Author Topic: First mech, WASD or Filco TKL  (Read 3565 times)

Offline quartz

First mech, WASD or Filco TKL
« on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:22:21 »
Hey, guys. Been looking for a new keyboard and stumbled upon your forum. After a few days of research I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of two choices.

A. Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless with Cherry MX blues

B. WASD v1 semi-custom, full size with Cherry MX blues and the o-ring mod, dark grey keys with a blue Esc key.

Both are pretty much $140

The board will be used for a mix of typing and gaming (only use numpad for credit cards and phone numbers, occasional excel). I've never used a tenkeyless, but I could see how it would be nice to have more space and make my typing position more ergonomic. With the WASD, I like the key cap colors, and I think I will enjoy the o-ring mod, which, if I wanted on the filco I would have to buy some rings and do myself.

Are there any other differences I'm unaware of? Which would you guys recommend?

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:29:04 »
Personally I'd go for the WASD as their relatively similar in quality and WASD offers a level of customization that you would have to buy separate keycaps to get on your filco.

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:36:40 »
WASD=More options.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:42:39 »
I'd say it really depends on if you prefer having the numpad or the extra desk space.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:52:41 »
I had the same thought as you, and went with the WASD. I'm very happy with my decision.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 21:56:00 »
Personally, I like the 'modding' so I'd be forced to go with the tenkeyless. O-ring it myself if I didn't like the blues feel, and get caps from WASD if you so choose later. Filco's also have a better chance of selling back incase you do not like blues. I suggest trying a black widow original as well as the stealth. If you like stealth better, go browns, original=blues. Just my cup'o'caps though.:smile:

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 22:14:48 »
Quote from: SmallFry;426701
Personally, I like the 'modding' so I'd be forced to go with the tenkeyless. O-ring it myself if I didn't like the blues feel, and get caps from WASD if you so choose later. Filco's also have a better chance of selling back incase you do not like blues. I suggest trying a black widow original as well as the stealth. If you like stealth better, go browns, original=blues. Just my cup'o'caps though.:smile:

Well, you can just ask me to leave your keyboard unassembled :tongue:
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 22:28:43 »
If I ever do order a WASD (money constraints) I'll have mine disassembled! Would everything come disassembled? Including the pcb not being soldered etc? Cuz I'd personally really enjoy that.

Offline WorldExclusive

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 22:32:48 »
I tried many boards and the WASD is my favorite right now.
Leopold TKL White w/ Red Switches and Red on Black DS Caps

Offline Meekis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 October 2011, 22:35:24 »
Just ordered my WASD on Sunday.  I am stoked!

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 October 2011, 02:04:00 »
Quote from: SmallFry;426719
If I ever do order a WASD (money constraints) I'll have mine disassembled! Would everything come disassembled? Including the pcb not being soldered etc? Cuz I'd personally really enjoy that.

No, it wouldn't come that disassembled. We have the complete base assembled at the factory. We only put on the stabilizers, keycaps, and then perform any laser marking.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 October 2011, 02:32:40 »
I actually just purchased the same keyboards as mentioned by the OP. Except I choose the Cherry MX Browns instead for a bit quieter in the work space. Personally I like the WASD as it's high quality, custom options (I was happy with the semi-custom), and good pricing. The Filco TKL is nice but I'm thinking I'll keep the WASD for my main keyboard at home, and the Filco at work where I need to save more desk space.

Quality wise I think they are the same, but if you want options WASD is the way to go.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 07:30:17 »
I had the same questions. I went with WASD and I love it !

Of course now I want a TKL in Reds/Browns.

I would love to buy another WASD but I think he said the TKL version won't be out until sometime next year  ( Although there has already been 15 posts of interest on these forums for the    CM STORM Rapid in reds + The speed that the Filco TKL in reds sold out. )

I think WASD would quickly increase company value offering something like that to compete with the Corsairs and CM Storms  (NOT SO SUBTLE HINT WASD OWNER !!! )   /overexaggerated wink of secret knowlege
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline N8N

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 07:48:50 »
I think it comes down to form factor and aesthetic preference.  If you aren't really set on tenkeyless I'd give the edge to WASD especially so now that you have a choice of two different processes for the keycaps.  Warning: looking at their web site can make you buy stuff.  I just got a set of keycaps last night that I really didn't need, just because it's so cool to be able to improve the appearance of your keyboard.  (of course, I suppose it's also easy to make your keyboard look worse, if you make a poor design choice...)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 14:01:15 »
I have to say from personal experience that I prefer tenkeyless boards because it allows me to have more access to my mouse/mouse pad without having to have my arms spread way across my desk. In the long run it has made my arms feel less tired from being in a position for like a first person shooter for a while. Which is great for lan parties.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline Lanx

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:00:11 »
WASD would dominate with TKL... i don't even like non ergo keyboards but i'd gladly recommend them, good pricing, free shipping and vender friendly with GH... why not? i'm about to get some dental bands from them. (but heard i should wait for the red dental bands?)