Author Topic: Yet Another Keyboard Cleaning Post  (Read 1263 times)

Offline StaCT13

Yet Another Keyboard Cleaning Post
« on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:11:32 »
Hey guys! I've been stalking the forums here for a while, researching boards, and I finally decided to post. Anyways, I recently found myself an old Dell AT101W (black alps), and love it. However, It was pretty well used, and I decided to clean it. So, I took the case off, and found the cardboard (used to prevent shorts from the tinfoil RF shield) was soggy.

Great, I thought. This board has been through some form of liquid damage. Now, the whole thing works, but I saw that as an invitation to a whole bunch of crap inside.

And I was right. The metal plate around the keys has some slight rust stains on it (not too worried about...), and what appears to be dust, just caked on and pretty much immovable. Anyways, I then proceeded with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, but I got just about nowhere with that. That crud was stuck on pretty well. Next up, Windex and q-tips. Well, it worked, just horribly slow. I ended up using over 2 dozen q-tips and about 15 minutes, and barely a scratch was made. So, essentially, barely anything came off the metal plate. I don't have a way of submerging the whole board, so what should I do? Is little-by-little the only way to really clean this thing, or is there some other magical clean-everything-instantly household chemical?

Thanks for any help you give me!

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 00:40:45 »
wlcm2gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline pitashen

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 03:29:06 »
another welcome from me (without responding to your post, lol)
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 03:50:42 »
dont use windex on electronics

Offline Clickey

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 03:53:27 »
You can use sandpaper on rust to get it off (will leave the spot shiny from metal underneith).
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor