Author Topic: Search for informations regarding a wonderful retro VFD/Floursecense Display  (Read 1853 times)

Offline mcc

Hi,

I bought a VFD display module (=> the bare VFD + PCB with controller and driver voltage
generator).

For this display I am looking for any informations, which helps me to revive this wonderful
piece of retro technique... :)

This VFD is labled  "DS M202-MD-07g-2", where "DS" seems to stand for "Display system".
The rest of the product number seems to be of the pattern FUTABA uses for its disopays,
but I did not find any datasheet there, which comes close to mine.

The VFD itsself consists of two rows with 20 characters each (5x7 dot matrix).

There is a jumper terminal with four positions marked as "TEST", "RxD3", "RxD2", "RxD1".

For controlling the VFD there are two (!) connectors with 16 pins each. Two pins of one
connector are marked GND and VCC.

On the PCB there -- beside other chips -- one, which seems to be the controller. It is marked
with

MHS
DS Speedy1
F1-80C51AXR
(c) Intel 80, 82
9505 .W31214K

I have attached a picture of the front and the back of this module.

What is the pinout of the connectors?
What protocol is used to drive this VFD?
What is the instruction set?

Any information or datasheet which helps me to revive this VFD is very appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any help !
Best regards,
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27821[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27822[/ATTACH]

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Search for informations regarding a wonderful retro VFD/Floursecense Display
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 23:24:51 »
I sort of looks to me like it uses a frequency, where you are able to light each bit for a fraction of a second, and the flicker is taken care of via persistence on the phosphor.

Though there's a good chance I'm wrong on that one.

I don't think it's worth looking into, unless there are some easy answers. Trying to find it out is going to be a pain. Mouser, y'know sells VFD (with interpretor/driver) that'll fit the ubiquitous Hitachi-style (16 pin)signals for pretty cheap (like $30).