Author Topic: kbc poker PBT vs kbc poker ABS  (Read 3418 times)

Offline HaiiYaa

kbc poker PBT vs kbc poker ABS
« on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 01:25:27 »
Hi

I am going to order a kbc poker and I was setting on getting the version with the PBT keycaps, but after reading the review by REVENGE I'm not too sure if its worth the additional 21$ cost. Anyone tried both versions?

Offline calavera

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 08:30:04 »
I dunno, what switch are you looking for? I'm going to sell mine soon.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 08:47:47 »
Spend the $21 and get the PBT.  You will be well rewarded.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:43:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;430079
I prefer the keys on my unicomp, which I think are PBT? to the ABS keys on my WASD.

They feel nice. I'd go for PBT if I were you.

Also, if you don't think it is worth the price, you can sell them and buy some ABS doubleshots later.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:45:55 »
I wish I could get PBT keys printed with Colemak legends :( Not that I need to look at the letters but I like to have the number row printed so a blank set isn't the best but if I go with printed I have to see Qwerty.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:58:04 »
Quote from: calavera;430073
I dunno, what switch are you looking for? I'm going to sell mine soon.

Already ordrered the poker PBT with cherry mx brown switches

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 10:58:47 »
Quote from: itlnstln;430079

Thank you

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 12:28:37 »
Quote from: ripster;430176
I need to update my KBC/OCN/Ducky Engraved PBT review with 6 month usage results.

The KBC/OCN/Ducky PBT white would be pretty much same quality like those found on the poker?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 12:37:16 »
They should be exactly the same.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:56:27 »
Hey HaiiYaa. Good choice.

ABS gets shiny so ****ing easily and there's nothing worse than the feel of a shiny keycap.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:58:02 »
get the poker with pbt. abs is abs
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 17:07:20 »
Quote from: F u r u y á;430450
Hey HaiiYaa. Good choice.

ABS gets shiny so ****ing easily and there's nothing worse than the feel of a shiny keycap.

Agreed thats the only thing I didnt like about the filco. POM keycaps feel kinda slippery in a way while PBT feels much better

but I just had my worries about the quality of those used on the poker as REVENGE said that the windows in the keycaps with LED shine through small holes

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 17:54:26 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;430463
Agreed thats the only thing I didnt like about the filco. POM keycaps feel kinda slippery in a way while PBT feels much better

but I just had my worries about the quality of those used on the poker as REVENGE said that the windows in the keycaps with LED shine through small holes

And PBT is incredbly durable. I've got an almost ten years old PBT keycaps (from a Cherry POS) and none of them show any sign of shinyness!

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 18:11:51 »
My Filco space bar is not shiny after two months!

(but ASDF and J are shiny).

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 18:18:20 »
I used to thwack like a son of ***** in the rubber dome times.

I do not alternate too (I use only left thumb). It should not be so difficult though (it was not difficult to learn to alternate the shifts).

Offline Mofficer

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 23:41:51 »
Hey guys, I'm a bit new around here. I thought it might be best to post my question in this thread, instead of making a new one.

I've got my eye on the KBC poker as my first mechanical keyboard, and I want to get PBT keycaps for longevity. I live in the States, so my options to buy this keyboard is very limited.  eBay...and well eBay...I'm not 100% comfortable buying a PBT one, in fear of receiving one with ABS keycaps since I've known of some potential eBay shenanigans. I wont be able to return the product if I test the keycaps with acetone or the boiling water tests.  Do you guys know where I can order a 100% PBT KBC poker without having to worry about getting scammed?

*edit: if it helps, I want one with MX Reds

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 00:13:35 »
Quote from: Mofficer;430747
Hey guys, I'm a bit new around here. I thought it might be best to post my question in this thread, instead of making a new one.

I've got my eye on the KBC poker as my first mechanical keyboard, and I want to get PBT keycaps for longevity. I live in the States, so my options to buy this keyboard is very limited.  eBay...and well eBay...I'm not 100% comfortable buying a PBT one, in fear of receiving one with ABS keycaps since I've known of some potential eBay shenanigans. I wont be able to return the product if I test the keycaps with acetone or the boiling water tests.  Do you guys know where I can order a 100% PBT KBC poker without having to worry about getting scammed?

*edit: if it helps, I want one with MX Reds

qtan sells them here.  He does a lot of business on GH and can be trusted.  He sells on ebay too, but I don't see this particular item on his store page.

Edit: nm, he has what you want: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Poker-40-MINI-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-W-PBT-key-caps-/300600110257

Offline cokenbeer

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 11:58:36 »
Highly recommend buying from qtan!

I purchased this exact keyboard from him about two weeks ago. Opted for express shipping and received it quickly. The box was slightly damaged from shipping, but the keyboard itself was in perfect condition!

Absolutely LOVE the Poker with MX reds and PBT caps!

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 13:38:04 »
Quote from: ripster;430520
My PBT spacebar is shiny after 6 months.

I must type more.

Different people also seem to simply have generally a different impact on the wear their boards take, beyond just how much something is used. Before I got my first mech I used the same $4 inland rubber dome for 3-4 years straight and didn't even shine it. A few of the letters were only just starting to wear at the edges when I stopped using it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 14:15:54 »
Body chemistry, hand lotion, etc. play a big part in key shine.  My keys tend to maintain their matte finish longer than others' I have seen.  I wash my hands a lot, too, as I hate touching a keyboard with dirty hands.