Author Topic: Need help with IBM model M 1391401 white label, please help  (Read 1674 times)

Offline ramelendez

Need help with IBM model M 1391401 white label, please help
« on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 18:02:07 »
Hi, I am new here i own  a dell at101w and a IBM model M, as much as I love them both, i found some trouble with the IBM model M. I use the ps/2 to usb blue cube adapter for my laptop and desktops, both running i7 processors and windows 7. No matter how much i try using the keyboard, it starts acting up strangely, every time i click, it double clicks, maybe even triple click with the mouse because the keyboard is causing a disturbance of some sort. Whenever I write something it also writes it twice. I've tried the Adesso ps/2 to usb adapter as well with no luck. Can someone please tell me what is causing this, what is the problem? I think maybe i need a new SQL connection cable since the Dellat101w works just fine with my blue cube adapter but the MODEL M 1391401 does not. Any feedback would be great appreciated! Help me out fellow geekhackers! :D

Offline mr626

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 21:55:26 »
Whatever you need, I suspect a 'SQL connection cable' has exactly nothing to do with it, unless you are storing database tables on your keyboard. :rofl:

Exactly what 'blue cube' are you using? Can you post make and model, maybe a picture?
Can you verify that the Model M works correctly on a computer that has a PS/2 port?
Have you tried a different mouse on the computer?

Model M's are known to operate a little bit 'outside' the standard PS/2 spec, so problems like this aren't uncommon.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 22:15:01 »
THE blue cube. Go read the USB wiki, if you really have no idea what it is. I am disappoint.

But yeah, given that the blue cube is known to work just fine, thank you very much, and so does that other keyboard with it, I would suspect the problem would lie somewhere in the model m. I don't really think a new SDL would do anything though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ramelendez

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 07:24:55 »
The blue cube adapter I've used with my dell At101w and my IBM Model M is indeed the Blue Cube sold on clicky keyboards, so I know it's legit and should do the job.

I also suspected something was wrong with my Model M internally, I'm not sure what, nor how to fix it.

As for different mouses and keyboard they work fine on my Compaq C500 laptop, and Asus i7 920 desktop computer.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 11:02:17 »
Well the first step is to verify that it is messing up by finding a place to use it directly through PS/2.

After that the suspects would likely be the membrane and/or controller.

... Now in SIMULPOST.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline mich

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 12:52:40 »
Quote from: ramelendez;421751
every time i click, it double clicks, maybe even triple click with the mouse because the keyboard is causing a disturbance of some sort. Whenever I write something it also writes it twice.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you mean:
mouse + blue cube + Dell -> everything works
mouse + blue cube + IBM -> all mouse clicks and keypresses are doubled?

This would be very weird.

Probably it's not a software problem, because the software shouldn't know what kind of keyboard is attached to the blue cube.
Also, I can't imagine how a misbehaving blue cube could in any circumstances produce mouse click messages.
Do you still get double keypresses if you connect only the blue cube, without any mouse?
Maybe there is something wrong with USB? Have you tried using other ports? Are there any hubs in you setup?

It might be helpful to have some USB sniffer to know what's really going on on the wire. You might try to find something for windows or just get access to some linux box and use tcpdump - the second option is preferable as I should be able to help you :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2011, 13:01:47 by mich »