Author Topic: Precision Booster feature in non-microsoft mice ?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline zareliman

Precision Booster feature in non-microsoft mice ?
« on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 20:28:12 »
I started this post since I want to replicate that useful feature shown in microsoft's intellipoint software called Precision Booster that let's you assign a button to decrease sensitivity while it's pressed. This is extremely useful for those moments when you need to increase your accouracy temporarily (sniper headshot or drawing details) and it's much faster than pressing one button to decrease your sensitivity and then another to go back to normal (plus pressing 2 buttons for one purpose increase your error chance by square factor when compared to just pressing 1 button for the same purpose).

I've seen other companies offering the same feature:
Cyborg R.A.T.: "Precision Aim Mode – Hit your target the first time every time. Use the ST Programming Software to set your desired Precision Aim speed (mouse sensitivity), then hold down the Precision Aim button to slow down mouse movement to a level that works for you. A deadly weapon that will hit your enemy where it hurts."

Roccat: "EASY-AIM AND EASY-WHEEL A second button next to the Easy-Shift
  • ™ button can be used for the Easy-Aim and Easy-Wheel functions. While the Easy-Aim button is held depressed, you’ll automatically game at a preselected DPI setting – really useful in situations such as when precise in-game aiming is called for, where a quick DPI setting change is required. The Easy-Wheel function works in the same way and can be used to control the Aero Flip 3D feature in Windows 7 or even the volume level, among other things."

I've read a LOT about this, some people achieve this with autohotkeys software but it only works on the desktop since newer games have their own sensitivity engine so the registry calls won't work. The idea is to interact directly with the mouse but that would require rewriting some software or, at least, to know how the propietary software communicates with the mouse.
 Any suggestions ? Does logitech offer a similar feature ? My actual TTesports and razer mice don't offer this feature so I'm looking for a new mouse.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 21:03:20 »
Corsair's new Vengeance M60 has a Sniper thumb button for this.

Logitech's stuff has +/- and DPI cycling assignable to a button.  I've never had it but if you can tell it to only cycle through 2 different DPIs then that's equivalent.

Looks like Steelseries' software can do this too.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline zareliman

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 22:43:35 »
Thanks for your reply. Indeed the SS can tag between 2 CPI settings but that can only be assigned to the button behind the wheel which I find really difficult to reach since you have to use one of your main fingers to do so... the whole precision aim thing is useless if you can't shoot while changing CPI lightning fast.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 01:35:49 »
Yeah, I was looking at that and thinking how obnoxious that button position is.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline shogrran

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 09:46:22 »
I think exactAim does pretty much the same. But it doesnt have a button though
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline shaippen

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 16:33:13 »
Quote from: shogrran;427907
I think exactAim does pretty much the same. But it doesnt have a button though

That's just positive accel right? If so its completely different, making the cursor move exponentially slower as you move the mouse slower, generally undesirable.

Offline zareliman

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 21:18:06 »
That's not it. ExactAim sets a thereshold of movement to reduce jittering at high cpi settings... I don't know why SS does encourage that.