Author Topic: Recommend me a keyboard (Cherry MX Brown vs Topre)  (Read 7435 times)

Offline TheExodu5

Recommend me a keyboard (Cherry MX Brown vs Topre)
« on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 12:57:15 »
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my keyboard. I'm currently using a Logitech Illuminated (first run without the ghosting issues) which I love. It's a scissor switch keyboard with fairly long travel (for a scissor switch) and a fairly crisp action. I'm starting to feel its age a bit, though, and I think it's time to move on.

I play games of about every type, including the more keyboard heavy games like Starcraft 2, Counter-Strike, Heroes of Newerth, etc... Now, since I'm coming from a fairly silent keyboard, I don't think I could deal with the click of MX Blues. It seems to me like I should probably be looking at both the MX Brown and Topre keyboards. I had my eyes on either the Leopold MX Brown or Topre Realforce 87U (this would give me more mousing real estate).

When I'm on the computer, I'm either posting on forums, coding, or playing games. This keyboard will be multi-purpose.

My main fear with the browns is the noise level...since I'm coming from a fairly silent keyboard, I'm not sure how well I will be dealing with the clack of plastic on plastic with a mechanical keyboard. Then again, I have an alternate fear with the Topre (besides the price tag) in which I'm not sure just how mushy the keys will feel compared to my current keyboard. Also, is the Topre worth the added price? Do the keys feel nicer? How big of a concern is the black on black lettering. Is 55g too heavy?

It's a shame I don't have the opportunity to try any of these out in person. That would certainly make things a lot easier.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

edit: with the news that Leopold is going to sell Tenkeyless Reds, maybe I should consider that as well? It seems like a linear switch would be weird though, what with the key activating without any feedback whatsoever. Even membrane and scissor switch keyboards give feedback roughly when the key activates.

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:16:49 »
I think I'll steer clear from the Topre. $375 (after shipping) it too much to start out, I think.

Now my options are: MX Brown, MX Red, O-rings. I don't know. :(

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:22:27 »
Yeah, I'm glad I got mine for about $100 less when the USD was stronger.  Go with the Cherry MX browns or reds, you will be happy with either.  The noise really isn't bad at all.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:28:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;427119
Go with the Cherry MX browns or reds, you will be happy with either.  The noise really isn't bad at all.

Browns aren't that bad if you're not bottoming out all the time.  it's definitely louder than rubber domes, but it's not a sharp high pitch noise like the blues.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:38:08 »
get a topre. they fart
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline winterfellj

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:39:17 »
unlike the op i do not think the premium on the topre boards are too much to start out with. that is if they are worth it. Can someone with experiences give a honest opinion on the Topre's value? Are they dollar for dollar worth the price? I have read on this forum that Browns are a cheaper alternative. I say if the Topre's are worth it then I might as well get it straight off the bat and not waste time and money wondering. But if the Browns, Reds, or Blues hold up to their worth I wouldn't mind saving ~$200. Thanks W.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:39:27 »
Quote from: noodles256;427130
get a topre. they fart

haha, why not just make a huge keyboard made of woopie cushions

Offline winterfellj

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:42:29 »
currently my choices are the Filco tenkeyless blue switch, or the Filco Ninja Brown (both ~150 on Amazon).
or I can wait for the Corsair K series for the Red switch.
Finally I was thinking of going for either the 86u or the HHKB Pro 2 from Elitekeyboards.com.
The 87u is nice, but the premium on that is just ridiculous right now.
Anyone has experience with all three can give a strong recommendation either way?

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:44:30 »
There are Leopold Tenkeyless Browns on elitekeyboards as well, btw. That's what I'm considering at the moment.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab

I mean, the Topre might be really nice, but when you consider they're 3x the price of a Cherry MX Brown keyboard, I find it hard to justify.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:47:59 »
Quote from: TheExodu5;427137
There are Leopold Tenkeyless Browns on elitekeyboards as well, btw. That's what I'm considering at the moment.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtab

I mean, the Topre might be really nice, but when you consider they're 3x the price of a Cherry MX Brown keyboard, I find it hard to justify.

that's my main driver at home.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:49:14 »
I'm using a Leopold Tenkeyless Brown right now, and I gotta say, I don't like it as much as my Razer BWU with blues, probably because it's less tactile. I also love the noise of the blues.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 15:49:50 »
Now, my only concern now is the fact that it uses ABS keys. I can get a Ducky Cherry MX Brown keyboard with PBT keys for about the same price. Wouldn't that be better?

http://www.tankguys.com/ducky-keyboard-mx-overclock-net-edition-tenkeyless-brown-pbt.html

Not a fan of the branding, though...

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:39:52 »
ducky no more sucky. actually, i dont know about that
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:44:10 »
Quote from: TheExodu5;427144
Now, my only concern now is the fact that it uses ABS keys. I can get a Ducky Cherry MX Brown keyboard with PBT keys for about the same price. Wouldn't that be better?

http://www.tankguys.com/ducky-keyboard-mx-overclock-net-edition-tenkeyless-brown-pbt.html

Not a fan of the branding, though...

I would go with the G2 Year of the Tiger edition from PCHome (see the WW shopping links in the Wiki).  You will be well-rewarded.  Otherwise, I would go with the Filco.  You will be disappointed with the printing on the OCN edition.  The engraved caps are much better.

Or, go with WASD.  They're awesome.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 16:44:48 »
I think the general consensus when I went shopping for my first one was that cherry brown was the best first mechanical to try. I went down that root and I'm happy I did. I could be wrong
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Tony

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 09:55:14 »
Both are the best though in different ways. You probably will end up buying both of them, so which keyboard to buy first is irrelevant.

I would start with brown first if I were you.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline TheExodu5

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 22:04:24 »
Whoa. That Ducky keyboard looks nice.