Author Topic: High Quality ALPS  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Magna224

High Quality ALPS
« on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 18:20:52 »
My favorite switches so far are the clicky ALPS switches and I was wondering what are the best quality keyboards with ALPS switches? I know the Omnikey is well known for its quality but what others are better or can at least compare?

On a related note hows the filco zero? Are there any significant problems with it?
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline N8N

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 18:59:03 »
I believe that if you can find a SGI "Granite" board w/ PS/2 and the cream Alps those are supposed to be pretty much the equivalent of a Model M in the Alps world.  They use the same dampened sliders as the Apple Extended Keyboard II.  Be careful though, not all PS/2 Granite boards are Alps, some are RD.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Magna224

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 20:44:03 »
Hmm mabey I could solder some Blue ALPS onto one. Would like to try the dampeneds anyways.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline N8N

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 20:49:53 »
well, if you're going to go to the trouble of changing switches, there's some new keyboard out w/ Alps clone switches...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-104-Keys-Mechanical-Gaming-USB-2-0-Keyboard-/290613340250

the sliders are blue, but I doubt they are the same as the old blue Alps.

I know it's been discussed here before, but I don't know if anyone has actually tested one yet... but I'm thinking that being new and being marketed toward gamers it might have more KRO than a "classic" Alps board.  And if you're going to mod something, might as well mod something new and cheap rather than old and collectible.  I just mentioned the Granite because I think that if I had to use an Alps board that is pretty much exactly what I would want in unmodded form.  (although I have not tried all the Alps flavors by far, because they're harder to find than are the various flavors of Cherry MX.  I haven't put much effort into it though because I personally like the lower actuation point and higher force after actuation of the Cherry switches.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2011, 20:53:43 by N8N »
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Magna224

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:12:17 »
Well the Blues would be coming off of my old '88 focus 2001 which I love but cant use. I would prefer it if I didn't have to use it but I will if need be.

Also I saw those new ones but do you think the quality of the board will be good? I'm looking for a daily driver that I am going to use until the switches are worn and it dies and I want something sturdy. The first thing that came to my mind was the Filco Zero but thats just because I have never owned one of the legendary filcos (and I heard fukkas are supposed to be pretty nice for simplifieds +tenkeyless).

*Ripster your massive database of knowledge is too much for me to take in at once. It is infinite information, I can never find things in it.

Offline Clickey

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:44:29 »
Earlier focus keyboards are great IMO. Are you including similar to ALPS mechanisms? Because I prefer NEC's to ALPS, and SMK's to everything. Dunno why so little info on SMK's they feel amazing.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline itlnstln

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 11:26:24 »
So, you say "high-quality" ALPS...

Offline Magna224

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 11:34:41 »
Quote from: ripster;421537
Actually I consider the Ripster subforum to be quite manageable.

Should I create subforums?

Its good, I just missed the ALPS section. I just did Ctrl+F to find it.

The quality of the keyboard is most important to me at this point, as I can always swap the switches. I have been wanting to try some of the SMK switches and I saw that NEC board on the forums and seriously considered it, is the quality of the board good?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2011, 11:37:30 by Magna224 »

Offline Wibox

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 16:49:22 »
I personally find the dampened cream ALPS in the Apple Keyboard II feel terribly ****ty. They are not fun to type on.

I have a Filco Zero and it is very nice. I've desoldered the simplified fukka switches (Which are actually great to type on!!) and replaced them with oranges.

The Filzo has good build quality as usual but the plate pings, I plan on replacing the plate with another ALPS board's plate. Originally I was going to replace it with the keyboard the orange ALPS originally came from (which did not ping) but they have the function keys rotated so I have to find a different board that I don't mind throwing away. Maybe my Dell 101W.
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline Magna224

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 23:06:59 »
I don't mind ping noises, i'm not picky, as long as it feels sturdy and the switches are to my liking.

Btw I was referring to this Ripster http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22054-White-complicated-ALPS-Acers-and-NEC-blue-Keyboards

Offline False_Dmitry_II

High Quality ALPS
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 23:36:16 »
Speaking of doing stuff to the actual plates, how hard would it be to cut one up and rearrange it and somehow reattach it?

I think alps are more moddable than cherry switches are. You can change out sliders springs and tactile/click leaves (or go without).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)