Author Topic: PCB Mounted KBC Poker for trying out and changing switches?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
PCB Mounted KBC Poker for trying out and changing switches?
« on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 06:13:14 »
So this idea just came about.

I want to try out different switches out for both typing and gaming. For typing, Clears, Ergo Clears, and Panda Clears come to mind. For gaming I'd like certain keys to be clicky or bumpy.

I know that the Filco is pretty much the best Cherry keyboard out there and I am picking up both a Blue & Black switch Majestouch-2 soon. But it requires soldering, which I do not know anything about as of yet. You have to do it for each switch so it is tedious. I want to learn and I will but I don't wanna ruin my keyboard so quickly.

My problem besides being new to soldering is I don't actually know what switches I want on there. I need to experiment and try different kinds on different keys, screw around with feel until I find a combo I like. That's a lot of desoldering, soldering, huh?

I think I would rather do the Filco just once so I would know what I want on there and be done with it.

Anyway, I don't think I'd like the Poker very much. It is really small and has no tilt legs with medium quality build. But for trying out different switches as I learn to solder, would it be a good idea to pick one up? They are only about $100 on eBay and I am sure could sell it cheaper later if I don't need it.

What do you think? Should I have one be my Frankenstein? Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:47:20 by Deverica Wolf »
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline SBI

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 06:18:55 »
I'd get a G80 for that.

Offline pyro

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:16:01 »
^
Poker have LED-Switches under some keys, so you won't be able be open them without desoldering the entire switch, whereas you should be able to replace stems and springs on a G80 without desoldering (and it's cheaper).

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:43:50 »
Thanks. I noticed the LEDs...always something.

Are you guys talking about this one, the Cherry-G80-3000LSCEU-2? There is no information on it. I'm finding a lot of Cherry G80s.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL

Offline SBI

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:50:43 »
Any G80, they're all PCB-mounted. So if you're only going to be testing, it doesn't really matter.

Offline N8N

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:50:59 »
Any cherry G80 will work fine as a switch try board, I have a couple "rawko" POS boards (G80-8200LPBUS-2) and actually am trying to sell one (already cleaned up) now if you're interested.  They're also available on eBay in clear and brown versions, although he may be out of browns now.  Or any other Cherry G80 board that has a layout that you like will work fine; they're all PCB mount and therefore easy to swap stems and sliders.

What I did was to use the POS board as my switch try board, before ripping my Filco open and modding it because whereas it takes maybe an hour to swap all the stems and springs on a POS board it takes a lot longer to do it on a Filco and involves soldering - although once you've decided on a switch, having a squared-away looking and plate mounted keyboard is obviously nice.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 08:51:37 »
lots of cherry g80's
g80-1900
g80-3000
g80-8200

they use cherry mx and just have bunch of different layouts.

Offline duncan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 09:03:16 »
[strike]The Poker would be a good choice for what you want but it seems a G80 would be even better.[/strike]

EDIT:
I was so late in responding my post is just embarrassing.
Sorry for taking up board space with this cr@p.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2011, 09:17:12 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 11:23:21 »
The G80-11908HRMIT is probably the best deal on ebay. It's Italian iso, but its new and still cheaper than scroungy old pos boards. I bought one to do the same thing with, and the different Italian keycaps are a nice bonus.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2011, 11:28:35 by lysol »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 13:17:55 »
isn't that a cherry black board? he could use the springs i guess for panda clears (is that black spring/white stem?).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 15:30:37 »
Yes it has blacks and a grey for the space.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 23:48:23 »
Quote from: duncan;422640
[strike]The Poker would be a good choice for what you want but it seems a G80 would be even better.[/strike]

EDIT:
I was so late in responding my post is just embarrassing.
Sorry for taking up board space with this cr@p.

Not at all, bro. I appreciate your input. Adds more flame to the fire! :tongue:

Anyway, thanks peeps. I will look and decide what I want.

Does anyone know where I can buy stems and springs? Kind of worthless buying the G80 without them.