of smooth -- the sliders give a very frictiony feel to the keypress. Blues are the most obvious of course but all flavours seem to exhibit it to some degree. Alps are similar.

I'd say straight vanilla buckling springs are much smoother than Cherry MX. Firm keyfeel though and very tactile click. Model F buckling springs are smoother still and slightly lighter (lighter in tactility too).

However the smoothest I've tried has to be beamsprings (once you pull the rubber sheet out). Almost effortless to type on. Very, very little friction. And very light as well.

I'd love to have a Topre board one day.
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 21:38:58 »
Probably black alps, especially simplified.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 24 September 2011, 22:34:07 »
Quote from: BababooeyHTJ;420978
Probably black alps, especially simplified.

Um...lolwut?

Topre is smoothest IMHO.