Author Topic: looking for a sc2 keyboard  (Read 6095 times)

Offline qOne

looking for a sc2 keyboard
« on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 16:25:17 »
Hi,

thats my first time posting at geekhack and im not good in english, so be patient please :)

i googled skygear keyboards and im not sure about the keyboards, because i cant speak korean.

im not sure wich one is better, or should i pick another one?
it would be nice if some one could explain some pro and conts!

thanks!! :)

Offline qOne

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 16:27:53 »
i cant post a url, so i write the names down:

skydigital NKEYboard (with the "beyond the game" button)
skydigital NKEYboard "Mechanic"

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 18:15:19 »
The first keyboard isn't mechanical but it does have nkro.  Also it boast a sturdy rubber membrane and a button to disable the windows key.  I would get a mechanical keyboard and not bother with rubber domes(unless its topre).

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 19:11:12 »
Quite honestly, rubber domes are not that terrible for playing starcraft especially considering the fact that a large majority of korean progamers still use  the Qsenn Dt-35.

Offline qOne

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 12:04:09 »
hmm, i still dont know wich one i buy :(
and honestly, i dont understand what u guys talking ^^
i mean, is there no "better", just defferent opinions? and whats about mechanic keyboards?
i read the faq about it, buts its too difficult written, because my english is so bad ^^ little help would be nice!
sorry for annouying you! :(

ps: what are rubber domes ?

Offline peda

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 12:25:27 »
For an easier introduction and overview,  don't visit the Wiki here but go to http://keyboardlover.com/

Good basic information for you there!

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 20:47:31 »
I suggest mx browns for starcraft.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 October 2011, 23:27:00 »
There really isn't such thing as SC2 keyboard. Any keyboard that won't hurt your fingers after a long session of playing can be considered good keyboard for SC2.
As cheap as it may look (and it is actually quite cheap) Qsenn Dt-35 is one of the most popular progamer keyboard among Koreans.

Good luck figuring out what mechanical keyboard is all about. Its a deep whole that you will never get out once u dive in.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2011, 23:33:02 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Clickey

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 03:25:11 »
Look for a light switch if you have moderate to high apm. Spamming on ALPS/clears/blacks kills your fingers. Rubber domes are good (soft), but usually have 2kro and such poor reliability, I vote for one of the new cherry red boards. Programmable keys do not seem to work well in SC2, I don't know if the game just does not allow macros but I couldnt get them to work (I know lan tournaments ban programable keys, so blizzard obviously wants to inhibit them).

I am not a fan of topre pricetag but I bet they make decent starcraft boards if price is not an issue.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 09:47:16 »
Honestly I can play SC2 equally well on my Blue, Brown, and Topre switches. I've switched between the three as my favorite SC2 board though I would lean toward Browns as a general "can't lose" switch.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 09:52:30 »
Quote from: Clickey;425373
Look for a light switch if you have moderate to high apm. Spamming on ALPS/clears/blacks kills your fingers. Rubber domes are good (soft), but usually have 2kro and such poor reliability, I vote for one of the new cherry red boards. Programmable keys do not seem to work well in SC2, I don't know if the game just does not allow macros but I couldnt get them to work (I know lan tournaments ban programable keys, so blizzard obviously wants to inhibit them).

I am not a fan of topre pricetag but I bet they make decent starcraft boards if price is not an issue.

Macro that are more than a key remapping is actually a battle.net bannable offense. I highly recommend not using them. Programming a key to be another key is fine, doing more than that is very, very not allowed.

Also, Red switches are my least favorite for SC2. Too light and too little feedback when you're spamming commands during the game. They're serviceable and definitely work but I think the feedback of other switches makes a noticeable difference.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 11:08:37 »
Quote from: Chobopants;425463
Macro that are more than a key remapping is actually a battle.net bannable offense. I highly recommend not using them. Programming a key to be another key is fine, doing more than that is very, very not allowed.

Also, Red switches are my least favorite for SC2. Too light and too little feedback when you're spamming commands during the game. They're serviceable and definitely work but I think the feedback of other switches makes a noticeable difference.

I always bottom out hardcore while playing sc2, so tactility is not really an issue for me. I hate linears for every other use of the keyboard though, luckilly I have many keyboards I switch up using depending on what im doing.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 14:03:02 »
I bottom out when I play as well but the tactility helps me, to each his own though. It's a minor difference but I find the tactility helpful in SC2 which is more like typing than an FPS where you're constantly holding keys down.

Offline winterfellj

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:50:25 »
anyone with a strong opinion on 87u vs hhkb when it comes to SC2?

Offline peda

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:02:25 »
Quote from: winterfellj;427145
anyone with a strong opinion on 87u vs hhkb when it comes to SC2?

i don't have either but HHKB doesn't have dedicated F-keys.

that might disqualify it from your options?!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:05:33 by peda »

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:05:27 »
Topres for SC2 seem like diminished returns to me. :yo:
One response I heard is that topres don't have the same springy depress which wouldn't be good for spamming keys.

Offline winterfellj

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:19:26 »
Quote from: Glockateer;427160
Topres for SC2 seem like diminished returns to me. :yo:
One response I heard is that topres don't have the same springy depress which wouldn't be good for spamming keys.
okay so my decision comes down to Blues or Browns. Which would you choose?

Offline peda

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:23:51 »
Quote from: winterfellj;427174

the geekhack answer is

both

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:29:10 »
Quote from: winterfellj;427174

Browns like my post on page 1. Lighter actuation and easier double tap. :)

Offline yjhuoh

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 21:24:26 »
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Pro_gear

most popular switch on there is mx black from steelseries 6g/7g. this is most likely due to sponsorship reasons and not due to preference. the only other mechanical that appears a lot on that list is the razer blackwidow, with mx blues. as far as i know, it's the only mechanical keyboard out with macro capabilities. the 2kro bothers me a lot outside of gaming, though.

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 02:43:27 »
Quote from: yjhuoh;427327
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Pro_gear

most popular switch on there is mx black from steelseries 6g/7g. this is most likely due to sponsorship reasons and not due to preference. the only other mechanical that appears a lot on that list is the razer blackwidow, with mx blues. as far as i know, it's the only mechanical keyboard out with macro capabilities. the 2kro bothers me a lot outside of gaming, though.
Yes, steelseries and razer force a lot of teams to use their gear. Kind of like how the startale team uses zowie gear.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 02:57:30 »
Zowie mico is a good mouse, they are lucky to have them as a sponsor since they literally made the mouse for the startale players.

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 03:10:24 »
Yeah, I thought about that one time. I'd want to be sponsored by zowie compared to steelseries/razer.

Offline kkor

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 05:50:58 »
Honestly, topres are fine for starcraft 2. I play starcraft 2 at a high level with no problems. I have a filco tkl blues, ninja browns, hhkp2, realforce 87u 55g, and a steelseries 6g. I prefer to play sc2 with my realforce 87u. The feel of the realforce is just awesome and IMO it's absolutely fine for gaming. Of course the only problem with the topres is they are quite costly. Really though keyboards come right down to personal preference, you really have to try them out and see which one feels right for you.

Offline LostArk

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 08:08:00 »
Browns / rubber dome are the best choice for SC2.

Any player who uses a different type of switch only does so due to contractual obligation, e.g. Idra. <- GET IT LOL I'M SO FUNNY

Offline Wogrim

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 15:50:58 »
A bit harder to type without bottoming out, but I prefer my reds over my browns for SC2.  I think they make a bit less noise also, but that could be difference in the boards (leopold tenkeyless browns vs leopold full size reds).

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 16:07:58 »
I played SC2 with buckling springs just fine.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Slyce

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 09:24:40 »
Hiya,

I am a competative SC2 player and I use the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless which is fantastic!

I would not be without mine. I hope that helps

Oh Brown Switches!
Terran player for LiNK Gaming

Offline aRk77

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:26:55 »
IMO if you want a semi quiet mechanical keyboard I would go with one that has Cherry Brown switches. I like Blues a lot, but they tend to disturb a lot of poeple around me when im really into the game. I bought the Leopold FC200 Tenkeyless and I love typing on it. I think if you dont need a numpad it would be a great pick, although I think they have full-size browns as well now.

Offline neverlast74

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 04:37:29 »
sc2/gold/platin: I have clear (cherry), brown (filco/zowie), buckle spring (IBM) - and for me I love zowie celeritas brown with o-ring mod so tabbing is easier (for me) - what does that mean for you? NOTHING!!!! you have to find your path through the jungle....
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 04:42:14 »
You're going to have to find out which switches you like the most. But personally I love the browns. It doesn't tire me out even after going insane on the APM and yet has a little bit of tactile feel to it, which is good for keeping a good rythm.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline pitashen

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 04:55:26 »
Quote from: neverlast74;460566
sc2/gold/platin: I have clear (cherry), brown (filco/zowie), buckle spring (IBM) - and for me I love zowie celeritas brown with o-ring mod so tabbing is easier (for me) - what does that mean for you? NOTHING!!!! you have to find your path through the jungle....

Upon checking OP's profile:

Total Posts

Posts Per Day

Last Activity
    2 Oct 2011 18:17

You revived a thread that OP abandoned the day after he posted it. Good job!
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 04:59:11 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Clickey

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 17:57:12 »
You are jelous of our apms! :juggle: