Author Topic: Is that a model M?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Is that a model M?
« on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 22:15:23 »
I just saw this story on MSN.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42183592/ns/business-careers/t/nine-jobs-humans-may-lose-robots/?gt1=43001 [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28061

[/ATTACH]

I thought it was funny that the robot is using a keyboard that could easily be over 25 years old.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline wcass

Is that a model M?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 23:14:29 »
i don't think so. the profile is wrong.

Offline Lanx

Is that a model M?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 23:34:55 »
computer monitor and case seem to be circa 2004 too lol, when's the last time we saw beige anything?

Offline Pretendo

Is that a model M?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 23:39:50 »
The keyboard was much too puny, but that article is a little bit disconcerting.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Is that a model M?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 09:36:58 »
I'll say it was disconcerting!  I work as a technical support supervisor with UPS.  When a customer has an issue with either the shipping software, our web site, or even hardware that we sometimes provide, it's our job to assist them in getting their systems back up and running.  With all of the resources at our disposal, I could easily see a time when voice recognition and speach synthesis are good enough to do the job my agents do.  If robots can take care of typing, and computers can take care of the customers, there's no telling what the future would be like.  We're getting closer and closer to that reality every day.  

The human species would essentially become outdated and obsolete.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Is that a model M?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 11:05:40 »
Actually, if you were purpose designing something to do the job of those people (like the sports writer one) it would, in person, be just a single machine or two sitting there humming. No need for moving parts or actually audible conversations. Sort of like, why would you build a robot that is capable of driving a car instead of simply building a robot car that drives itself.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)