Author Topic: Looking for a white mechanical keyboard with backlight  (Read 6900 times)

Offline MJNevin

Looking for a white mechanical keyboard with backlight
« on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 14:37:25 »
I have been searching extensively but have been unable to find a white (not oldschool grey) mechanical keyboard with backlighting. This is my first mechanical so i figure switch type isn't extremely important since I'll be getting used to something new no matter what, but it must good for gaming. In a perfect world it would come with UV LED backlights, but since I've yet to see any keyboard with UV backlight I'm assuming I'll have to mod it myself. Any advice on that front is greatly welcome too since I've never done anything like it.

Oh and I'd prefer consistent key pressure over all keys but since I'm already being picky I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for any help!
-Nevin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:04:13 »
No such thing as far as I know. It's already hard getting a white keyboard, can't imagine one with backlighting.

But I have a question for you, why do you need backlighting as a gamer? Wouldn't constantly looking down ruin your gaming? I'd figure gamers would be the first to learn how to touch type since you need to stay alert on what is on your screen.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:07:01 »
Because backlighting is the cool thing and will make anyone a better gamer...at least that's what has always been advertised...

Offline kingqway

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:08:48 »
Regardless of if lighting is great for gaming, there is a guy on deskthority that painted his black widow with white, and then simply put everything back together, and it came out looking really nice. You should look that up, as I don't really remember the direct link.

Obviously in the real sense backlighting does absolutely nothing for a gamer, as his eyes should be on the screen anyways, but I don't care what people's preferences are. Unless you bring your modding up a notch, you won't find a white keyboard with backlighting.
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown

Offline MJNevin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:18:04 »
Quote from: hcry4;427611
Because backlighting is the cool thing and will make anyone a better gamer...at least that's what has always been advertised...

I admit it is entirely for appearance. I've only ever had a few computers, and this is my first custom build. So yes, I do want it to look good. The look I'm building the rig around is white with UV lighting, so I'm trying to continue that theme on my peripherals.

Would it be possible to get a white mechanical and rig up my own backlighting? Obviously this would also require installing laser etched keys too but that seems fairly easy with mechanicals.

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:19:44 »
^this is the link to the white black widow http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=410

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:22:20 »
Fair enough. Like demik said though, white boards are not as readily available themselves, so your desired keyboard probably doesn't exist.

Sounds like a lot of work though for custom modding backlighting into a white mechanical keyboard...

Good luck with the search and/or endeavor.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:33:50 »
One way you could go is get a deck 82 and buy the clear casing(not true white but the LEDs will help with that) then switch out all the LEDs to whatever color you want. Aside from ruining the pcb, deck is okay with modding their keyboards.

But that seems like too much work just for looks IMO. Plus the keycaps are still black (with that hideous font) and it has a layout that's kind of weird. But just a thought.

Offline MJNevin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:42:23 »
Thanks for the help. It's looking more and more like I'll just settle for a white one. Any recommendations on something like that for gaming? Preferably with the characters on the keys and easily ordered in America.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:51:19 »
Elitekeyboards is going to sell white tenkeyless leopolds starting next week, well the preorder is next week. They are suppose to come in all switches (brown, black, blue and hopefully red). Their white looks better than the filco creamy white IMO)

But you can get white filcos from thekeyboardco through amazon right now. Again, it's more light cream colored than white. There is also plu ml87 but that's 2kro, not too ideal for gaming. And it has too much branding IMO.

Realforce 87u also comes in white.

Offline kingqway

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:54:29 »
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=410

Here's the link to what I was referring to about the whitewidow. Hope it helps.

EDIT: Hm.. they didn't use the ultimate though, So I don't know how much changes with that.
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown