Author Topic: So many keyboards...please help me find the right one  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Nocci

So many keyboards...please help me find the right one
« on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 13:39:05 »
Hello geekhack!

I'm pretty new to these boards but I've learned enough already to not be that naive and think that there's THE ONE, but I'm currently looking to get another keyboard and I want to make sure I did the research. I'm currently typing on a Cherry G80 with MX Clear, my gateway drug so to speak ;) I've only gotten into mechanical keyboards a few months ago and I'm slowly starting to realize there's quite a lot of stuff out there beyond the mainstream Razer & Steelseries stuff.

It's main purpose will be playing SC2 and some chatting, let me try to put it in a list:

must:
-solid build quality - I want something sturdy, something that could save my life in a zombie apocalypse ;)
-Cherry MX brown

should:
-tenkeyless
-look subtle
(-F keys not too far away, not all that important but would be nice)

don't care much about:
-backlighting (slight pro I guess)
-colour
-nkro - nice to have I guess but never missed it so far
-layout - don't mind having a second keyboard on my desk for writing longer stuff/working, so I'm fine with a non-german layout

should not:
-cost me (much) more than 150€ incl shipping to germany and some extra keycaps

must not:
-be glossy (hate that development in consumer electronics over the last ~5 years)

As you probably got the hint from the "should not" point, I'm looking to customise it a bit. I want to put on some new caps for better contrast, so it's easier to recognise where stuff is at from peripheral glancing. Also I was wondering if there's keycaps made from different types of materials, a difference I could tell just from touching?

So I hope you can answer my questions:

Which keyboards match my requirements? (aka which manufacturers should I look into?)
What keycaps would fit those?
Where can I possibly buy both to save shipping costs?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 14:51:23 »
wclm2gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 15:04:56 »
Hey there! I was pretty much in the same position as you just a few days ago. I don't own any Cherry boards currently (I do have one in the mail now), but I can relay some of my picks based on other's experiences.

For what you're looking for, I feel that either a Filco or Leopold TKL would be worth looking in to. Both have very solid build quality, and offer MX Browns. I went for a blank Leopold since I love the simplistic look, and it's one of the cheapest quality options out there. I've also heard good things about the Choc Mini, but it's up to you whether that layout would be good.

You can easily get the Leopold and Filco on elitekeyboards, but I personally don't know how good their international shipping is. I've seen the Filco on Amazon for $150, and the Choc Mini for under $100 on Ebay. Also, look into the classifieds here on Geekhack.

As for keycaps, I'd ask someone else on that. I'm too picky about accidentally buying caps that are too short or tall.

Side note: Welcome to Geekhack!

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 15:09:23 »
I would also advise you to consider plate mounted vs PCB mounted cherry brown switches.  These feel a lot different in terms of bottoming out.  I highly prefer PCB mounted cherry brown switches over plate mounted, especially if there is no flex in the PCB.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline mattrm

• matthewmoore.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:17:25 »
I just got a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Cherry Browns.  Really nice board.  I got mine for £108 inc P&P, so I'm sure you'll be able to pick up something for under 150 Euros.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:23:55 »
^+1
Keyboardless

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:33:31 »
" something that could save my life in a zombie apocalypse ;)"

In that case you have no choice. You must buy a Model F Terminal board.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 16:57:20 »
IMHO you have to try the diferent switched first ( cherry mx, topre, BS, ALPHS, etc). In that way it will be easier to narrow your search.

You can ask to the GH guys near your area, if you can stop by to test certiam switch
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline duncan

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 06:06:26 »
Quote from: cactux;429135
In that way it will be easier to narrow your search.

I think the "narrow down" is already as narrow as it can get.
Quote from: Nocci;429004
must:
-Cherry MX brown

Did you read the thread?

=========================================

@Nocci
Buy a Filco from here
http://www.keyboardco.com/
and all your criteria will be met.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2011, 06:11:47 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline enoy21

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 08:50:42 »
Cherry Brown and Tenkeyless and Hefty.

That narrows it down to only a few selections.  

Filco/Leapold/Choppo Mini/CM Storm/Poker/PLU87  ( Ducky? )   If TKL is not a requirement , Then it opens up to a ton more which would include WASD which has shown to be a very nice board by experienced members here.

Of those you have the Choppo/Poker in extremely small sizes and different layouts  I personally found them too drastic of a change for me.

Filco/CM Storm are basically the same keyboard if I understand correctly and are very much appreciated on this board ( where as I think Ducky's are preferred at OCN )
Leopold is pretty much the same as Filco/CM Storm except the stabilizers are different for the longer keys
I don't know much about the PLU's and Ducky's but it seems some people love them.  I don't think the PLU is NKRO though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2011, 08:52:55 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 08:53:15 »
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Nocci

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 11:26:02 »
Thanks for your input!

I've been browsing the reviews section for a while now and my 2 favourites so far are the Noppoo Choc Mini and Filco Majestouch 2 TKL.

The Filco seems easy to get from keyboardco.com, for the Noppoo I'd have to resort to ebay I guess?
Definitely have to think about it for a while since the Choc Mini is quite different...but something about it fascinates me :)
Any hints on keycap sources?

Offline enoy21

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 12:54:48 »
Check the Groupbuy sections.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 13:26:41 »
Quote from: mattrm;429116
I just got a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Cherry Browns.  Really nice board.  I got mine for £108 inc P&P, so I'm sure you'll be able to pick up something for under 150 Euros.

^^^^ I cannot recommend that board enough. My Filco 87 key w/ Browns is my favorite board. By far.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 13:43:23 »
Quote from: daerid;429559
^^^^ I cannot recommend that board enough. My Filco 87 key w/ Browns is my favorite board. By far.

my Tenkeyless with cherry browns is my favorite as well

Offline Nocci

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:53:07 »
I want to thank you all for your input!

After a long boring night at work and a day full of sleep I'm thinking of picking up the Choc Mini.

While the Filco seems to fit my initial criteria better, there's something about the Choc Mini that really makes me wanna get it^^;
Also it's rather a "get the Choc Mini now and the Filco later"-feeling than get one over the other, I'm thinking of picking up a Filco (but with MX Blues then) for Christmas or so :)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:55:16 »
ok
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Kubix

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:10:22 »
Filco, no contest. I'm in love with my Ninja.