Author Topic: Cracked Barrel Plate FUUUUUUUUU...  (Read 3769 times)

Offline hawkwind

Cracked Barrel Plate FUUUUUUUUU...
« on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:47:11 »
Chiseled of the rivets on my SSK and when pulling off the key caps discovered...

Now what do I do?

Offline N8N

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:52:29 »
maybe see if Unicomp can sell you a new one for a Customizer and cut it down?  (would that even work?)

Otherwise, MY fix would likely involve epoxy and fiberglass cloth, but I was once accused on another forum of being a "notorious fixer of broken stuff."  (I don't think it was intended as a compliment, but I took it that way anyway )
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline mr626

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:52:45 »
Cry :Cry:

Order one from Unicomp?

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 21:56:52 »
Unicomp doesn't have SSK barrel plates. OP would have to order one for a fullsize board and trim off the numpad area.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:03:56 »
Quote from: N8N;421349
Otherwise, MY fix would likely involve epoxy and fiberglass cloth...

If I do that what are the chances of **** hitting the fan when I start drilling holes through it? Keep in mind the drilling will be between the holes and the plastic is thicker there because of ridges.

Offline N8N

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:05:38 »
Quote from: hawkwind;421354
If I do that what are the chances of **** hitting the fan when I start drilling holes through it? Keep in mind the drilling will be between the holes and the plastic is thicker there because of ridges.

depends how impatient you are :)

I seriously would call Unicomp first though.  New stuff is good.  With something like this, you probably want the plate as uniform as possible so the keys all sound/feel the same when you hit them.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:09:02 »
The plate does rest on the metal plate, so in terms of feel I should be okay? My dad just suggested super glue. I've already spent too much money on this to get a new plate sent from the US.

Offline N8N

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:12:34 »
oh, you're not in the US, I didn't notice that.  That does make a difference.

Super glue is one of those things where it either works or it doesn't.  If it is a brand new crack it might work really well.  However I would probably try just epoxying the crack first, see how it goes.  Sometimes you might be surprised.  I have some Loctite brand high strength epoxy that I actually used to glue together a floor tile after I horked it up trying to cut it - for various reasons that tile didn't get used.  My roommate was trying to break it over his leg to make shims out of it, he actually ended up breaking it at a different spot from where I glued it!

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:17:59 »
Would THIS (Loctite E-20HP) be the stuff to get? How do I put it on the crack? Just over the top or do I somehow have to get it in between?

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:35:44 »
I think it would, but it'll look funny since that cures to an off-white colour.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:45:30 »
Well I just used some epoxy from the shed that said it worked on most plastics. This won't end well I'm guessing...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 04:07:55 »
Will there not be enough bolts that it would not matter?

What kind of plastic is the rivet plate? PS and ABS can be repaired with a goo of plastic dissolved in solvent, but you will never get full strength back. It might be best to make the repair when the barrel plate is bolted on.
🍉

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 06:06:45 »
Quote from: ripster;421386
Bummer.  Hope you followed the instructions in my sig on how to prevent that.  Also there IS a fix if you can cut up a full size Model M like this one.

Yes, I read your guide and propped the board onto some pieces of wood. I have no idea if I cracked it or it came cracked. Should have checked it first. I emailed Unicomp about a replacement plate.

Quote from: Findecanor;421421
Will there not be enough bolts that it would not matter?
What kind of plastic is the rivet plate? PS and ABS can be repaired with a goo of plastic dissolved in solvent, but you will never get full strength back. It might be best to make the repair when the barrel plate is bolted on.

Yeah, I'm hoping the ~40 bolts I've put into the plate will make the crack not matter. Don't what type of plastic it is, has a 2 printed on it though.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 07:09:39 »
i would use gorrilla glue, it's awesome. currently the plastic tray of my fridge split down the middle, i used gorilla glue and it held tight for 2 years (it recently resurfaced) note, this try holds up like 10-20lbs of food daily, i'm not saying it'll work for life, but it's been strong so far. actually i really should get back to gluing it back again.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 08:56:16 »
I think it's fine. There are enough bolts holding it together that a crack like that doesn't really matter.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 09:47:36 »
Yeah similar happened to my 1390131 when I was replacing springs. I glued it up with super glue and put together with bolts and it works good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2011, 12:54:29 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 10:14:46 »
Quote from: czarek;421480
Yeah similar happened to my 1390131 when I was replacing springs. I glued it up with supper glue and put together with bolts and it works good.

Supper glue - it's sticks-to-your-ribs good.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 12:55:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;421493
Supper glue - it's sticks-to-your-ribs good.

Lol I'm not using 131 any more since I got my NIB Model M Space Saving. Feels so much better than the old clunker. Even if the old one has brand new Unicomp Springs.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline jpc

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 13:16:49 »
I had a cracked mini barrel plate, and tried to reassemble it as-is. The result was a board that PINGed loudly, before that was cool. Some keys would ring the whole metal plate like a bell.

2nd try, I added glue to the crack. This had no effect on the sound.

Cutting down the barrel plate from a full size M fixed it. You can literally chop off the numpad with a hacksaw :biggrin:

The bolt pattern is the same for minis and full size boards, and hasn't changed from oooold IBMs to modern Unicomps.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 01:36:41 »

Plate has multiple cracks now since I started tightening the screws and one screw didn't have a whole to go through! It would have held not for that stupid mistake. But it's all together now with new springs from Unicomp. The F row pings like hell but the rest seems pretty good. Now to stare at it and wonder why I bought it...