Author Topic: Need Help with Mac to TV hookup (SOLVED!)  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Diogones

Need Help with Mac to TV hookup (SOLVED!)
« on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 20:35:12 »
Need help with Mac to TV hookup
I have a 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo, and I'm trying to hook it up to my older analog tube TV. The TV only has S-Video, coaxial, and composite (Red Yellow White) hookups. I've purchased the recommended VGA to RCA or S-video cable by Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A?mco=4BB568D3

But now I've run into a snag. When I first attached the adapter to the Mini, and then to the TV via S-Video, the picture was all right. But after I tried to change the resolution, the TV started flickering and the picture changed to black and white. The screen essentially became unreadable, and I haven't been able to find a solution.

I restarted the Mac, I've tried a different S-Video cable, and I've ensured that the TV was on the "Video 1" output, which is what the TV uses. I also tried using the yellow composite video instead, with the same results. Regardless of which video input I use, the TV is a mess.

Is there a way that I can change the Mac Display Preferences from PAL to NTSC? I'm thinking that could be the possible cause of the problem, so if I could change the signal protocol, maybe that would work. I just don't think it's a bad adapter, because it is brand new, and I have found other instances, in both this forum and others, of this precise adapter displaying these symptoms. Should I try a VGA adapter instead, or is there another solution?
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2011, 00:06:24 by Diogones »

Offline Diogones

Need Help with Mac to TV hookup (SOLVED!)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 00:05:02 »
Great news! I finally found a fix for my problem! After following the advice in this Apple Support Discussion thread, I was back in buisness! First, I restarted in Safe Mode, then deleted the com.apple.WindowServer.plist, and recreated it the proper directory, and the TV was back to its original display when I first attached the Mac to it!