Author Topic: keyboard controller  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Lanx

keyboard controller
« on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 17:40:20 »
i want to "standardize" my projects so i think the best for me is to get and learn a teensy. Usually i just scavenge logitech controller boards (cuz they have real pins) or a g15 but i want to just make it standard.

So my question is, i'm horrible with programming, and barely remember any of it, there's like a "tutorial kit" that i could (and will just buy) on the teensy site to learn like 4 tutorials, but like how hard is this gonna be to setup, and get going? i don't want to like reload firmware after firmware, i just want to load a basic keyboard firmware and never reload it again really.

thoughts? i'm planning this controller for my kinesis/ergo 4k build.

Offline wcass

keyboard controller
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 19:50:41 »
There are two geekhack worthy controller; the Aikon and the Teensy.

The Aikon:
user built using inexpensive parts and instructions that can be found here or on OTD
any switch can be made to send any key
easy UI for programming

The Teensy:
a little more expensive ($16-27) but requires no building
any switch can be made to send any key
need programming skills to program
more features are being added all the time - like Bluetooth

If you have good hardware skills, do a google search on Aikon. Thanks go to Geekhack member inornate for this.

If your software skills are better, search out the Macway and HHKB mods here by the member hasu. He has done all the hard part of the software - it just needs to be wrapped in an easy to use UI. I have been planning on doing just that - but i have so many other projects and so little time.

Offline Lanx

keyboard controller
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:06:49 »
man do i have to program with the teensy? can't i just use the teensy loader and that's it?, i don't want anything special just 105key controller basically.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
keyboard controller
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:31:56 »
The easiest firmware to deal with so far if you want straight/simple is the humble hacker KB.  You don't even need to know the matrix of your board, just load of a special version of the firmware and press the keys.  On the other hand if you want to customize the firmware I think this one is the most difficult because of how it was built to achieve what features is does have.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Lanx

keyboard controller
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 07:11:56 »
i don't understand the humble hacker kb, is it a kb or a controller they're selling or supporting? cuz i also goto the firmware section, and it's basically saying it's been abandoned, and going further it even says to get a teensy++, so is it firmware? idk i'm confused.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
keyboard controller
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:04:07 »
If you click firmware, you land on a page that says the project has been split into multiple parts and the one you landed in is defunct.  Then you can click on firmware underneath that message and land in the firmware repo. The readme that displays has a link to the wiki which more or less will walk you through setting it up.  The author (David) is responsive to email, so you can ask him questions.  The project itself is pretty much stalled for whatever reason, but the firmware is complete.  It's the complete keyboard that he was interested in producing that's stalled.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline CeeSA

keyboard controller
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:22:04 »
maybe you would like to join the [MO] Chameleon Keyboard Controller
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1243

Offline Lanx

keyboard controller
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:36:10 »
oh that looks cool, why so many ppl on deskthority want so many? lol i don't see many mod projects on deskthority. but this controller is chinese?

Offline one_each

keyboard controller
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 11:40:59 »
If you don't want to program then you don't want the teensy.  It is just a simple microcontroller board that has only a bootloader pre-installed.  This makes the teensy easy to get started with and very flexible in what it does (I.E. it can be more then just a keyboard controller).  However, you will need to write all of the code to make it a keyboard controller including scanning for key presses, figuring out how you want to send NKRO, macro recording/storage/playback and any other features you want.  Lots of flexibility, but lots of work as well.
**something random**

Offline wcass

keyboard controller
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 14:59:24 »
the chameleon looks promising, but i would need to see the software and manual before i order one.

i wish that inornate and hasu would collaborate. the Aikon user interface is great (youtube link). the Teensy is the easy hardware.