Author Topic: Where to buy Filco in Canada?  (Read 9631 times)

Offline Hideyshi

Where to buy Filco in Canada?
« on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:10:09 »
Hello everyone!

I recently have showed interest in the field of mechanical keyboards. After a bit of lurking and researching I came across these forums, and with the information I have gathered from here, I decided I would like to purchase a Filco Majestouch TKL w/ MX Browns.

I need a bit more help from you however. Where am I able to purchase a Filco board in Canada? I'm not very comftorable with purchasing from a Chinese company with a credit card, due to the fact that it is simply unsafe.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Offline Uninstall

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:19:20 »
Nowhere.

Offline Hideyshi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:28:35 »
Thank you for your help.

Offline kraise

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:30:31 »
Well, I don't believe there are any retailers that carry Filco products in Canada locally but you can try The Keyboard Company (UK) or good ol' eBay. You could give Amazon.com a shot but they don't ship these to Canada so you will probably need someone stateside to help you out.

Another option is to try looking at the Classifieds section here at geekhack and you may find someone local to buy from.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch Linear R TKL | Matias Tactile Pro 3 LE Silver & Black | Matias Quiet Pro

Offline Hideyshi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:37:23 »
Thank you. my good sir! I appreciate your help.

Offline kraise

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 14:50:59 »
You're very welcome!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch Linear R TKL | Matias Tactile Pro 3 LE Silver & Black | Matias Quiet Pro

Offline jackdan

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 15:25:00 »
Hi

I bought mine there. Not cheap but i got it in good shape with no problem.

http://www.hksuntec.com/

Offline jackdan

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 15:28:51 »
...but, take a look for Rosewill keyboard. Looks really like Filco keyboard. :-)

And you will save a lot of money.

I just got one with Cherry MX Blue. Change the Logo on it and it's a Filco, same shape. But maybe different board and keycaps.

Offline kraise

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 15:51:28 »
Quote from: jackdan;426061
...but, take a look for Rosewill keyboard. Looks really like Filco keyboard. :-)

And you will save a lot of money.

I just got one with Cherry MX Blue. Change the Logo on it and it's a Filco, same shape. But maybe different board and keycaps.

I tried my best to think of as many options as possible so thanks for mentioning http://www.hksuntec.com/.

Rosewill is definitely a great choice as well but no TKL option if the OP is looking for one. Otherwise it is a great deal for a mech 'board and I may even have to pick one up myself to try blue switches...

Offline fantus

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 15:58:19 »
When I bought my Filco i purchased it from Amazon courtesy of the Keyboard Company. If you live near the U.S. border you can have it shipped to the closest american UPS and have them hold onto it for $5, then you go to the store sometime to pick it up.
Amazon currently sells Filco full keyboards for $160, and tenkeyless for $150.

EDIT: you can also have UPS ship it from their store to your home, but that costs an extra $30.

Offline mojojj13

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 18:55:25 »
I live in Canada too, there are a few ways to get a Filco...

- classifieds (this is how I got mine)
- PCHome / Armygroup / etc
- Amazon.com and ship to a US address, then go to pick it up or have it shipped again.

It sucks that there are no official retailers here, I know =(.

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:17:31 »
What about Leopold?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab

Seems to be pretty much the same as the Filco, from what I gather. $30 shipping...hopefully no duties are charged.

Offline N8N

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:19:17 »
AFAIK the major difference between Filco and Leopold is the Cherry stabilizers.  How much of a big deal that is to you, I don't know.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:29:19 »
I wasn't aware of the stabilizer difference. What will the difference between the two keyboards be in practice? I wasn't aware that stabilizers existed...they're certainly not mentioned on the product page.

Offline N8N

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:32:05 »
I don't really know, as I don't have a Leopold so have never tried Cherry style stabilizers on a plate mounted board.

The stabilizers are the things on the long keys (2x and longer) that keep them from wobbling when you hit them off center.  So really, only things like shift, enter, space, etc. would feel any different.  Some people say the costar stabilizers give a more consistent feel (that is, they don't change the feel of the switch as much) but how much of that is true I don't know.

The other thing about Leopolds is they use a different spacing for the stabilizer posts on the space bar from Filco etc. but that is really only relevant if you are looking to get custom keycaps.  If you are happy with the stock ones it's completely irrelevant.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Hideyshi

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 17:38:28 »
After a bit of research, I did end up purchasing a Leopold TKL with MX Browns about 3 days ago. I hope to get it in soon.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Hideyshi

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 17:39:12 »
After a bit of research, I did end up purchasing a Leopold TKL with MX Browns about 3 days ago. I hope to get it in soon.

Thanks for your help!