Author Topic: Looking for a mechanical keyboard  (Read 1111 times)

Offline jooks1184

Looking for a mechanical keyboard
« on: Fri, 07 October 2011, 23:58:04 »
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums but read around that this is where I should go for help with mechanical keyboards. So, I'm in the market for a mechanical keyboard. After reviewing various brands and models, I've decided that I want either a Leopold or Das. I've read good things about both. Also, I've decided on Cherry MX Blue switches. I've heard that leopold is made by the same manufacturere as Filco, which, from reading the forums here, has a great reputation. My question is how does the quality of the leopold compare with the filco? Also, is leopold worth getting over a Das? I found that newegg.com is selling the Blue and Brown switch Das' for 114.99 and 119.99 respectively with free shipping. Just thought I'd put that there for those looking for a deal on Das keyboards. Anyway, please let me know your opinions.

**Some might be wondering why I'm not just getting a filco. One problem is the price. I do want the best, but I don't want to spend that much. Though a filco keyboard is something I do want to own in the future. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 00:06:03 »
For the record on the Das, if you're an American student, you can get a 20% discount. The only problem people have with the Leopolds in comparison to the Filcos is really that the Leopolds use a Cherry style stabilizer, whereas the Filcos use a Costar style stabilizer. Some people claim there's a huge difference in feel, but not one that I have noticed. I would say if you can get the discount on the Das, definitely go for that if the finish doesn't bother you. If it does, a Leopold is an excellent choice. The Leopolds also come with a red Esc key, which is nice. I have it on mine, and I very much like the contrast.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 00:12:59 »
Thanks for the fast reply Quar. Yeah, if I could I would definitely get a filco, but the price is a big deterrent for me. So, you mention stabilizers, can you go into detail about those? I'm not very knowledgable on the keyboards. Also, what factors leaned you towards the leopold? Is there anything about the Das, besides the glossy finish, that might be a deterrent to some people?

Offline dreadful

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 00:47:00 »
You could get a Rosewill board FWIR their basically just rebranded Filcos http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

Offline dreadful

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 00:55:01 »
You could get a Rosewill board with blues their $99 on newegg w/free shipping FWIR their just rebranded Filcos

(Sorry if this becomes a double post wasn't sure how long it would take a mod to approve my post with the link)

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 06:21:04 »
Since you still want to have a Filco in the future, I suggest you should have one right from the start.

You can only use one keyboard at a time, so to buy a Filco is actually very economical in the long run. You will not have to buy other keyboards unless you want to become a keyboard collector.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm